Catholic Teachers in Public Schools

I am a Catholic Husband, Father, Coach, and Teacher and I am wondering if anyone has any insights on living the Catholic faith in my job as a math teacher in a public high school. Any stories of witness that have worked? Any ways of letting students or coworkers know that all good things (including our abilities to think and reason) come from a loving God? How can we be Catholic Teachers even though we teach in public schools?

I teach elementary music in a very diverse school. I try to encourage students to feel comfortable with their beliefs and respectful to others. I always try to keep in mind that I am a witness by my behavior, even though I'm not able to instruct my students in my faith. I am often invited by my students to attend events at their churches such as Baptisms, first Holy Communion, plays, and concerts and I try to attend. A local Non-Denominational Church encourages it's children to invite their teachers to "Teacher Day" which is a punch and cake event that is designed to thank the teachers for their service to the children.

Mine are to liberal to even talk to. They confuse you so much morally. It's scary.

[quote="CoachMcQuade, post:1, topic:291983"]
I am a Catholic Husband, Father, Coach, and Teacher and I am wondering if anyone has any insights on living the Catholic faith in my job as a math teacher in a public high school. Any stories of witness that have worked? Any ways of letting students or coworkers know that all good things (including our abilities to think and reason) come from a loving God? How can we be Catholic Teachers even though we teach in public schools?

[/quote]

If you're working in the States, you're not allowed to proselytise in schools. Please keep that for Sunday school and your church.

If you argue that you should be allowed to do so, then you must argue that right for all other religions as well. That would be quite a few and it wouldn't really leave much time for yout to explain that the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two side. Maths can be difficult enough as it is. You really should concentrate on that.

Hi I am not a teacher but I do believe that being a catholic shouldn't be something we do in private . Maybe school isn't the place for sermons but like mother Teresa of Calcutta we are called to bring Jesus Christ to every person we come in contact with. It might be just a encouraging smile, it might be being patient With a difficult student . I knew a girl that became a true Christian because of the sincere love of God her neighbors had and modeled every day of their lives. And they never knew the affects they had on her. There are some motivating and inspiring audios by archbishop Fulton sheen that I believe would help. They have helped me .

I think you're right Delphina. Be the best you can as an example. If people know you're a Catholic and you're doing good, then they may put two and two together (back to the maths!).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.