Catholic Teachings on the Rapture and the Tribulation

So, a question I’ve never really been able to get answered directly what the Catholic teaching on this actually is. Now, when I say the Rapture, I’m speaking of what is represented in modern protestant teachings, and literature, such as the Left Behind series. And now that I’m looking into becoming Catholic, this of course is important to find out.

From my understanding this teaching didn’t come about until much much later in history (around the 1800’s or so). It seemed silly to me when I was growing up, and it does to me now. I don’t for a second doubt the second coming, but the things like one world currency, one world country, believers being taken everyone else staying behind to fend for themselves, I have a very, very hard time believing those things.

Can someone help clear my views?

Strangely I never heard of the rapture until I joined this site and people were constantly talking about it.

It seems protestant to me but there seems to be a lot of catholics on here that believe it, I don’t know if it is something that gets taught in america.

The second coming will happen but the rapture won’t.

You are correct that many of the modern theories about the Rapture and the Tribulation are nonsense.

Haydock Catholic Bible Commentary:
haydock1859.tripod.com/

Biblia Clerus on the Vatican website
clerus.org/bibliaclerus/index_eng.html

Searchable Catholic Catechism:
scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Catholic Encyclopedia:
newadvent.org/cathen/

Left Behind:
catholic.com/documents/false-profit-money-prejudice-and-bad-theology-in-tim-lahaye%E2%80%99s-left-behind-series

catholicleague.org/tim-lahaye-the-left-behind-series/

He’s not Catholic but NT Wright wrote a very good book on why the Rapture is nonsense.

I remember being a kid growing up in a Church of God and then trying to scare us into being good by threatening us with the Rapture. It had to opposite effect because most of us started thinking, “Well darned if we do and darned if we don’t - so we’re gonna.”

The rapture is an idea that is not even commonly held by all the protestant currents out there, some embrace it and others reject it.
It is a grossly misinterpretation of scripture especially the Book of Revelation. Where a few passages are ripped out of context to sustent this theory. It also spurs the constant searching of trying to pinpoint the end of the world.

I myself accept Jesus’s words and do not worry myself with trying to find out when the end of the world will happen and strive instead to end the sinful ways I live every day, so that if the thief comes in the middle of the night he does not find me umprepared.

Read David Currie’s wonderful book, Rapture.

It’s a very long and thorough explanation, mainly from the Bible, of the Catholic teachings about the end times, rapture, tribulation, anti-Christ, etc.

Here’s a link:

amazon.com/Rapture-End-Times-Error-Leaves-Behind/dp/1928832725

Here’s a talk on this subject by our very own Tim Staples. It’s about 2 hours long, and it talks about the various Protestant beliefs of the end times and then refutes them using Scripture:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LgEJS0cf9B4

This is not Catholic tradition or custom.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.