Catholic Stereotypes

What Catholic stereotypes do Catholics find the most annoying, insulting?

"Catholics worship Mary."

"Catholics don't read / aren't allowed to read the Bible."

Catholics have a guilt complex
Catholics hate sex
Catholics are cannibals

Ugh... this thread makes my skin shudder already

My mom tells me she hates Catholics because of this:

Catholics are greedy / Catholics are too rich

Hey, I’m Catholic and I have problems with the Church’s teaching on sexuality. So I don’t think that the comment “Catholics hate sex” is a stereotype. I think it is a valid critism of Church teaching. However, I would go further and say pretty much all Christians hate sex, in that all Christian traditions teach that it is evil and that the enjoyment of sex is a sin.

Yes, I am a convert. I came into the Church at Easter 2008. I was a pagan until I met the man I was to marry (we married in the Church in Sept 2008). I honor all the Church’s teachings, even the ones I question, but the issue with sexuality is a source of conflict and absence of joy in an otherwise wonderful marriage.

As far as real stereotypes about Catholics that bother me, I would have to say the common misconception that Catholics worship Mary tops the list. Also high on the list is that all priests are as bad as the ones that make the news for breaking their vows. I always tell people who tell me that it isn’t true; it’s just that the people who report the news don’t find the good priests interesting because they aren’t involved in any scandals.

Just my opinions…

[quote="usagi1962, post:6, topic:181096"]
Hey, I'm Catholic and I have problems with the Church's teaching on sexuality. So I don't think that the comment "Catholics hate sex" is a stereotype. I think it is a valid critism of Church teaching. However, I would go further and say pretty much all Christians hate sex, in that all Christian traditions teach that it is evil and that the enjoyment of sex is a sin.

Yes, I am a convert. I came into the Church at Easter 2008. I was a pagan until I met the man I was to marry (we married in the Church in Sept 2008). I honor all the Church's teachings, even the ones I question, but the issue with sexuality is a source of conflict and absence of joy in an otherwise wonderful marriage.

[/quote]

Whoever instructed you on the vitally important subject of Christian doctrines about sex did a woeful job of it, particulaly as it was such a personally important subject to you as you were about to get married. I am not aware of any branch of Christianity ever having taught that sex is evil and that the enjoyment of sex is a sin. This is certainly the exact opposite of Catholic doctrine on the subject. The Catholic Church teaches that sex is very good indeed, and that it is a sin to deliberately deprive sexual activity of its enjoyment for either the husband or the wife or both.

Hey, I'm Catholic and I have problems with the Church's teaching on sexuality. So I don't think that the comment "Catholics hate sex" is a stereotype. I think it is a valid critism of Church teaching. However, I would go further and say pretty much all Christians hate sex, in that all Christian traditions teach that it is evil and that the enjoyment of sex is a sin.

Yes, I am a convert. I came into the Church at Easter 2008. I was a pagan until I met the man I was to marry (we married in the Church in Sept 2008). I honor all the Church's teachings, even the ones I question, but the issue with sexuality is a source of conflict and absence of joy in an otherwise wonderful marriage.

As far as real stereotypes about Catholics that bother me, I would have to say the common misconception that Catholics worship Mary tops the list. Also high on the list is that all priests are as bad as the ones that make the news for breaking their vows. I always tell people who tell me that it isn't true; it's just that the people who report the news don't find the good priests interesting because they aren't involved in any scandals.

Just my opinions...

[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned the statement "Catholics hate sex" most certainly is a stereotype and is false. The Church has never taught that sex between a consenting man and woman within the context of a sacramental marriage is a sin or that the enjoyment of the love shared within that relationship is sinful. I would also add that your belief that Christians hate sex is silly and false as well. The Church, however, does insist that sex should never be used to objectify the human person or that sex, in and of itself, is the ultimate measure of love within a human relationship. Christianity does not teach that sex is evil, but that the misuse of sex can limit a dignified view of the human person. This is what the Church thinks is evil

[/quote]

You really think so?

If Catholics hated sex so much then why do they have so many kids?

...yes, I just defended Catholics' view of sex with another stereotype.

