Catholic weddings

Can someone tell me exactly where I can find all the information on things such as

1-) Are destination weddings OK

2-) Is a marriage course a requirement

3-) How long does the couple have to be engaged before they get married

And this is all out of curiosity (no I am not planning on getting married)

Thanks

[quote="cmscms, post:1, topic:221489"]
Can someone tell me exactly where I can find all the information on things such as

Thanks

[/quote]

Best to talk to a parish pastor, priest, or deacon.

Destination weddings are possible, with a dispensation. The normal place for the wedding is the parish of the bride or groom.

The pre-cana requirements are determined locally, but usually a class or series of classes is required. Wedding planning can be a year long.

Six months to a year or longer engagement is normal, I believe.

Its funny, Ive never been to a Catholic wedding before. Ive only been to one wedding in my life and that was a secular wedding. Honestly, I have little clue about Catholic weddings except for the fact I know that you need to go through marriage classes and clear whatever you do with your parish priest. Traditionally, it takes place in the bride's church.

[/quote]

Your priest.

[/quote]

Depends upon what you mean by a "destination wedding".

Can you go to a destination other than your home parish and get married in a Catholic Church in that destination by a priest? Yes, certainly. This takes coordination with your own priest and the priest at the destination and perhaps some permissions to do so.

Can you go to a destination and get married in a civil ceremony? No. (with a few exceptions related to marrying a non-Catholic by dispensation from the bishop)

[/quote]

All Catholics are required to receive sacramental preparation for marriage. How this is carried out varies from diocese to diocese. Your diocese will have that information available through your local priest.

[/quote]

This varies based on diocesan regulations. In most cases it is a minimum of 6 months for marriage preparation and in others it is up to a year.

[/quote]

Well since marriage is governed by canon law and there are variations depending upon whether or not both parties are Catholic, and since marriage preparation and rules for the celebration of marriage are established by individual bishops in their diocese, we cannot give you hypothetical answers that would be true in every case-- only answers that are true in general.

unless your gettin married in another Catholic church then no
it is in my parish anyway, normally a weekend or 2 evenings and a saturday
the minimum is 3 months tho I think thats more irish law then a church requirement

Thanks

[/quote]

Hope 1986

Irish law requires a 3 month engagement period before one can marry? Did I understand correctly?

That is very interesting. So I guess there is no equivalent to a Las Vegas wedding?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.