Catholic Website Debunking Overpopulation Myth

I need help remembering a website I visited a year or so ago. I think I heard it advertised on EWTN radio, and it discussed the fallacies of the overpopulation myth. It also had videos, or links to videos, possibly YouTube videos, that featured stick figures to help emphasize the message.

Does anyone have that website address? Thanks.

Is it Demographic Winter?
demographicwinter.com/index.html

I noticed EWTN ran it again. I hope some folks ran across it while surfing and decided to watch.

Chilling stuff, hmmm?

BTW, the producers of this video and website are secular & not doing this from any religious viewpoint. Just confirms to me that Catholic teaching on sex, birth control, honoring your spouses' fertility, etc (Theology of the Body) is great Wisdom.

When I think about the ppl who have gotten married later in life and then their children also decide to get married later (like after 30), the grandkids have far less time with their grandparents as they grow up. It's sad that intergenerational connections are not being made as much as when ppl got married regularly in their 20's and had several kids right off the bat.

Fewer cousins, too. In China, I would say most children do not have cousins due to the enforced one-child per family policy.

Peace,
Mimi

Pretty scary stuff.

When I see things like this, it makes me wonder if the human race is doomed, as if somewhere some mastermind is plotting the downfall and ultimate extinction of humanity. Except that this mastermind isn't going to kill us; rather, he's going to convince us to kill off ourselves without us even realizing what we are doing.

I think this diabolical mastermind might be living somewhere Downstairs...

[quote="Mimi, post:2, topic:206900"]

Fewer cousins, too. In China, I would say most children do not have cousins due to the enforced one-child per family policy.

[/quote]

Definitely true. I recently had a young man from China working under me for several months. He had come to the U.S. about 2 years ago, and was trying to get a green card. He hopes to someday have a family with several children, which he cannot do in China.

EWTN was advertising this site as recently as this past Sunday:

http://overpopulationisamyth.com/

Except that we know Scripturally that human extinction is not going to happen. S. Paul said that some humans would be alive to be “changed” of body at Christ’s return (1 Co 15) and our LORD himself, while questioning whether HE would find faith on the earth in the end, never warned that HE might not find human life at all.

Even if the world is not overpopulated, it is certainly more crowded than it has been. Rather than yearn for family patterns of young couples and huge families of the past, we should pray for mass holiness and a love for life among everybody.

ICXC NIKA.

I don't think we need large families or people starting families earlier. I think that a lot of people want to focus on education, and that takes longer these days, not to mention establishing a job and a stable life. As well, its harder to have larger families these days b/c its costly.

I think what people do need to do is stop abortion, remain faithful to their spouse, not use birth control, etc.People need to respect life. However I don't think we'll go extinct.;) The population of the world is one of the largest its been, despite the fact that the world is not overpopulated.

However, I don't think there has been a time where people have used sex and marraige so poorly that it has been stripped of meaning.:(

Yes, the website I was trying to remember is populationisamyth.com (aka pop.org).

:doh2:: Leave it to me to forget the name of a website w/ such an obvious address.

Thank you for the Demographic Winter website! I'll have to add that as well to my favorites list. The trailers are very intriguing!

This is scary stuff! Even the Social Security Administration admits, "the Social Security Board of Trustees now estimates that based on current law, in 2037, the Trust Funds will be depleted. Because people are living longer and the birth rate is low, the rate of workers to beneficiaries is falling. Therefor, the taxes that are paid by workers will not be enough to pay the full benefit amounts scheduled." socialsecurity.gov/mystatement/insert25+pg1.htm (it's the paragraphs in the blue box)

I'm glad we married when I was 19, and had our first when I was 21. Our kids still have their great-grandparents (4 total!!!) as well as grandparents.

Social and economic policy is planned decades before the event. The planners knew when the Baby Boom generation would be retiring. They knew when most women would pass child-bearing age and they are prepared for it.

Remotely operated aircraft and vehicles are being used to fight today. In the very near future, UAVs and piloted aircraft will fight together. A laser for downing aircraft was just demonstrated.

Most population growth is in so-called 'third world' countries. What is happening in the West can be reversed, or foreigners will simply outnumber the natives by virtue of birthrate.

Yes, at one time, intergenerational family bonds of love and trust were strong. No-Fault Divorce helped shatter that. As well as Abortion on demand. A lot of wounds were created. We need to return true caring and commitment to relationships, not 'just sex' as a meaningless event.

As Archbishop Desmond Tutu titled his book, No Future Without Forgiveness, we need to find real caring and real hope again, and healing.

God bless,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.