Catholic Teen In Protestant Home?

Well hello Im new to this forum so bear with me haha. Im 15 and I have lived protestant since I was 10 with my parents who are still protestant. I always felt a big pull towards catholicism since it feels so right in its doctrines and its actions towards God and the saints and Mary. So yes I am Catholic now but should I tell my parents or can I just keep it between me and God. Any help appreciated :) :thumbsup:

I also have all due respect to protestants they are a wonderful bunch.

[quote="CatholicChris, post:1, topic:243212"]
Well hello Im new to this forum so bear with me haha. Im 15 and I have lived protestant since I was 10 with my parents who are still protestant. I always felt a big pull towards catholicism since it feels so right in its doctrines and its actions towards God and the saints and Mary. So yes I am Catholic now but should I tell my parents or can I just keep it between me and God. Any help appreciated :) :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I just have one question of clarification - did you receive the Catholic sacraments, or just begin to attend Catholic mass? This isn't relevent either way, but I wanted to make sure you entered into the fullness of the Church. Congratulations on your journey leading you here!

As for your parents, how do you think they will react? Will they try and prevent you from attending mass? Force you to go to Protestant services? Also, what do you do for attending mass on Sundays? Do you lie about where you are going, or do you simply leave and return without having to mention?

I guess the major points are you shouldn't lie to your parents/family, but you should also continue to receive the sacraments. How to satisfy both can be difficult, and my prayers are with you. For now, without any further information, I cannot be of much help.

Chris, a young woman in your situation, Jewish, asked a st. Joesemaria Escriva the exact same question you have asked.

You can listen to his reply to her at youtube.com/user/josemariaescriva#p/u/5/34vJiib7kzs

Basically, you must honor your mother and father in all things, obeying the 4th commandment even if they do not permit you to go to Mass or join the Church. You must never argue with them. You must be a good son and you must pray for them. You already have the baptism of desire and so you should spend your time unitl you are of age where your parents permit you to make these decisions on your own learning about Jesus and about the teachings of our Holy Church.

"You will be a good son of Christ if you are a good son to your parents"

Your docility and the peace you sow in your own home will lead your parents to allow you to follow the path already mapped out in your heart.

-Tim-

That's what I'm wondering too. Have you been officially confirmed into the Catholic Church through RCIA or some other means as an adult? It's different than switching protestant denominations there's more to it than just showing up at Church.

Assuming that you have than yes I would tell them. I know when I came back to the church I wanted to tell everyone but there wasn't really anyone I could talk to about it...

[/quote]

Don't seek out martyrdom, but don't deny the faith either. That said, how would your parents respond if you told them? Welcome home!

[/quote]

Chris, you can't just become a Catholic by declaring yourself to be one. You have to go through an orderly procession of the sacraments, in your case, you'd have to go through a class, probably RCIA, and you'd either be baptized (if you never have been) and have your first Eucharist, or you'd get the first Eucharist. But the class comes first, and it's very likely that you need your parents consent to take the class.

The Church wants you to understand what you are doing because once you really are a Catholic, you will have to support the tenets of the Church with all your heart. So the classes are a great way to learn about the Church.

Wishing you all the best as your learn how to become the Catholic you've always dreamed of being!

[quote="TimothyH, post:3, topic:243212"]
Chris, a young woman in your situation, Jewish, asked a st. Joesemaria Escriva the exact same question you have asked.

You can listen to his reply to her at youtube.com/user/josemariaescriva#p/u/5/34vJiib7kzs

Basically, you must honor your mother and father in all things, obeying the 4th commandment even if they do not permit you to go to Mass or join the Church. You must never argue with them. You must be a good son and you must pray for them. You already have the baptism of desire and so you should spend your time unitl you are of age where your parents permit you to make these decisions on your own learning about Jesus and about the teachings of our Holy Church.

Your docility and the peace you sow in your own home will lead your parents to allow you to follow the path already mapped out in your heart.

-Tim-

[/quote]

The highest honor she can show her parents is converting to the true faith and later converting her parents :thumbsup:

[quote="Califman831, post:7, topic:243212"]
The highest honor she can show her parents is converting to the true faith and later converting her parents :thumbsup:

[/quote]

In my mind, to honor her mother and father would be to not fight, to not utter one word of rebellion against either. To love them and obey them just as the 4th commandment says.

