Catholic Statues??

Hello all,

I was wondering, where is it that you like to acquire your statues from? I want to get more statues of saints and the Blessed Virgin Mary to fill my room and my house with. I already have a statue of Our Lady of Fatima (because I’m Portuguese) and one of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

So, where do you like to purchase more mid-range statues from?

Or do you buy antique statues sometimes? Also, if anyone has any statues that they have that they do not want any more, please let me know because I would be more than willing to take them off your hands and give them a good home. :slight_smile:

Thank you all and God bless!

Catholic Statues, need some.

The easiest thing to do is call a local Catholic Bookstore.
They will have a few small ones in the store (and a good-size one or 2), but that isn’t what you are looking for.
The Bookstore will ALSO have catalogs from different companies that sell statues.

This method is easier than just using Google on the Internet.
Because at the store, you will be able to speak with a person who KNOWS about statues.
This person knows most of the problems people can make in ordering a statue, for instance.
One BIG problem with self-ordering on the Net is : How BIG to too Big?
Hmm, 24 inches . . . 36 inches … 48 inches … 60 inches

My mom bought her statue of the Virgin Mary from a shop that imported them from Spain. I must be lucky because our local Catholic bookstore has tiny statues to full real sized ones, and they are right by the door, not hidden in the back. Makes me smile just walking in.

Any Catholic book store. Here is also a good website.

www.leafletonline.com

My statues I got from stores here in town. One store is no longer open, although there are now others. But my two favorites are Our Lady of Grace and a numbered piece called “Mary, mother of all children.”

I have found nice statues on Ebay. I am partial to vintage chalkware statues. Vintage statues have a certain charm about them that you can’t get in modern statues.

I see your info says you live in Texas. I don’t know what part of the state you are in, but Catholic culture is alive and well in central and southeast Texas, so there are plenty of places to go.

If you ever find yourself in Houston, try Veritas Catholic books and gifts. They are (relatively) large and well-known and definitely have statues. I know people from out of state who make a point of stopping there when in the area. There is also a nice little shop attached to the Shrine of the Little flower in San Antonio. Those are just a couple of places I have encountered while exploring those regions. There are others as well. Some will ba happy to order something for you if they don’t carry it.

In general, look for Catholic bookstores as well as gift shops attached to shrines, basilicas, cathedrals, and old missions. My husband and I look for places like this in the towns and cities that we travel to, as we find devotional items make more meaningful souvenirs than many other things.

Occasionally, you may run across an antique shop that carries religious antiques. These places are really exciting (if somewhat expensive) to look around in.

Happy shopping!

My mum bought me St. Michael the Archangel, I had it for many years but the sword and one wing is now broken.

My favorite statue I purchased from Hobby Lobby.
We damaged it and hope to get it repaired. You might also try EWTN religious catalogue

I want a statue of Our Lady of Fatima. Ideally, I’d love a copy of the pilgrim statue but I have been unable to find one available for sale in the UK. However, I found a nice statue for sale in my cathedral shop. I almost bought it but I decided not to because it is 20 inches tall. Do you think a 20 inch tall statue is too large for a house?

I have a lovely 2 ft. statue of the Infant of Prague, with an ornate cape and glass eyes. Bought it for $36 at a flea market. In talking to the young couple running that particular “stand” they said it had been given to their mother by the parish priest when her church was closed in the Detroit area years ago. Obviously Mom was gone now, and the kids didn’t want it. It’s beautiful. Sits on the bedroom dresser.

I have a lovely chalkware statue of Our Lady of Grace that DH got me on ebay. It’s about 12 inches tall.

Dempsey, I just noticed your question about the height…no, I don’t think 20 inches is too tall for a house statue. It’s your house…you can put a life-size one in there if you like it!!!

Dempsey, I just noticed your question about the height…no, I don’t think 20 inches is too tall for a house statue. It’s your house…you can put a life-size one in there if you like it!!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question :slight_smile:

I think I’ll get the statue tomorrow. I want my guests to know they are entering a Catholic home and a statue of Our Blessed Mother is just what the doctor ordered.

I personally tend to stick more to the under one foot tall statues that are between 8-10 inches because thats more my size and style because I don’t want anything too huge or anything for me personally.

If there is a St.Vincent DePaul thrift store near, you should check there. Lots of times when someone elderly passes, their families don’t want to sell stuff but give it to St. VDP to sell. Great place to check for rosaries and books and statues etc.
Also have seen many at Good Will as well. Thrift stores can be a great place to pick up items cheaply too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.