Catholic Unity

Need help with this one:

clicky

Stu.

Hi Stu!
That’s just somebody’s opinion…and proves nothing except to the other “administrator” who posted on it. I’ve noticed that there are a great deal n-Cs on their forums I’m on that do just what those two guys did. Slap each other on the back for how great their posts are. I think it’s sort of pitifully funny.

You know that’s all hooey anyway, as those supposed divisions that they site don’t really exist.

Those are not all schismatic groups (like the various n-C denoms are) and I wouldn’t honor it with a response.

They badly mistake the freedoms of discussion and dialog and study with diversity of doctrine, but there is only one source of Catholic doctrine and that is the church.

We Catholics may argue (sometimes vociferously!) about things, but at least we don’t just run out and hop a bus to the next street corner and start another whole new denomination like the n-Cs do!

The wide diversity of thought and dialog within the church is one of the things that keeps us squared away and is a great blessing in that it helps us test all things long before the enemies of our most holy faith get at them, and so makes us all the stronger… Yes and more united.
Pax tecum,

[quote=Atreyu]Need help with this one:

clicky

Stu.
[/quote]

Unity is found in the faith, not in its people. There is one true faith, even though some people may reject it. The faith can be seen in the catechism.

Just as families might argue, fight and discuss so also the Church of which the family is a model. Despite having certain levels of individualism one still belongs to the family with only one Papa and Mama. Where Peter is there is the Church. It is the Pope and the recognition of him as head and the sharing of the Eucharist at a common table that makes us one, not total lockstep agreement in all things. Those outside the family are prone to wishful thinking and need to denigrate that which they do not have…

The unity that Catholics have is a gift given by God. We become open to that gift through faithfulness, and in no other way (including techniques cribbed from pop psychology).

In this case it is the receivers of the gift, not the Divine giver, who must answer for those cases where it does not have the full effects the giver intended. But I shudder to think what state “unity” would be in if that gift were to be utterly withdrawn. When the gift is ignored, or when it is overlooked that it is indeed a gift, not something we manufacture, what typically replaces it is not some degree of unity in the truth, but a conspiracy to support a lie that everyone decides to agree to. A very poor second best, indeed.

Blessings,

Gerry

[quote=Atreyu]Need help with this one:

clicky

Stu.
[/quote]

**They’re stupid, any smart serious protestant can see that. :wink: Ultratraditionalists, Liberals, radical Charismatics, would obviously all be excommunicated and many are. As for the cultural, that’s okay as long as they don’t let it get in the way of their faith (the ‘culture’ of death is anathema). As for the “Popular Folk,” what does that have to do with anything? :smiley: **

I have to agree with Roman on this one. Just stupid. A friend of mine is a member of Opus Dei, and he is by no means a “I am better than you” Catholic. This website is obviously authored by a person uneducated of the Catholic faith. While he tries to build a case of selecting a dozen or so “subsects” of the Catholic faith, we are by no means one of 33,000 protestant sects in the US alone.

Thanks guys. I was really after some way of replying to this message, but I think I’ll take CM’s advice and not respond… Thanks for your help anyway (it still helped me)!

Try reading some of this guys other posts. He’s a crackpot, plain and simple.

I’ve had several discussions with him. He is a little ignorant of Catholic theology (even though he was a Catholic for many years), but in his favour I can say that I can have good discussions with him without any negativity. My username there is stufromhobart…

[quote=jimmy]Unity is found in the faith, not in its people. There is one true faith, even though some people may reject it. The faith can be seen in the catechism.
[/quote]

I’m probably in the minority here. Even though I don’t like the tone of many of the comments in the post and don’t agree with a lot of it, I think the main point is these are the pererceptions some non-Catholics have about the ‘virtual divisions’ in the Catholic church. I agree that unity is found in faith and if you go to official Church teaching there is unity. But I think this doesn’t negate the fact that we have a problem with Catholics accepting the Catholic faith and authority of the Church. This gives the perception of divisions in the Church - heck - I see those ‘virtual divisons’ in my parish! Yes we are all ‘Catholic’, but we are definitely not unified in our belief in the teachings of the Church and its authority, and it does not show the world the unity that Jesus prayed for in John 17 to our Protestant brothers and sisters. If we do not live this unity in our own house and make it visible, we are going to have a much harder time convincing our non-Catholic friends to come live with us.

[quote=Atreyu]Modernist, liberal Catholicism

The post-Vatican II ‘‘progressive’’ Roman Catholicism that to varying degrees rejects traditional doctrine. .
[/quote]

Very funny. Obviously they’ve not read the documents of Vatican II which if anything call us back to our traditions. :slight_smile:

Pray for their conversion. That’s about all you can do with folks like these.

When did I post that?! I don’t remember posting that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.