Time will march forward and with all of our iPads and iPods we are an impatient people. I just don't see the value in causing fights, dissention and arguments. I'm not saying that will happen, I just see no value in it. This is not a deathbed conversion here and Chris is almost of age.

Won't that be a wonderful day when the more mature 19 or 20 year old enters RICA. Won't it be a great day when Chris the adult, having studied our faith and willingly entered the Church, after having obeyed and loved her parents, witnesses to her faith at the Easter vigil in front of the whole parish with her parents looking on in amazement at what they are seeing?!

If God wills her parents to be Catholic then it will happen. I think it will happen out of love rather than strife, that's all I'm saying.

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:8, topic:243212"]
In my mind, to honor her mother and father would be to not fight, to not utter one word of rebellion against either. To love them and obey them just as the 4th commandment says.

[/quote]

The Fourth commandment is tied to the first commandment which places God, our eternal father, above all creation. In scripture and in our history there allowances for division between parent and child. Remember St Claire chose to follow God rather than obeying her earthly father. The same thing happened with St Francis who gave up his birthright before the town of Assisi.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set a man 'against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one's enemies will be those of his household.'  Mathew 10:34

"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. Mathew 10:37

Time will march forward and with all of our iPads and iPods we are an impatient people. I just don't see the value in causing fights, dissention and arguments. I'm not saying that will happen, I just see no value in it. This is not a deathbed conversion here and Chris is almost of age.

Won't that be a wonderful day when the more mature 19 or 20 year old enters RICA. Won't it be a great day when Chris the adult, having studied our faith and willingly entered the Church, after having obeyed and loved her parents, witnesses to her faith at the Easter vigil in front of the whole parish with her parents looking on in amazement at what they are seeing?!

You are making an assumption that she will have time to do all that, but no one knows the hour of the coming of Christ nor that our mortal death. This is why the church baptizes infants instead of requiring them to reach adulthood. If chris has come to wisdom that the Catholic church is the one established by Christ, then regardless of age reach out for her and bring her to the fold.

If God wills her parents to be Catholic then it will happen. I think it will happen out of love rather than strife, that's all I'm saying.

-Tim-

yes, out of love we come to the catholic church. We are called to evangelize all nations.

-Tim-

[/quote]

Chris I hope you read Timothy's response and follow what I think to be his wise advice.

When I was 14, I asked my parents if I could joint the Catholic Church. I had been in parochial school for two years (my joke is my parents sent me for the education, I stayed for the faith). My parents agreed, as long as I made all the arrangements. The priest at my local parish was okay with this, as long as my parents approved. I made the arrangements, my parents and my grandparents and my Godmother came to my baptism and 1st Eucharist, and life went on with my parents as nominally protestant (neither parent practices anything, and were never church goers when I was growing up).

I was concerned that it would hurt my grandparents, since they were Southern Baptist, and they had heard all the old cliches and misinformation about Catholicism. They were just happy that I was going to church, and was finally getting baptized.

Ask your parents for their permission. Understand that you will probably need to make your own arrangements to get to and from mass, and holy days of obligation.

If they're unwilling, then learn as much as you can, pray, and join when you're of age if this is where your heart and faith bring you.

Good luck!

[quote="Califman831, post:9, topic:243212"]
The Fourth commandment is tied to the first commandment which places God, our eternal father, above all creation. In scripture and in our history there allowances for division between parent and child. Remember St Claire chose to follow God rather than obeying her earthly father. The same thing happened with St Francis who gave up his birthright before the town of Assisi.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set a man 'against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one's enemies will be those of his household.'  Mathew 10:34

"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. Mathew 10:37

You are making an assumption that she will have time to do all that, but no one knows the hour of the coming of Christ nor that our mortal death. This is why the church baptizes infants instead of requiring them to reach adulthood. If chris has come to wisdom that the Catholic church is the one established by Christ, then regardless of age reach out for her and bring her to the fold.

yes, out of love we come to the catholic church. We are called to evangelize all nations.

