Catholic vs protestant

This helped a lot! Thank you, I had the wrong idea about the praying for mary thing. I’ve only heared like protestants talk about it and got the wrong idea.

Thank you so much, this is actually a lot of help.

1 Like

I know that I was wrong about catholics praying for mary. Thank you for being clear and kind in your response. This helped a lot!

1 Like

Yes, it started, as far as I know, as a slur against Lutheran teaching by Calvinists.

Agreed. Lutherans reject the word and its meaning, as well.

And also rejecting the meaning the word conveys.

The Lutheran Confessions, in describing Christ’s body and blood as being “in, with and under” the bread and wine, may have allowed others to use “consubstantiation” to describe this view. These prepositions were intended to affirm that the earthly elements were really Christ’s body and blood and not to explain how earthly and divine elements were spatially related.

I think others do a better job than Scaer, however, not the least of which being Krauth.

1 Like

Well, the best way to be informed about our Church is to watch one of out masses.

Mary is a big part of our church as we pray the Rosary.

Different Protestant Churches believe different things. So, as a Catholic we are not saved in the Calvinist sense. A Catholic can go to Hell, there is no guaranteed salvation just for belonging to the Church. There are certain expectation of doing internal work, not committing mortal sin, repentance for sin committed, a prayer life, and the golden rule.

I can go more into why we venerate Mary. But who know if you are listening

True, but they call themselves Christian, so I included that class.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help! I am thinking of becoming a catholic but I wanted to be entirely sure about he differences between lutherans and catholics by the way because I didn’t know which one I should chose but I was leaning on the catholic side. I wanted to say thank you for being kind and answering the question and providing the site.(some people weren’t so kind)

If this is too personal to ask ignore me, but have you been to either service… a Lutheran or a Catholic service?

Put a dollar in the swear jar😬

1 Like

if i wasn’t an Irish-American who grew up near Boston i could probably do that but I’d be broke :frowning:

1 Like

Not all Christians fall into one of these two, e.g. Eastern Orthodox.

In practical terms your question would require a very long answer. This is because there is no such entity as the Protestant Church. There are a lot of Protestant churches and their theology varies considerably.

This is a Catholic forum. Most members are Catholic. We are Catholics because we believe the Catholic Church is the true Church. You can probably guess which one we recommend you join.

The answer depends on who you ask. We Catholics are going to tell you that Protestants do not have communion because they do not have valid priests. Some Protestants will tell you they have valid priests and valid communion. Other Protestants will not because some Protestant churches do not claim to have a priesthood; they see their ministers as no different to anybody else. They also believe that communion is just a memorial and they consume bread and wine and that’s all Jesus intended. That is a gross generalisation because you are comparing one Church, the Catholic Church, with many Protestant ones.

Not quite, or not in the way you probably think, and many non-Catholics tell it. To be absolutely clear we Catholics worship God and God alone. We do not worship Mary or any saints. However, what we do is ask Mary, our Mother, and the saints to intercede for us. Basically, we ask them to pray for us to God alongside our own prayers.

2 Likes

You’re comparing apples and oranges. The Catholic Church was simply established at the beginning of Christianity, by Christ,. The individual ancient churches that the apostles originally started in various parts of the world are all part of that one Church… Any other “churches” that may have spun off from Christ’s Church with their varying beliefs and opinions and practices, such as Protestant denominations, have strayed to varying degrees from the fullness of the true faith-and are imperfectly connected to our Lords fold.

1 Like

Why is churches in quotation marks. It makes it sound like you don’t think non-Catholics actually go to Church. I hope that isn’t what you mean.

The Catholic Church does not consider western non-Catholic communions/traditions/ denominations churches in a formal sense because they lack a valid priesthood in their view. Instead they refer to them as “ecclesial communities “.

It means that the term “church” is best understood to mean the one church that Jesus established, and that any other offshoot is not the church per se, as a stand alone entity in itself, but only church to the extent that it’s related to and historically flows through the one Church.There should be no other churches, especially considering the hugely significant changes in doctrine that occurred beginning with the Reformation. To call any one denomination a Church is common, of course, just not technically correct and at worst only adds to the confusion already rampant in Christianity

OK…a weird thing to say about “brothers and sisters”… or maybe they’re not. :man_shrugging:

The reference is not intended to be about individuals, but about institutions. A Catholic would say I am a brother in Christ, a Christian, but the Lutheran tradition is an ecclesial community.

Ordinarily, only Catholics can receive Communion in the Catholic Church and not even all Catholics can receive but only Catholics in a state of grace, i.e., who have no unconfessed mortal sins.

In receiving Communion, not only is the recipient expressing their desire to one with Christ, really and substantially present under the appearance of bread and wine, but also their desire to be one with his visible Church, with its Magisterium (pope and other bishops) and all its teachings. As St Paul said, “The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation [or communion] in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation [or communion] in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.” (1 Cor 10:16-17)

This fellow asked the same question.

I have no idea why that would not be brotherly or sisterly-we can’t always give family everything they want. :slightly_smiling_face: Truth must still remain central-for everyone’s sake.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.