Catholic teaching on animals?

I do not know any hungry, needy, or dying children. I am once again in a position that I can spend $25.00 on a memorial, or anything I choose, and still help a child.

Something ironic, just food for thought. The animal organizations I had donated to gave me food for my animals and even covered a Vet visit, while my fellow humans did not care that I was starving and turned a blind eye. Oh yeah, now that I am back on my feet these same humans are back hoping for a hand out. Lol

I am now much more careful what I do with my money and what cause I donate to.

My beloved Cameo is not just a dead animal and I will spend thousands every week if I choose in her memory.

:frowning: so sorry to hear that. I am in the same boat. I lost my 21 year old cat last September and still miss her a lot. And just to add to the conversation Pope Benedict himself is a cat lover.

There is a massive correlation between being kind to animals and being kind to humans. Most violent criminals before becoming violent with humans started with violence against animals. All psychopaths and serial killers started by killing animals. On the same token, most people who are highly compassionate to animals are exactly the same way towards hymans. Of course there are some people who have priorities skewed (if someone is a big animal activist and promotes abortion that is a problem) but for the most part there is a massive correlation between how you treat animals and humans. I think it was st Francis who said something along the lines if you don’t appreciate life in its smallest form you won’t be able to appreciate it in its biggest form.

I’m not saying we should be cruel to animals. That would be against Church teachings. My point is that anyone with spare money to donate/use should be giving it to help save the lives of people. People are more important than animals (that does not mean being cruel to animals!!).

I think of it as balancing the two. Helping humans and animals.

The ccc says its ok to test on animals for human gain…Not something I agree with.

I do not agree with testing on animals. Poor little creatures.

The Church disagrees with you when its for the health benefit of people.
Many people would be dead already had it not been for testing medicines on animals.
When the choice is people dying or testing drugs that can save them on animals are you saying you prefer people dying? I can’t believe that’s what you mean.

Please believe what you choose to believe. I am not the only Catholic who does not agree with subjecting animals to testing , of any kind. Animals do not sin, people do.

Same here, those little bunnies can’t even hold a #2 pencil, let alone fill in any of those little circles. :frowning:

Thanks, I needed that. :slight_smile:

Take care of your dog. He depends on you to do what’s best for him, especially if he needs medical care. My pets are part of my family and no theology comes into play when I consider their care.

Yes! I take care of my dogs, my cats and my fish. We had a wonderful, gift filled Christmas.

You din’t answer my question. Are you saying that all the people in the world who have been saved by drugs which went through a testing process on animals first should have been left to die rather than having done tests on animals?

I do not reply to personal questions. Are you aware that people attempt to push you in a corner, and then report you so you will receive points against you? I have stated my opinion quite clearly, as you have yours.

I am in heart failure, I would not allow an animal to be killed to save my life. I put my Trust in Jesus.

Sorry to hear you are ill. I will pray for you.

However, personally I will always put the life of a human before the life of an animal.

I have a pet dog that I love very much but if it jumped into a river and got into difficulty at the same time as I saw a child or adult in the river also in difficulty I would attempt to save the human at the expense of my dog. No matter how much we love our pets human life is more precious.

I will leave it at that now and drop out of the thread.

Really? So no need for shelter, vet visits when ill etc? I assume then, that we should not have hobbies, holiday trips etc and just spend on the bare necessities.

So right.

:thumbsup:

I believe its more about not spending on silly clothes etc for your pets and forgetting about the hungry, whether your children or others and doting on your pets while not showing love to your children.

I do not see how the Church can or even wants to monitor/control our love for animals.

There was St Francis of Asissi (patron saint for animals) and St. Martin de Torrres who cared for humans and animals.

Pope Benedict spoke about not treating animals as commodities when he was cardinal. I am praying Pope Francis does something for animals too. Animals are God’s creatures too.

I believe its more about not spending on silly clothes etc for your pets and forgetting about the hungry, whether your children or others and doting on your pets while not showing love to your children.

I do not see how the Church can or even wants to monitor/control our love for animals.

There was St Francis of Asissi (patron saint for animals) and St. Martin de Porres who cared for humans and animals.

Pope Benedict spoke about not treating animals as commodities when he was cardinal. I am praying Pope Francis does something for animals too. Animals are God’s creatures too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.