Catholic Traditions

I am a protestant and I am not here to argue just gain facts. I wanted to know if this article is correct in it dates only. I dont care about its anti catholic slant or what it says against the catholic traditions. I just wanted to know if the dates are correct. Thanks.

jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/catholic_heresies-a_list.htm

I don’t see any purpose to this whatsoever. If you wish to ask a question, then take one from that site and present the question. This site is obviously catholic bashing and that is against our forum rules…to bash any religion. Therefore the dates are just unimportant at this point.

Ah…Lorraine Boettner’s Famous List. :rolleyes:

Do you have wax candles in your Church? Maybe at weddings? Sheesh.

But since this is important to you, you can find a response to the List here:

klaravonassisi.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/the-boettner-list-fact-or-fiction/

or here:

daves-ahumbleservant.blogspot.com/2013/08/loraine-boettners-list-part-1.html

Boettner was also refuted by the founder of Catholic Answers, Karl Keating, here:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DdeglHmzL.SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200.jpg

amazon.com/Catholicism-Fundamentalism-Attack-Romanism-Christians/dp/0898701775

please read my op, just after facts and dates.

thanks 4 links.

Good to know.

To give an honest answer to a question asked.

I have researched a good many of the dates of the article you posted and so far they are not correct.

I will be happy to continue the research if you can tell me what your point is?

Other wise I am intent on labeling this just another goofy protestant anti- Catholic post.

hmm that site contradicts itself since Ive read almost all its articles and is actually misogynistic
try this site which helps with the scriptural backing of the catholic faith
www.askacatholic.com sorry Im not very computer savvy to send a link

many protestants have those misconceptions about us its understandable and doesnt upset me but Brother Stewarts hatred of women spewed in other places on his site does anyways have a look at this site and have a blessed night;)

No, the dates are not correct. The website says that the Mass began to be celebrated daily in the year 394. The Bible however, says that the Mass was celebrated daily right from Pentecost.

*And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. (Acts 2:42)

And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts, (Acts 2:46)

Peter celebrated Mass on a ship before they sank and celebrated Mass in the middle of the night when Eutichus fell out the window, both in Acts of the Apostles.

Many of the other dates are correct but the author has it all wrong, stating that something was invented at a certain date when it wasn’t invented but just codified or formalized.

Others are just silly, like wax candles in the Church in 320. The Jews had oil lamps in the Temple. So what? They had to have light to see and wax candles were available, and probably cheaper than olive oil lamps. Who cares? It really is just silly.

Some are correct, like the declaration of the dogma of Mary’s assumption. That did take place in 1950.

-Tim-

Posted by total relism: I am a protestant and I am not here to argue just gain facts. I wanted to know if this article is correct in it dates only. I dont care about its anti catholic slant or what it says against the catholic traditions. I just wanted to know if the dates are correct. Thanks.

fred conty;11405106]I don’t see any purpose to this whatsoever. If you wish to ask a question, then take one from that site and present the question. This site is obviously catholic bashing and that is against our forum rules…to bash any religion. Therefore the dates are just unimportant at this point.

I believe you speak for Catholics and other Forum posters alike fred conty.

If the OP,

…don’t care about its anti catholic slant or what it says against the catholic traditions.

of what possible use could the dates be to him/her?

Protector.

Oh that foolishness…no problem.
The “Boettner List”: Fact or Fiction?

TimothyH;11405369]No, the dates are not correct. The website says that the Mass began to be celebrated daily in the year 394. The Bible however, says that the Mass was celebrated daily right from Pentecost.

**Peter **celebrated Mass on a ship before they sank and celebrated Mass in the middle of the night when Eutichus fell out the window,
-Tim-

I don’t mean to be picky here TimothyH, but wasn’t it Paul who was present when Eutichus fell from the third story window?
Long-speaking preachers should take note of that verse.:slight_smile:

Protector.

