Catholic Update

What do you all think of it?

I convinced my husband that if he was going to decide that our children couldn’t be Catholic- he at least needed to go to some classes and learn what it means to be Catholic…so he could make a true informed intelligent decision for our children.

So we go, and they hand us this Catholic Update Pamphlet. I’m reading through it, and the whole time thinking ???!!!>>>

I may be a little old fashioned and not modernistic in my beliefs, but these ‘Updates’ seem to be trying to Update Church teaching all on their own!

I guess I’m looking for others opnions. I don’t think we should be using them in our RCIA classes. These are people who are coming to try to learn what it means to be Catholic. After I read one of these, I wasn’t even sure any more :o Or at least I knew I was Catholic- but not that sort of ‘Catholic’.

Maybe I’m being to harsh…any opinions?

Well, what do they say? I did not recieve these “Updates” at my R.C.I.A. classes (and I am in it right now). When to look and see if they are orthadox? Concern grows on face as I wipe the sweet from under tupay If he is accually going to take a serious look at the church I would hate for him to blow it off on inacurate concepts.

Here’s a link that addresses Catholic Update. Perhaps you should share this with your husband.

catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?art_id=29722

this is what they were using for RCIA when I arrived. I scanned the list of authors for the entire series, and saw enough to be very skeptical. While there are some good authors, including Fr. Groeschel, the majority are problematic, as is their parent publication, St. Anthony Messenger. I reviewed the articles by problem authors, brought my concerns to the pastor, and now they are banned. We isolated a few that are orthodox, and which come in both English and Spanish, and we order them from time to time. But really, I don’t have time to review everything from a publisher on the chance that something orthodox may be allowed to slip in a slush pile of dissent. I just stick with reliable publishers.

There are definite points of dogma where all Catholics must agree, but there are also vast theological areas where faithful Catholics can have different opinions.

The imprimatur that each issue of Catholic Update has only means that it is allowed (i.e., consistent with the faith) to believe what the articles say, not that it is required to believe what the articles say.

Many Catholics find the articles in Catholic Update to be useful. Other Catholics find the articles in Catholic Update to undermine the faith. The important thing is that Catholicism is a big tent, and can accomodate both sides.

[quote=Catholic2003] The important thing is that Catholicism is a big tent, and can accomodate both sides.
[/quote]

I guess I was thinking that was the sad thing…that being Catholic can mean such different things to different people. To me all of this encouragement of free thinking, philosophizing, updating, modernizing, changing ideas of church teaching to more accurately fit our world now- IS NOT GOOD.

I am not in favor of many things that took place since Vatican II. It seems the changes and rewordings that happened in this council were almost purposely worded to prosper confusion, seperation, self interpretation among parishioners. You can’t tell me that they believed it would lead to more unity in the Church. When you word things ambiguosly- you are going to sow the fruit of confusion. That is not a Good fruit.

This ‘Update’ pamphlet follows in this type of style.

[quote=puzzleannie]this is what they were using for RCIA when I arrived. I scanned the list of authors for the entire series, and saw enough to be very skeptical. While there are some good authors, including Fr. Groeschel, the majority are problematic, as is their parent publication, St. Anthony Messenger. I reviewed the articles by problem authors, brought my concerns to the pastor, and now they are banned. We isolated a few that are orthodox, and which come in both English and Spanish, and we order them from time to time. But really, I don’t have time to review everything from a publisher on the chance that something orthodox may be allowed to slip in a slush pile of dissent. I just stick with reliable publishers.
[/quote]

Can you share some of the resources you use now in your RCIA classes instead?

Hello,

A book I bought for my sister to help he learn more about the Faith is:
catholicbkpub.com/ONLINE_CAT/DETAIL/b_detail.asp?IM_ISBN=089942242X&MC_ID=CE

Although it’s a Christmas present for my sister, I looked through it and started to read it. It’s a rather easy to understand explanation of the Faith and I would recommend it to one starting out exploring the Faith of one who wants a refresher course. I’m guessing that it was written pre-Vatican II since the pictures show the Priest facing the altar and I think there was a section mentioning you can only receive Holy Communion once a day (except in grave circumstances) whereas now you receive twice a day if the second time is during a Mass in which you participate. Still, with that caveat I recommend it especially at the price. The Catechism of the Catholic Church is better but for someone coming into the Faith it might be rather intimidating and some of the stuff would probably go over their head. You might be better off giving them the above Catechism instead.

Catholic Updates from the 1980s (early 80s, that is) generally aren’t so bad. But since that time the publisher, St. Anthony Messenger Press, has entered a love affair with leftwing dissidents in (?) the church and I’ve noticed that more recent Catholic Updates are often misleading. I will no longer purchase them myself and I don’t recommend them to others and certainly NOT for RCIA classes !!!
Love,
Jaypeeto3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.