Catholic Study Bible Recommendation

Hi,

Currently enjoying Confirmation lessons.

I’ve decided I’d like to present myself with as much clarity as possible in regards to the teachings of Christ, and the historical settings of his era, by purchasing a study Bible.

Today we discussed interpretation, and the Father used Mark’s description of Jesus’s excursion to Gerasene. I have always simply viewed the Gerasene miracle as nothing more than another example of Christ’s ability to perform inexplainable deeds. However, I find out today that the context, as well as the Greek definition for the word ‘Rebuke’, provides me with an even greater insight into why the Sea was forced to behave the way it did, and why Christ ‘rebuked’ the Sea. Moving on to the next paragraph and the story of demonic habitation, the context behind this particular story becomes even clearer. I believe I can only obtain this kind of knowledge and understanding by utilising a study Bible.

Therefore I ask: Which study Bible would you folks recommend? A quick Google, or Amazon search throws up too many confusing results. I’m temped by the Ignatius Study Bible.

Any other recommendations? I’m looking for the kind of study Bible that will help unravel our Lord’s every word and deed.
Thanks

Welcome to CAF! :wave:

With what you are looking for, I think the best answer is “more than one”. :wink:

In all seriousness, if you want to delve deeply into the background of each biblical passage, it will be helpful to have multiple sources.

The Ignatius Study Bible is a good one. I think it does a great job of hitting the highlights through the introductions and notes. It’s limitation is that it does not go into great depth on every single verse. Also, it is not yet complete (The New Testament is done as is about 25% of the Old Testament—the rest is in process).

The Navarre Bible Commentary is another good set that incorporates a lot of the writings of the saints and Church documents. That set is a bit more extensive (i.e. longer) than the Ignatius Study Bible and it is also complete.

The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture series is shaping up to be good, too. It is also more extensive, but still incomplete (and so far as I can tell, they are focused on getting the New Testament complete with no mention yet of the Old Testament).

The Didache Bible is a newer one that is very nice, but also on the shorter side when it comes to notes. It is keyed to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which makes it an excellent guide for seeing how the Scriptures support and relate to Catholic teaching.

You can also find some older, public domain commentaries online for free. There is the old Haydock Bible commentary, which is a classic, but wouldn’t include any more recent advances in historical-criticism (which can be a good thing, sometimes ;))

There are also Early Church Fathers that delve into Scripture quite a bit. For example, St. John Chrysostom preached or commented on most of the New Testament (half of the Gospels, Acts, and the letters of Paul). His works make a great commentary. St. Thomas Aquinas compiled his famous “Catena Aurea”, which is a verse by verse commentary of the four Gospels made entirely of quotes from the Early Church Fathers. That is also available online in many places.

Hope this helps!

Great commentaries:

Navarre Bible scepterpublishers.org/cat…category_id=24

The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture (a number have been completed)

And Ignatius

All three compliment each other – all are quite different from the others a–hence they dovetail nicely.

This thread might be of some interest to you:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=995104

Ignatius Study Bible is an excellent choice. God Bless, Memaw

Any true study of Scripture must include references to the Catechism. As mentioned the Ignatius Study Bible indeed has those references.

I will also direct you an excellent free online Catholic Bible study that also includes references to the Catechism (and other documents).

agapebiblestudy.com/index.html

Here is the section in Mark that you mention…

agapebiblestudy.com/Mark_Gospel/Mark_Lesson_4.htm

I like the footnotes and cross references in the New Jerusalem Bible. Also like the single column format.

There are some used ones on amazon at a decent price. The footnotes are only in the hardback version. The paperback readers edition does not have them.

amazon.com/New-Jerusalem-Bible-Henry-Wansbrough/dp/0385142641/ref=sr_1_1_twi_har_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455811306&sr=1-1&keywords=new+jerusalem+bible

Please consider a supplemental text such as the following. It will help you understand the cultural, political and social context of Jesus’ words and actions.

Manners & Customs in the Bible by Victor H Matthews.

https://books.google.com/books/content?id=KwwqGQAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE70Cm9rN60u3JsI8HQXI2cB2t2ABMNnwKAiA–W_rUjC5HIEx79FATW5tIo_XmMWa_5Pa47cItTyN8FZqYuWPz0qfcusnpwha76zLM6_KJZBEZItgLfP_c309xnZyvCDiAcEfRn3

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.