"The Church (Pius VI) is anti-semitic"
"The Church is obsessed with sex"
"The Church is yet to evolve because she hasnt accepted that homosexual relationships are ok"

[/quote]

Well, I disagree with your text above. The Christains &Catholics do not hate sex. Sex is good, God created sex. The only thing is that the Church like a good mother tries to protect her children and therefore points out to us the boundaries within which sex is good and fun and all because it sure has boundaries and that boundary is within marriage. By marriage i mean between one man - one woman - "till death do us part". Of course without forgetting that the primary aim of sex is procreation. The Church does not teach that couples should not enjoy sex, because it is God Who has associated that pleasure with the sexual union, but that they should not put a barrier to the primary aim of the act- procreation. This is my understanding of the Church's teaching on the conjugal act. I think if you revisit it with the help of the Holy Spirit, you will see that the comment "Catholics hate sex" is only a stereotype:cool:

Hiyas:)

Catholics are gullible

[quote="PaulineOsinachi, post:10, topic:181096"]
"The Church (Pius VI) is anti-semitic"
"The Church is obsessed with sex"
"The Church is yet to evolve because she hasnt accepted that homosexual relationships are ok"

Well, I disagree with your text above. The Christains &Catholics do not hate sex. Sex is good, God created sex. The only thing is that the Church like a good mother tries to protect her children and therefore points out to us the boundaries within which sex is good and fun and all because it sure has boundaries and that boundary is within marriage. By marriage i mean between one man - one woman - "till death do us part". Of course without forgetting that the primary aim of sex is procreation. The Church does not teach that couples should not enjoy sex, because it is God Who has associated that pleasure with the sexual union, but that they should not put a barrier to the primary aim of the act- procreation. This is my understanding of the Church's teaching on the conjugal act. I think if you revisit it with the help of the Holy Spirit, you will see that the comment "Catholics hate sex" is only a stereotype:cool:

[/quote]

:)

ps..I love your signature

[quote="kimmielittle, post:12, topic:181096"]
:)

ps..I love your signature

[/quote]

Thanks :) I put it in inverted commas because i either read it or heard it somewhere though i cant remember where exactly but i really loved it

\However, I would go further and say pretty much all Christians hate sex, in that all Christian traditions teach that it is evil and that the enjoyment of sex is a sin.\

**Can you give specifics about any of this?

Who, in particular, teaches that the enjoyment of sex is per se sinful?**

That we worship Mary
That we can't think for ourselves and need a Pope to tell us what to believe
That we are only Catholic because our families are
That we are oppressed and hate science

[quote="Jerok, post:5, topic:181096"]
Ugh... this thread makes my skin shudder already

My mom tells me she hates Catholics because of this:

Catholics are greedy / Catholics are too rich

[/quote]

Jerok, does your mom know that there 1.2 billion Catholics in the world, many of them are very poor, especially those who live in Africa, India and the Philippines. Also, the Catholic Church is the biggest charitable organization in the world.
Here in the United States, many Catholic are well off, this is true. BUT as many know the history of the United States was not easy for Catholics. There were laws against them owning land and holding certain jobs. Catholics held only the most dangerous and difficult jobs, with little room for mobility. Being of Italian heritage, I know the discrimination and stereotypes Italians faced in this country. Yet when I look around me, the wealthiest families and business owners I encountered growing up were Catholic Italian families. This is a testimony to the hard work of these immigrants.

Hey, I'm Catholic and I have problems with the Church's teaching on sexuality. So I don't think that the comment "Catholics hate sex" is a stereotype. I think it is a valid critism of Church teaching.

[/quote]

I'm a convert too and didn't understand the Church's teachings on sex at first (I bought into the stereotypes, just like you!) I strongly suggest you read Holy Sex! It's a highly recommended book and though I'm only halfway through, I've learned a lot about how the Church wants us to use sex in our marriages. It's my understanding that the only hard-and-fast rule about sex is that the man must finish inside the woman's vagina. Beyond that, sex is left up to the couple's prudence.

Stereotype that bothers me: Catholics haven't read the Bible. (Maybe you Cradle Catholics haven't, but some of us are converted Protestants, and read the Bible before we converted! :p)

Catholic spirituality is dark and gothic and stuck in the middle ages.

Well for a start the "middle ages" were not as dark as they are often painted - but skipping the history lesson (:p) I think sometimes in the modern era the depth and sacrifice referenced frequently in Catholic spirituality is challenging. It seems we all want the Resurrection without acknowledging the cross.

I skipped a page, but how about this, when i told my mother I was considering being a priest, she said this:

"But isnt that where men go to [expletive deleted, use your imagination ehre] little boys?"

I have since stopped discussing this with her... And sadly stopped my discernment process... That may change shortly though...

FSC

Here's one.
Catholic priests invented Confession so they could learn their followers's sins to blackmail them with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.