Catholic views on/of sexuality

Ok, this might be a can of worms that I'm opening, but..... why are catholics in the USA so divided over issues of sexuality??? I mean-divorce, Gays and Lesbians, birth control pill, etc etc etc????

I was not raised in a catholic home by the way.... so it's kind of all new to me.

Thanks....

The divide isn't just Catholic, it's across society as a whole and so this is reflected amongst individual sections of society. Catholics who do not understand or really know about Catholic teachings or have been lead astray by secular society may have some views that are not true Catholic morals.

I've heard it said Catholics are to sex what bulimics and anorexics are to food...unhealthily obsessed. Sometimes, it seems there's some truth to that statement.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:3, topic:225901"]
I've heard it said Catholics are to sex what bulimics and anorexics are to food...unhealthily obsessed. Sometimes, it seems there's some truth to that statement.

[/quote]

I disagree. What makes you think that?

The division comes, in a nutshell, from the human struggle of wanting to do what we wish or what we believe is right vs what the church tells us as Catholics. Some things are more black and white than others:

Divorce - "what God has joined let no man put asunder". Basically, God blesses a marriage through the priest or chaplain or deacon, etc and no man can change that.

Gays/lesbians - God created us in His image, plus humans are to marry and have sex and have kids; part of the commitment you make when you take vows. Gays and lesbians cannot do so. Also, this kind of sex is explicitly condemned in the bible in several places. It always comes up that "well, God made me this way, so it is OK". Well, no, it's not. There is a whole thread all of its own.

Sex - this is the area which causes the most stress, confusion, frustration, etc among Catholics. OK, causes a lot of it; depends on who and where you are on such matters. Some will say it is as simple as "the church says so, so that's it"; many will argue it is not that simple - and it is not. Bottom line is the church tells us what is and is not proper and allowed; some folks do not like that. Not just because it is human nature to want and have sex, but also because it is difficult to think of the church in the bedroom with you. This is all a very simplified answer, and only one incomplete one, to a very complicated issue.

Birth control - abortion is killing a human life, period; humans can only create humans, so a child is killed. As for birth control, God created us to love and procreate, and birth control prevents that. It puts pleasure first, or so goes the thought, without consideration for the "procreative and unitive" aspects of sex between couples. Yes, there is NFP which allows for sex and avoid pregnancy, but the couple is still "open to life", open to the possibility of pregnancy.

These are only quick answers and thoughts. Nothing is simple or only has one side. keep reading; I'm sure you will eventually be inundated.

[/quote]

I could say the same thing about Lutherans (or Christians in general, if you will), really.

[/quote]

Not unhealthily obsessed. Where does that come from? Maybe because Catholics disagree and argue over what the church dicates and so it becomes a focus? Bulimia and anorexia are mental/health disorders quite often not under the control of the person - I don't look at sex that way at all. It can be looked at as something which is restricted in some manners, so like anything else, we "want what we can't have". Therein lies the aruments.

As society has become corrupted, so has the Church. There was a lot of teaching that was neglected in the “Sinless Sixties and Seventies.” People wanted to believe that they could do whatever and it wouldn’t matter, and people got more and more humanistic - there aren’t barbed wire fences around the Church - if society is liberal or libertine, then people like this also come into the Church with their attitudes. If the leadership of the Church can’t confront and deal with this problem, then we end up looking like hypocrites, as we preach about morality and yet we have pro-abortion politicians strutting proudly up to take the Eucharist on Sundays.

So is that way a lot of people don’t go to Mass anymore? Becasue of hypocrisy??? Or what?

I mean if I’m a moderate, should I leave/quit going to church or still keep going?

[quote="jasonsdec77, post:9, topic:225901"]
So is that way a lot of people don't go to Mass anymore? Becasue of hypocrisy??? Or what?

I mean if I'm a moderate, should I leave/quit going to church or still keep going?

[/quote]

I doubt it's over hypocrisy, more likely they feel the same way about their obligation to participate in the Mass as they do about their need to follow other Church teachings.

Many people will say they are Catholic, but in their hearts they've basically left the Church behind. They go on Christmas and Easter more out of tradition, like putting up the Christmas tree and hiding eggs for the kids, not out of any sense of requirement or desire. Some go on those days, because they think their requirement to receive the Eucharist at minimum once a year during Easter, honestly means they also only have to attend Mass once a year.

"... why are catholics in the USA so divided over issues of sexuality??? I mean-divorce, Gays and Lesbians, birth control pill, etc etc etc????"

Poor homilies, poor Catechesis, poor adult faith formation training, personal unwillingness to respect the wisdom of the Popes (and again - poor preaching), secular influences, moral relativism .

There's a reason why a priest with 4 doctorate degrees felt the need to teach "kindergarten " faith formation class to adult Catholics.

As a Catholic and an American I take exception to this characterization. Sex it would seem, has been a societal focus of mankind for all of history. From Paul to David to Adam and Eve. it seems somewhat backwards to assume that it is The Church that obsesses over this and not the media, homosexual groups, countries, all religions....etc. it also seems that those who seem to take exception to what the Church teaches about sex are those who are somehow not living in the Tradition of the Church.

gay pride parades,
any comercial in primetime,
any show on TV
Presidents
europe leaders in sex scandals
tiger woods
music
no fault divorce
Prop 8
Sharia law

Gee it must be the Church and her flock that obsesses about these things.:rolleyes:

with so many diviances, moral degredation, exploitation, and historical significance it would seem that God would be remis not to address these vices of man through His Church and his people.
Catholics are fallen people striving for God's will and Way, hence the tug of war in an individual, family, parish, country or even the Universal Church.

Because some of us believe what the Catholic Church teaches about sexuality and some of us don’t.

Catholics who know and believe and follow what the Church teaches are not divided about these issues. Those who know and believe might sometimes struggle to follow, but they aren’t usually divided over these issues either.

The Catholic views about marriage and sexuality are remarkably consistent. They are part of the whole teachings and they relate to Church teachings on Jesus Christ, (the Bridegroom) and His Bride, the Church. If there is something that you don’t understand or that you struggle to believe, then don’t stop going to Mass or leave. Find out why the Church teaches what it does and pray about the matter.

It goes to Original Sin - some seek Grace to withstand temptation and seek understanding in order to be able to obey the teachings as well as understand them. This includes everything from sex to mass attendance. Others do what they wnat to to do. Others are somewhere in between.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.