[/quote]

You didn't watch the video, did ya?

youtube.com/user/josemariaescriva#p/u/5/34vJiib7kzs

Anyway, we don't know. Her parents might be totally cool with it like familyof4 says.

-Tim-

[quote="Mumbles140, post:2, topic:243212"]
I just have one question of clarification - did you receive the Catholic sacraments, or just begin to attend Catholic mass? This isn't relevent either way, but I wanted to make sure you entered into the fullness of the Church. Congratulations on your journey leading you here!

As for your parents, how do you think they will react? Will they try and prevent you from attending mass? Force you to go to Protestant services? Also, what do you do for attending mass on Sundays? Do you lie about where you are going, or do you simply leave and return without having to mention?

I guess the major points are you shouldn't lie to your parents/family, but you should also continue to receive the sacraments. How to satisfy both can be difficult, and my prayers are with you. For now, without any further information, I cannot be of much help.

[/quote]

No I havent received the RCIA or any bringing into the catholic church but for a while ive followed the path of a catholic. My parents being like pentacostals think catholocism is idolatry of mary and we worship mary and they hate it... :(

[quote="Link0126, post:4, topic:243212"]
That's what I'm wondering too. Have you been officially confirmed into the Catholic Church through RCIA or some other means as an adult? It's different than switching protestant denominations there's more to it than just showing up at Church.

Assuming that you have than yes I would tell them. I know when I came back to the church I wanted to tell everyone but there wasn't really anyone I could talk to about it...

[/quote]

No I havent received RCIA sadly but I understand I should calm down a bit im so excited about catholocism and i am researching it so much.

[quote="CatholicChris, post:13, topic:243212"]
No I havent received the RCIA or any bringing into the catholic church but for a while ive followed the path of a catholic. My parents being like pentacostals think catholocism is idolatry of mary and we worship mary and they hate it... :(

[/quote]

that is unfortunate :(

I'm the only Catholic in my family also:)

would your parents be against you going through RCIA so you can receive the Sacraments?

welcome to the Church :) God bless!

-Tim-

[/quote]

Wow the video is impacting il take the advice and use this to extend my beleifs and I shall honor my father and mother

[quote="Monica4316, post:15, topic:243212"]
that is unfortunate :(

I'm the only Catholic in my family also:)

would your parents be against you going through RCIA so you can receive the Sacraments?

welcome to the Church :) God bless!

[/quote]

Yes they'd be against it, they dont want me doing anything other than things they want me to beleive... :shrug:

Thank you all for your posts, I am baptised into protestant beliefs in the name of the father the son and the holy spirit. Should I follow Catholicism but do RCIA when im 18?

Greetings friend,

My first advice would be to get in touch with a Priest at the parish where you are attending Mass. Are you able in some way to attend Mass? If so, continue doing so if your parents allow you (refraining from Holy Communion of course).

The priest may not be immediately available and you might need to set up an appointment to speak with him at the church office. A simple call to the church (rectory) should be able to take care of this. When you meet with him, sit down with him and tell him your situation in full, let him know all the details with your family and your background, he will help guide you through what you would need to do to eventually be recieved into the Church.

I would also encourage you to check out this website:
quovadisyouth.org

this group is affiliated with EWTN and the Coming Home organization. They are a group specifically designed for young people who are seeking to be recieved into the Church. They can provide you with some valuable and solidly Catholic counsel and support as well. God bless you and welcome home!

[quote="FromTheAshes777, post:19, topic:243212"]
Greetings friend,

My first advice would be to get in touch with a Priest at the parish where you are attending Mass. He may not be immediately available and you might need to set up an appointment to speak with him at the church office. A simple call to the church (rectory) should be able to take care of this. When you meet with him, sit down with him and tell him your situation in full, let him know all the details with your family and your background, he will help guide you through what you would need to do to eventually be recieved into the Church.

I would also encourage you to check out this website:
quovadisyouth.org

this group is affiliated with EWTN and the Coming Home organization. They are a group specifically designed for young people who are seeking to be recieved into the Church. They can provide you with some valuable and solidly Catholic counsel and support as well. God bless you and welcome home!

[/quote]

I understand mate but Im not going to a catholic church at the moment so should I go to the catholic church on my own which is down the road from me?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.