Catholic study bibles review

Am wanting to buy a 1 volume with the Old and the New Testaments study Bible. Do not care for St. Anselm.
Have seen the Didache and the Ignatius New T. books. Was told Ignatius Old T might be released 2018.
I would prefer both old and new be in one book.
Do you know of any others? I have the Navarres but I don’t consider them to be Study types.

The Ignatius Study Bible won’t be in one book that I know of. I keep waiting for the OT to be released.

The Didache is a GREAT Bible. It has WONDERFUL notes and explanations referring to the Catechism. I use it for Bible Study and as my main Bible to go to. When I had Father bless it he said that it was a VERY good version to use.

My favorite study Bible is the Oxford Annotated Bible w Deuterocanonical Books. It is the NRSV.

I like that includes books the Eastern Orthodox consider scripture as well. It has very good introductions to the books of the bible and great footnotes.

I am curious to know why you don’t consider the Navarres to be study types. Are you more interested in historical-critical type notes? If so, the Ignatius Study Bible certainly would be ideal whenever it is issued finally as a single volume. But in the meantime, the Catholic Personal Study Bible is heavily focused on historical-critical type notes, which is the NABRE, and comes in one volume. Also the 1966 Jerusalem Bible is heavily annotated in the historical-critical vein in one volume.

The Oxford Annotated Bibles are quite interesting, but we need to keep in mind that a lot of the current version notes were written by Protestants. Doesn’t make it bad, still good to read, but keep in mind it is not all from Catholic perspective.

I’ve gone through quite a few study Bibles. I recently purchased the Ignatius Didache Bible and am extremely happy with it. I love the RSV CE2 translation, and the layout of this particular Bible. It’s a great size, not too big or small, and the layout is perfect. The notes are extensive yet not overkill. The fact they use the Catechism for the references and notes is just fantastic.

I’m also fairly happy with the quality of the book itself. The paper, binding and finish are very good, especially for a Catholic Bible. (No, it’s not Cambridge or Allan quailty of course, but better than most from Catholic publishers).

I’ve been using it for a short while now, but honestly, I think I have found my Holy Grail of Bibles. It has everything I have been looking for for quite some time.

Last year I bought the Little Rock Catholic Study Bible and have found it very, very helpful. It has plenty of notes, prayers, historical explanations, photos, maps, cultural explanations, etc. I use it along with my Ignatius NT study bible for bible study preparation.

Yes - the Little Rock is pretty good, but very heavy on historical-critical theory. Having 2 study bibles is a good idea, and I love the Ignatius!

Haydock’s Catholic Bible Commentary

jas - My current study Bible is the Harper Collins ‘New Revised Standard Version - fully revised and updated - including Apocryphal and Deuterocanonical books’ - it even contains easy read maps with Biblical name coverage.

I like thd Dadache study bible also. While i agree the Haydock is pretty good how can it be ones only source of study. There have been rheems of archological discoveries since it was written. Would that make it iincomplete?

My Catholic study Bible is the Haydock Bible. That is the one I recommend.

No. It is in a class by itself because it draws from the Fathers of the Church and other historically important Bible commentators like Calmet, Lapide and many others. If you have the Oakeley/Haydock Bible, then you have a Haydock version whose notes were updated with the latest findings (as of 1878) So although it won’t have much in the way of historical/critical type commentary (so much of which is speculation anyway) it is thoroughly Catholic, and does answer many questions that arise from Scripture in a Catholic way.

Isnt much of commentary speculation?

If you’re talking about historical/critical commentary, then yes. Some of it is factual, but unfortunately they (the annotaters) like to write as if everything is factual when in fact it is speculation driven by various schools of thought on the given matter.

The Haydock commentary is not like that. It is interpretive of the Scripture either in its literal, allegorical, moral or anagogical sense. Although in the revised Haydock which I mentioned, there is some historical/critical notes, and if they are speculative, they are admittedly so.

Consider an investment in a software package from Verbum.com…I have amassed a library of nearly 3000 books, hundreds of which are commentary by modern and ancient theologians and Fathers and Doctors of the Church, in electronic media, all with cross reference linking to the others, and the only hard copies I hold are a NABRE Bible, the CCC, and the Daily Missal.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.