Catholic view on gender and gender pronouns

What is the catholic view on gender? Some people believe they have a man’s body but a female gender or vice versa. How would you defend the catholic view on gender?

I wasn’t aware one had been ‘officially’ formulated - but I imagine we could articulate a compassionate one that does not give license to bodily mutilation while acknowledging the real ongoing trauma that gender dysphoria entails. Not all that dissimilar to the position on homosexuality in some ways; it might only be seen as a “problem” when one takes particular action (surgery, in this case, presumably).

While having a truckload of new pronouns irritates me, that’s something I think I have to get over and generally speaking people should be referred to as they would rather - but that no offence should be taken (or intended) by using the pronoun that one’s outward appearance might suggest is right.

I think, incidentally, that “defending the Catholic view” is looking at the issue the wrong way around - one should be articulating in favour or against a change, rather than assuming that the “new way” of using pronouns or thinking about gender, is inherently right.

Using the new gender pronouns is a silent assent that this phony theory is not phony. I don’t agree that deviants should take over bathrooms nor the English language.

There is no wrong body, no matter what some may say.

Either the human soul is “sexed” (gendered) or not. If not, then the soul is the same whichever body he or she has, and **cannot **have the wrong body.

If the soul is sexed, because the soul forms in and with the body (no Thomistic burns, please) directly by God, the gender will be that of the body. The soul can **know **no gender other than the body’s.

Pronouns change nothing. In Spanish, bodypart names have a gender; the head (la cabeza) is feminine. That doesn’t change the fact that 50% of heads are male.

ICXC NIKA

Genesis 1:27

“God created mankind in his image;
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.”

There are two genders, male and female, as created by God. There may be many sexual preferences but only two genders.

Here’s a good article on the subject:

catholic.org/news/national/story.php?id=54514

Best,
Ed

I am curious to know how the Catholic Church might respond to human being who is born intersexed - or with physical attributes of both male and female?

No way of knowing.

But all parts of our natural bodies are subject to the law of entropy, including in genetic development. The sexual system should not be expected to be an exception.

If someone is born “intersexed”, that is as much a birth defect as a deformation in the head or limbs; it is not a “new normal,” as the gender-choice armada are trying to make it.

IMNAAHO

ICXC NIKA

“Male and female He created them.” That should be the end of it. Until seemingly recently, this was never thought to be an issue.

I appreciate your attempt to respond.

Being born intersexed is so rare that it could never be the new normal. But my question is, this - as such people exist in tiny numbers in the world as we know it, what is the moral obligation of their sexual reality? Who decides those obligations in such a case? And if the decider is God, who gave life to us all in our many many creative expressions, then what would God say? Celibacy? If celibacy, then why?

I have lots of questions about this. In no way am I trying to trap anyone. But I have oftened wondered what the Catholic Church’s responses to such “deformations” (your word, not mine - would never call it that) is?

And to my point about the intersexed, “sometimes male and female he made them.” What of them?

Authentic teaching on gender is contained in St. Pope John Paul II’s catechesis Theology of the Body.

ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/JP2TBIND.HTM

-Tim-

Intersexuality is not what I meant by the new normal, but rather the meme that “ok, occasionally gender is ambiguous, so it should be considered a choice for everybody.”

As you said, this condition is exceedingly rare, so it should not become the pretext for all-encompassing changes in the civil society.

As to whether such persons must live in celibacy, the truth is that everybody who does not “find someone” is expected to live in celibacy. Not everybody does.

In any given case, the physical condition would govern what they could aspire to.

ICXC NIKA

Agreed that this is the Catholic Go-To for such concerns.

Some are born with black hair and others blonde. We don’t make an issue over the color of hair when it comes to God. What is the issue of someone who is intersexed? Can they become pregnant or can they inseminate?

There isn’t an official viewpoint.

And then original sin happened, nothing has been the same since.

Only recent in the West, in India for example written record predates Christ.

In parts of Canada both the English language and the bathrooms have been overtaken by gender theory.

“If you’re a girl and you don’t like the idea of someone in the shower room who claims to be a girl but looks exactly like a boy anatomically, you’re the one who has to move.”

Quoted from this article: Gender Dysphoria and Hope

FYI the gender theory that c have talked about is feminist gender theory which is that male and female are social constructs and the differences in behavior are purely constructed which happens to be quite hostile to transgender people.

If you don’t know a persons gender don’t worry about it. Say they to be safe unless they say otherwise.

Listen, you can’t please everyone! Recognizing and promoting normality is right and proper in a sane society. The brush is broad enough to accommodate sporty girls and sensitive guys but a peach will never be an apple.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.