Catholic? What difference does it make?

Listen, you Catholics seem a little pretentious to me. If you love Jesus and you have accepted him as your Lord and Savior, then what difference does it make what religion you practice? You seem to get caught up in what you do rather than who you do it for. If you have accepted Jesus and you pray to him, then are all those works going to get you any closer to Heaven? I think that you missed the point and you need to sit down with a priest and find out where your priorities should lie. You are misdirecting your attention… You seem to put too much into the Church and forget about the One who began the whole thing. So, why don’t you realize, that all you need to do is accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and dedicate your time serving him rather than some man made church and religion???

I am sincere in this question???

“He who hears you, hears me. He who despises you, despises me and the one Who sent Me.” Also, “If you love Me, keep my Commandments”. The Church is the Mystical Body of Christ, not just some group started by some guy. When the Church speaks, Christ speaks.

Peruse the main page of this site about all the issues concerning the nature of the Church for a start.

What difference does it make?

Because, we have the Fullness of Truth. We have the Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity of Jesus Himself in the Eucharist, which we are able to recieve into our own bodies every day ("Give us this day our daily bread…the Bread of Life).

We want all of you to have that same priviledge, the Food that will sustain us through all eternity.

How would you feel towards us, when you die and find out what you have been missing during your time here, if none of us had cared enough to tell you the Truth and invite you to share what we have?

Jesus founded the Church and left us shepherds to look after us and guide us. Why shouldn’t we treasure our Divine inheritance?

Wow, spoken like a person who doesn’t understand the Church! Good job! This does sound very familiar! (yes, I know you’re Catholic.)

Yes, I’ve been called pretentious several times when I was trying to explain how the Church was established by Christ, and how we’re the true Church, Apostolic succession, etc. Maybe it was my methodology - I dunno. It’s essential to remember that we should defend the faith with charity and humility. The Truth is on our side!

Ya got me convinced, though! :slight_smile:

Would Our Lord seem “pretentious” when he insisted that John baptize him? How did He explain it? “Let it be so now; for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” (Matthew 3:15)

If you love Jesus and you have accepted him as your Lord and Savior, then what difference does it make what religion you practice?

A great deal.

John 16:[13] When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

You seem to get caught up in what you do rather than who you do it for. If you have accepted Jesus and you pray to him, then are all those works going to get you any closer to Heaven?

How does anyone else know what and why I do the things I do? How does one show one’s love for another except by one’s actions? :shrug:

I think that you missed the point and you need to sit down with a priest and find out where your priorities should lie. You are misdirecting your attention…

Well, if nothing else you’ll get a good cup of coffee and fellowship out of that, though I doubt the priest will suggest you change much of anything.:slight_smile:

Misdirecting attention? So my focus on Our Lord is not where my attention should be? :hmmm: Matthew 25: [1] "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be compared to ten maidens who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.
[2] Five of them were foolish, and five were wise.
[3] For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them;
[4] but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps.
[5] As the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.
[6] But at midnight there was a cry, Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' [7] Then all those maidens rose and trimmed their lamps. [8] And the foolish said to the wise,Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’
[9] But the wise replied, Perhaps there will not be enough for us and for you; go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.' [10] And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast; and the door was shut. [11] Afterward the other maidens came also, saying,Lord, lord, open to us.’
[12] But he replied, `Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’
[13] Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

You seem to put too much into the Church and forget about the One who began the whole thing.

:ehh: How does that happen? For it is in the Church that I am ever confronted with Christ and His call upon my life. Luke 10:[16] “He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

So, why don’t you realize, that all you need to do is accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior

and dedicate your time serving him rather than some man made church and religion???I’m sorry…can someone please show me where that is expressed in the Word of God?

How is the Church man made? :shrug: If as Matthew 16:18-19 tells me that it was built by Christ Himself? Don’t know what religion they are referring to, but the description doesn’t fit the Catholic Church.

Isn’t prayer for other’s intentions and service to them also service to God? (Matthew 25:31-46)

And I am sincere in my responses.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.

[quote=JackPaul]Listen, you Catholics seem a little pretentious to me. If you love Jesus and you have accepted him as your Lord and Savior, then what difference does it make what religion you practice? You seem to get caught up in what you do rather than who you do it for. If you have accepted Jesus and you pray to him, then are all those works going to get you any closer to Heaven? I think that you missed the point and you need to sit down with a priest and find out where your priorities should lie. You are misdirecting your attention… You seem to put too much into the Church and forget about the One who began the whole thing. So, why don’t you realize, that all you need to do is accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and dedicate your time serving him rather than some man made church and religion?
[/quote]

The reason why it matters is because the Church of Christ is united in doctrine, not merely in the false claims of “core beliefs” that no one can seem to define with any kind of authority. Since the Holy Spirit cannot teach error, not every church is guided by the Holy Spirit. Two conflincting doctrines cannot both be true.

