Catholic View of Islam

I am watching an episode of Threshold of Hope that lays out the Church's relationship with Judaism. Just curious: What does the Church teach about Islam?

Dan

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day." (Lumen Gentium 16; cf. Nostra Aetate 3.)

Hope this helps!

-ACEGC

It does help. But at the same time it leads to lots of other questions. In a way it is an encouraging statement, but also perplexing. Definitely intriguing. God and the Church are wiser than I am. So I shut my mouth.

Thanks. That helps. What are the implications of that statement?

P.S. I am not anti-Muslim. I am just trying to get a handle on the spirit of the Church's teaching, even if it isn't a major point.

Essentially it means that the Catholic Church acknowledges that those who practice Islam worship the One True God, that we too worship, though they lack the understanding of God and his Gospel sent to us by his Son, Jesus. So, we worship the same God, but they err on many areas of doctrine.

Thank you for the explanation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.