Catholic Understanding of The New Age Movement

Hello Everyone

As part of my ongoing research; I am wondering if I can hear from Catholics, exactly what their views on The New Age Movement is?

What do Catholics view as the main tenets of spiritualism? Why? etc.

Thankyou, in advance for your help. :slight_smile:

It depends on what you mean by ‘New Age’ or ‘Spiritualism.’ If we are talking about stuff like A course in Miracles, Eckhart Tolle, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Niel Diamond Walshe, ‘The Secret’ and things like that, generally for Christian prayer and spiritual life they are worthless.

Unfortunately people sometimes also lump perfectly orthodox Christian mystics like John of Cross, Meister Eckhart, Teresa of Avila or others in with the New Age and spiritualism. Christians should turn to great saints, doctors, and mystics in the Christian faith rather than New Age forms of spirituality. The Christian deposit of faith includes many different forms of spirituality for many different kinds of people in different stations of life. It is up to each Christian to decide which devotions or prayer methods or spiritual paths are appropriate to them, but all should led to God through Jesus Christ.

Here’s a link from the Vatican website:
vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/interelg/documents/rc_pc_interelg_doc_20030203_new-age_en.html

Personally, the problem with the “new age” movement is it does not confess the Lordship of Christ Jesus.

Oh I think the problem is more than a personal one :wink: , although I can understand why a Catholic wold take it personally.

But that’s the most bogus aspect of the New Age interaction with Christianity. It invents an entity that has absolutely nothing to do with God the Son, and gives that entity the same name as God the Son.

Blessings,

Gerry

I would recommend reading this book to maybe clarify some things

Catholics and the New Age by Fr. Mitch Pacwa

The OP asked for Catholic’s views so I gave my personal one after giving the Church’s…even though they are the same.:slight_smile:

Two major tenets of The New Age Movement are actually detailed in the Bible for they have been around since the beginning:

1/ Ye shall not surely die - Gen.3:4

2/ Ye shall be as Gods - Gen.3:5

Various New Age books and magazines I can access here at our local library, and in many public lobbys or waiting areas would verify these two tenets as being central to the New Age Movement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.