To borrow a line from Church Militant “There is no ‘Christianity-Lite’.”

Scripture speaks clearly on unity in doctrine, unity which Jesus desires:
John 17:22 “And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one”

Here Paul stresses unity in doctrine:
1Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no schisms among you; but that you be perfect in the same mind, and in the same judgment. "

And again showing unity of faith:
Eph 4:3-5 “Careful to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. One body and one Spirit; as you are called in one hope of your calling. One Lord, one faith, one baptism.”

And again in verse 14-15:
“That henceforth we be no more children tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine by the wickedness of men, by cunning craftiness, by which they lie in wait to deceive. But doing the truth in charity, we may in all things grow up in him who is the head, even Christ:” (Christ is mentioned again as the head of the church in Eph 5:23. To be united in doctrine is to be united to the Church, of which Christ is the head.)

Again Paul stresses unity in orthodoxy as he exhorts Timothy to keep the faithful from learning error:
1Ti 1:3 “As I desired thee to remain at Ephesus when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some not to teach otherwise,”

Paul again teaches Timothy about the dangers of conflicting doctrines:
1Ti 4:1 “Now the Spirit manifestly saith, that in the last times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to spirits of error, and doctrines of devils,”

Paul now tells Titus about unity in doctrine:
Titus 1:9 “Embracing that faithful word which is according to doctrine, that he may be able to exhort in sound doctrine, and to convince the gainsayers.”

There were no conflicting doctrines in the early Church as seen in acts:
Acts 4:32 “And the multitude of believers had but one heart and one soul: neither did any one say that aught of the things which he possessed, was his own; but all things were common unto them.”

From Dominus Iesus:

1. With the coming of the Saviour Jesus Christ, God has willed that the Church founded by him be the instrument for the salvation of all humanity (cf. Acts 17:30-31).90 This truth of faith does not lessen the sincere respect which the Church has for the religions of the world, but at the same time, it rules out, in a radical way, that mentality of indifferentism “characterized by a religious relativism which leads to the belief that ‘one religion is as good as another’”.91 If it is true that the followers of other religions can receive divine grace, it is also certain that objectively speaking they are in a gravely deficient situation in comparison with those who, in the Church, have the fullness of the means of salvation.92 However, “all the children of the Church should nevertheless remember that their exalted condition results, not from their own merits, but from the grace of Christ. If they fail to respond in thought, word, and deed to that grace, not only shall they not be saved, but they shall be more severely judged”.

Obviously, orthodoxy in doctrine matters.

If we forsake the search for truth for the sake of community, then we are no better than the servant who was given the gold coin who hid it in a napkin. We must always respond to the initial grace of faith and continue to strive for a fuller understanding of truth and never become complacent, or lazy and hide it in a napkin.

That response owed to the initial grace of faith requires works, my friend. It is not the works by themsleves that gets us to heaven, but the obedience to God’s will that enriched our good fruit.

Also, if it makes no difference what religion you are, then why did teh Son of God bother to to teach us the truth?

If there is no wrong way to do things then how can there be any lost sheep of Israel for Jesus to save?

“You Catholics.”

Please soften your approach, my friend, and, as some others have already suggested, use this site to learn about what you are so clearly ignorant of.

The Bible itself is man-made. It did not drop from the sky. In its present form, it is made by Catholics, with alterations by others coming later.

I almost envy you: you have so much to learn that, with an open mind free from prejudice–“You Catholics”!–you could begin to see the light.

God bless.

We accept Jesus as Our Lord and Saviour and go to church to honor and praise him in Communion with the Holy Spirit and to obey his command to receive Him in the Holy Eucharist and drink the wine which is His blood that he shed for us. We do this in memory of Him as He commanded His disciples to do at The Last Supper.

Well, if you accept Jesus as Lord, that means that he is in charge of your whole life.

That is in charge of your time, family, money, and your sexual life.

You place him first before anything else.

If you have Jesus as your Lord, then you will want to follow his teachings, and if that is the case, then it is important of which religion you practice, because they don’t all keep to his teachings.
We catholics seem to follow the Church, because we believe that it is the one true church that Jesus established, and it is his representative here on earth. We believe that when the Church speaks, it is Jesus speaking through his church. So in following his church, we are following him.

