Catholic teacher "doesn't know why" she got fired

You should check out the quote in your signature.

[Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

…The materialism of affluent Christian countries appears to contradict the claims of Jesus Christ that says it’s not possible to worship both Mammon and God at the same time.

–Mohatma Gandhi.

I can’t find it properly sourced online. It’s heavily quoted and taken as fact that he said it but to whom. Who was he addressing when he said “YOUR”.

I wouldn’t ever doubt that a statement was Gandhi’s because it was provocative, but this sounds a bit tin-eared even for him. It has a “you people” quality. Furthermore, its anti-materialistic challenge to Christians to give more sounds perfectly suited for a “we need a new roof” sermon. I guess I’m not ready to scream FALSE!, but I wonder if anyone knows when he actually said it and in what context.

NB: It’s really easy to find the quote improperly sourced online. ](“http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=61900”)

AND

I have found no authoritative source for Ghandi saying this. The actual quote is attributed to Bara Dada, “Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians – you are not like him.” Source - Jones, E. Stanley. The Christ of the Indian Road, New York: The Abingdon Press,1925. (Page 114)

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:17, topic:200294"]
This is a problem I have with these faith-based schools, religion having to be a requirement to teach at a particular school. I say let's not worry about religion, and have the teacher teach whatever it is he/she is supposed to

[/quote]

So your problem with faith based schools is that the teachers are required to be of that faith?

There are plenty of schools that the teachers just teach whatever they want... they're public schools... faith based schools are private meaning you have to pay for them (or at least any I've ever heard of) and why would you pay to send your child to a Catholic school and NOT expect the teachers who will be helping in molding your child not be Catholic?

Look at it like personal training... if your kid was overweight and you were concerned for his/her health and you decided to hire a personal trainer... would you hire one that was overweight? Slighly off topic but this is one of the things I noticed at the gym I used to go to... the personal trainers looked like they had no business being personal trainers.

Private schools can hire people based on having certain beliefs and value systems. I am surprised that they didn’t know that when they interviewed her for the job.

Public schools don’t worry about those things for the most part.

As the parent of children who attend Catholic school, I do expect that the teachers are either Catholic, or will not say or do anything that contradicts church teaching. If a teacher feels that this is too stifling, they certainly have the right to work for public schools, or private, for-profit schools.

In general, people who teach in Catholic schools are Catholic, and do it for reasons aside from the money (they aren't paid as well as public school teachers). Why an atheist would want to teach in a Catholic school is beyond me-- it would seem to go against her ethos to have to pretend to have faith in something she doesn't believe in.

I also have to say that if a teacher attempted to hand out condoms at any of the schools in this diocese, they'd be fired. No ifs, ands or buts. We have a very conservative bishop, and the guidelines for the schools leaves no room for this type of behavior.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.