Catholic Teaching on Priests and Vices

This is not about sexual relations. The Church is quite clear about priestly celibacy and doesn’t make exceptions.

Does the Church teach anything regarding other “vices” for the ordained? I’m referring to things like smoking, drinking (in excess), gambling, etc.

Smoking and gambling are not sinful if done in moderation.

All priests have to be as pure as Caesar’s wife. They can have no vices, otherwise some sniveling hypocrite with a massive stone enters from stage right. Gambling with your own money is not a sin, otherwise all of us who own stock would be public sinners. Drinking within sobriety is not a sin. Smoking is stupid but is not necessarily a sin. :smiley:

Does the Church teach anything regarding other “vices” for the ordained? I’m referring to things like smoking, drinking (in excess), gambling, etc.

Western Civilization is literally falling apart and someone is worried about a priest smoking, drinking, and gambling!

We need to all be on our knees praying for personal spiritual deepening.

The church actually does make exceptions to celibacy with the Anglican Ordinariate. But we get your point.

Gambling, I believe, is a sin. It is looking to gain from someone else’s loss. Many people may disagree with me.

Investment is done for providing capital to businesses by purchasing a portion of it(stock) with the thought it will build and increase in value by providing a product or service to others. Jesus speaks parables about people investing.

Yes, Smoking is stupid.

The church teaches Priests should live moral lives as an example to others as well as being more fully able to serve God by being free from controversy.

Here is a quote from Titus regarding qualifications of Priests and Bishops:

5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you— 6 if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination. 7 For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, 8 but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled, 9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

Except for the husband / children bits, all would apply.

Yes, we do all need to pray for this broken world.

I’m not really understanding your question. The opposite of celibacy is marriage, and marriage is not a vice. So, I don’t understand why you refer to “other” vices. Marriage is not a vice. The discipline of celibacy has nothing to do with vice.

The same thing it teaches for everyone else.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.