By the way, where does it say in the bible that we have to accept him as our personal Lord and Savior?

How about this?

10 yr old child: If I love my dad and have accepted him as my father, confessing verbally my love for him, what difference does it make if I obey him or even listen to him?

28 yr old man: If I love my wife and accept her as my spouse, what difference does it make if I “do” things (works) for her?

God required much obedience from the Isrealites throughout the OT. It seems very presumptuous indeed to think all He desires from us now is a confession of love and acceptance.

Listen, you Christians seem a little pretentious to me. If you love God, however you understand him, then what difference does it make what religion you practice? You seem to get caught up in what you do rather than who you do it for. If you have accepted God, however you understand him, then are all those bible studies going to get you any closer to Heaven? I think that you missed the point and you need to sit down with a counsellor and find out where your priorities should lie. You are misdirecting your attention… You seem to put too much into the Christian thing and forget about the One, however you understand him, who began the whole thing. So, why don’t you realize, that all you need to do is accept God, however you understand him, and dedicate your time serving him rather than some man made Christian religion???
Any non-Catholic Christians OK with that?

Pretentious? Pretentious?!?
Nobody comes to the Father except through me”!

Do you think Jesus was being pretentious when He said that, Jack? :thumbsup:

Okay, so your leading off with an Ad-Hominem attack.???

If you are doing something for others, then isn’t this the same thing as “what” you are doing?

Good works, are a requirement of the Bible. Good works, are proof that you have faith. Read the book of James.

I think everyone misses the point, at some time or another. This is actually good advice. We should all be able to sit down with a priest and discuss priorities.

Oh, wait a minute, ya, we do that, it’s called “confession”. Except we usually kneel, instead of sit.

So let’s see, the church is the body of Christ. So we are putting too much attention, into the “Body of Christ”. I say we probably don’t give it enough.

Okay, let’s see, all we need to do is accept Jesus. If that’s all we need to do, then why do you suggest we do more, such as serving him? Your statement seems contradictory to me.

Also, the church is not Man-Made, the Church is Christ-made. He started it on that Rock over 2,000 years ago. So if he started it, why should I ignore it?

Regards,
Chipper

It matters intensely and is a matter that decides our salvation. We are to worship and render to God what is his–the meaning of religion–as he commands and as he revealed in his life here on earth. That worship is carried on only in the Catholic Church, and in the Orthodox Church, sadly dis-united but still enjoying succession from the Apostles on whom Christ founded His Church on Earth and whom he entrusted to pass it on, protected and guided by the Holy Spirit.

If you love God and worship Him, what difference does it make whether you are a Christian or not?

If you are a nice person, what difference does it make whether you practice any religion at all?

Your question is of the same sort as these. You assume that only an individual faith in Jesus matters, but you provide no reasons why anyone should agree with you. The only force in your question resides in our culture’s assumptions that one belief is as good as another. But that implies the other two questions which I have listed.

You seem to get caught up in what you do rather than who you do it for.

You can’t separate Jesus from His Body, because that is how we know Jesus in the time between the Ascension and the Second Coming (indeed, that is how we will know Jesus at the Second Coming, when we become fully united to Him as His Bride). A Jesus who has nothing to do with the Church is an imaginary Jesus (of course, the real Jesus can break through our imaginations at any time, and graciously does so on many occasions).

If you have accepted Jesus and you pray to him, then are all those works going to get you any closer to Heaven?

In other words, you preach a doctrine of works in which two works only (“accepting Jesus” and praying to Him) are necessary. But we aren’t saved by works at all. Not by two any more than by two thousand. We are saved by the grace of God, uniting us with Christ by making us part of Christ’s Body the Church.

So, why don’t you realize, that all you need to do is accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and dedicate your time serving him rather than some man made church and religion???

Of course, this begs the question: Catholics do not believe that their Church is man-made (well, it is, but the Man in question is Jesus).

I don’t doubt you are. But your sincerity needs to be informed by a more thoughtful consideration of the issues.

In Christ,

Edwin

Thanks for your response, you’ve convinced me and I am going to be a Catholic from now on…

Actually, I have to confess that my original question or verbage was a quote that was spewed out to me by a very close family member who just happens to be a cradle Catholic. I was dumbfounded and didn’t really know how to respond to her. So, I posed the question to you guys in the same way it was posed to me to see how you guys would respond. You all gave me some good ideas.

Thanks,
Jack:thumbsup:

Jack, you gotta be careful man! You got some feathers ruffled!:wink:

Agreed. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer it when people tell me everything up front.

Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.