Catholic teaching on forgiveness

What is Cathilic teaching on forgiveness: is it contingent on asking?

I’m not 100% sure what you mean by this question. Could you possibly clarify?

Are you asking with regard to forgiveness with God or forgiveness between humans. Also are you asking if a person can be forgiven without asking to be forgiven or are you asking if a person must forgive someone that hasn’t yet asked to be forgiven…

Anyway I guess the question is to broad. Could you clarify?

I am asking about God’s forgiving us of sin. Is it contingent on our asking or is it given without our asking?

[quote=Anita Sapone]I am asking about God’s forgiving us of sin. Is it contingent on our asking or is it given without our asking?
[/quote]

We must ask.

We must be sorry for our sin and go to confession to a priest, and then do penance.

To expect you will be forgiven without asking sounds like presumption, which is itself a sin.

hurst

[quote=Anita Sapone]What is Cathilic teaching on forgiveness: is it contingent on asking?
[/quote]

Yes, a person who is harmed can make forgiveness available to the person who harmed them. But that forgiveness is not effective unless the person who harmed the other asks for forgiveness. Therefore forgiveness that is offered can be rejected.

Acts 2:38 says:

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins

So, ordinarily, one first obtains forgiveness of sins in the Sacrament of Baptism which, if he has reached the age of reason, he himself must ask for.

1 John 1:9 says:

9If we [Christians] confess our sins, he [God] is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Accordingly, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, says forgiveness of serious sins committed after Baptism is ordinarily obtained through the Sacrament of Penance (a.k.a. Confession):

1484. “Individual, intergral confession [to a priest] and absolution remain the only ordinary way for the faithful to reconcile themselves with God and the Church, unless physical or moral impossibility excuses from this kind of confession.”

From the Baltimore Catechism 2, answer #191:To receive the Sacrament of Penance [a.k.a. Confession] worthily we must do five things:

[list=1]
*]We must examine our conscience.
*]We must have sorrow for our sins.
*]We must make a firm resolution never more to offend God.
*]We must confess our sins to the priest.
*]We must accept the penance which the priest gives us.
[/list]
Also, Jesus made the forgiveness of our sins contingent on our willingness to forgive others. (Matthew 6:14-15)

It is just a little troubling to me to see that statement added as a small footnote. Though I am glad to see that it is added.

Jesus makes clear in many different parables and with many direct statements. Forgiveness is available to those who practice forgiveness.

Even the Lord’s Prayer says this.

Practice forgiveness of others and you will receive God’s forgiveness. We could add all the Churches teachings about this topic as footnotes but the message Jesus gave us is where we should start.

peace

-Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.