TOTALRELISM I am praying for u and your confused disrespectfull views I WILL ESPECIALLY PRAY A HAIL MARY FOR YOU, you need it

PRAYING:gopray2:.

Attempting to initiate and then control or limit a conversation is not a good strategy, no matter how how you word it. Directing Catholics to such a site may indeed violate forum rules. If there are dates there, post them here. I will tell you that they are very likely false, as there seems to be very little concern for the truth there.

sorry if you got that impression, others have provided links for me thanks.

thanks 4 link.

so just to clarify,is the Passover mass? has it always been the mass?one and the same. Or was it changed at the final supper? or after in acts?.

thanks 4 reply.

interest and learning, I am hear to learn about catholic faith, i see these things as important as to when they started in catholic church.

thanks for link

(Removed quote & response to deleted post)

thanks for the advice and you right. It was really because i was lazy and did not want to copy it all, my bad. Just wondering,what are the forum rules on that? i thought you could even debate here?.

Good post.

But I thought that Mass was celebrated when Jesus accompanied the 2 disciples to the town of Emmaus. For they recognized Jesus when he broke bread.

May God our Father give you grace and peace.

regarding my op and dates.

I think the article was referring to when the catholic church officially added these traditions,not when some first happened. Is the article correct in when Rome officially accepted the traditions? if not could someone provide a catholic source on when they were added?.

thanks.

mass question

what qualifies a mass? is it any time believers gather and break bread remembering jesus Crucifixion?.

Is it the Passover super? has it changed from jesus time and if so why how?.

thanks.

I’ll try to help with these ones. A mass is a re-presentation of calvary, meaning “to make present again” and opposed to our generally modern view of the word represent. It is not a proxy, but rather a reality. Very basically, the first half is nearly completely scriptural readings, psalms and other praises and acknowledgement of our sins, asking for God’s mercy on us. The second half is the liturgy of the Eucharist (Lord’s supper).

I’m sure you are familiar with the passover story from Exodus. Every year, the Jews were to re-live this miraculous delivery from slavery into the promised land. This was not viewed as a nostalgic memory but rather a reality of God’s unending covenant with His people. After all, this passover was not a one time deal only for those particular people and then God’s covenant ends; but rather a covenant promise from the Father to His children. Later generations, would celebrate the passover in a more defined ritual; for instance, one aspect is to sing the Hallel psalms. Did they sing Hallel psalms at the first passover?? No, they hadn’t been written yet.

This foreshadow led to Jesus’ exodus for the yoke of slavery to the promised land in a perfected way. When we follow His command to “do this in memory of me”, we don’t nostalgically remember a past event either, but rather, God’s grace works through the instrument of the priest to effect the reality of this paschal sacrifice and the promise to be with us til the consummation of time. Over time, ritual was established to maintain a consistent teaching in the Church throughout the entire world.

As to your question about the passover, the old testament (covenant) is a shadow to the new testament (covenant) perfected in Jesus Christ.

If anyone feels I’ve written in error, feel free to amend. Hope it helps.

total relism;11406808] mass question

what qualifies a mass? is it any time believers gather and break bread remembering jesus Crucifixion?.

Is it the Passover super? has it changed from jesus time and if so why how?.

thanks.

Eucharist, Holy Communion, Lord’s Supper - call it what you will, is as you have said,

remembering Jesus’ Crucifixion

"For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come." I Corinthians 11:26 Douay-Rheims Holy Bible

And commentary from John Gill (23 November 1697 – 14 October 1771) Theologian.

Gill’s Exposition of the Entire Bible

“For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup,… Not any bread, or any cup: but what is ate and drank in an ordinance way, and according to the institution and appointment of Christ, and with a view to the end proposed by him; and though there is no set fixed time for the administration of this ordinance, yet this phrase seems to suggest that it should be often: …”

(All emphasis mine)

Protector.

the dates are incorrect. I stopped after the very first date re sign of cross which started before 300.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.