Catholic women, do you feel opressed?

Yes or no?

LOL, No.

no, not at all. In fact I feel so much freer now that I have Jesus to rely on instead of blindly following secular values as I did for so many years. Life is so much more peaceful when you know there is a reason and a meaning esp. for suffering and pain. It is a special kind of oppression to think the sole meaning of your life is to find personal happiness and get rich doing it. Now, when there is pain, I offer it to Jesus. When there is worry I pray for God’s will. When I feel alone or afraid I remember Jesus is with me. I don’t feel oppressed.

No!

Nope.

Not at all!

Not at ALL!! in fact, its the opposite…I feel truly respected…

Nope. I am blessed, not oppressed.

Ha ha, no.

No, the opposite, actually. The Church cultivates and embraces authentic femininity…and thus, that is very freeing.

Yes and no. I can’t be who I really am, a woman who swears, has a high libido, drinks, sings in smoky bars, is sarcastic, and cynical. Because that isn’t a “proper” way for a Catholic woman to be. In that way I feel trapped. I was more myself before I came back to the church. My friends say that a part of me has died. Now in church, I feel like I’m a Stepford wife. I have to dress and speak properly, if I want to feel accepted. I guess it is different because I’m single, and don’t have a lot of Catholic friends.

Not at ALL!!

WHY do you think it’s necessary to hide yourself as a Catholic woman?

I sometimes swear (hey, it happens!.. you try to keep silent when your nursing teething daughter chomps down! :eek:), I have a very high libido, I love good wine, going out for drinks with my husband, and I’m probably one of the most sarcastic and cynical people I know… but that doesn’t make me ANY less Catholic. :rolleyes:

:smiley: I LOVE being Catholic!

Of course not.

Brenda V.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:12, topic:177277"]
Not at ALL!!

WHY do you think it's necessary to hide yourself as a Catholic woman?

I sometimes swear (hey, it happens!... you try to keep silent when your nursing teething daughter chomps down! :eek:), I have a very high libido, I love good wine, going out for drinks with my husband, and I'm probably one of the most sarcastic and cynical people I know... but that doesn't make me ANY less Catholic. :rolleyes:

:D I LOVE being Catholic!

[/quote]

I have to set an example to my friends who aren't Catholic. If I acted the same way as I did before, what example would be setting? My role is Bree Van de Camp from " Desperate Houswives", always be poised even if your world is falling apart and all you want is get drunk and sleep with the next guy.

[quote="CountrySinger, post:11, topic:177277"]
Yes and no. I can't be who I really am, a woman who swears, has a high libido, drinks, sings in smoky bars, is sarcastic, and cynical. Because that isn't a "proper" way for a Catholic woman to be. In that way I feel trapped. I was more myself before I came back to the church. My friends say that a part of me has died. Now in church, I feel like I'm a Stepford wife. I have to dress and speak properly, if I want to feel accepted. I guess it is different because I'm single, and don't have a lot of Catholic friends.

[/quote]

I had to think about your post for awhile but, what you are saying no Catholic man should be either :). Being Chaste (this in reference to your libido) in your station in life is part of being Catholic for both men and women, not swearing frequently (it does happen) is part of being Catholic for both men and women, dressing modestly is appropriate for both Catholic men and women.

Drinking in moderation is again appropriate for men and women, this one whether you are Catholic or not. Being sarcastic and cynical is a neutral for Catholics, men or women!

Brenda V.

The thing to keep in mind though, is that God created us for so much more, than to wish to get drunk and sleep with the next guy. Being Catholic or not, God created every single person with inherent dignity, and worth. To want to give ourselves anything but God’s best, is to actually become trapped. Sin traps us, not the Church. We live in a world that tells us how to live and feel, but that is not God’s version of a good life, it’s the world’s version. Jesus told His followers, you’re IN this world, but not OF it. If anything, the Church sets women free, because it gives a woman a new ideal…not the world’s ideal, which is anything BUT ideal. :o

Hey - I am a young combat veteran who has had my share of partying - literally. Nothing to be proud of. Second part not the first. I can talk to every rank I come across with their own language when need be.

However, I realize I need to be true to what God wants me to. When my will is aligned with God’s will I can be truly free and happy and not in the oppression that Satan has created and tempted me with. Remember if sin wasn’t fun - it wouldn’t be so Gosh Darn tempting.

To answer the original question, no, I do not feel oppressed.

I also am one of those women who has a high libido, drinks (though not excessively) and swears on occasion (probably too much...I'm working on that one). I have never smoked and I detest the smell, so smoky bars are not something I "do". Thankfully, in this state there is no smoking inside, so I do go to the bar with my husband or my girlfriends, have a few drinks, dance, and sing karaoke and have a blast. I also gamble (Bingo is gambling, right?). I don't think any of those "vices" go against Catholic teachings. The thing to keep in mind is "everything in moderation". There was a time in my life when I did some of those things to excess, and I have to say, I felt much more alone, repressed, etc. during that time in my life than I do now.

[quote="prodigalson12, post:1, topic:177277"]
Yes or no?

[/quote]

Oppressed by whom?
The Church? No. Absolutely not.

Perhaps you meant oppressed those who claim to "champion" for "a woman's right to choose":ehh: while looking down on women like me who choose to stay home and raise a large family?

[quote="CountrySinger, post:14, topic:177277"]
I have to set an example to my friends who aren't Catholic. If I acted the same way as I did before, what example would be setting? My role is Bree Van de Camp from " Desperate Houswives", always be poised even if your world is falling apart and all you want is get drunk and sleep with the next guy.

[/quote]

Okay, I completely understand being a good example!... but being Catholic means changing on the INSIDE - changing that *desire *to get drunk and sleep with the next guy that comes along.

This doesn't mean you can't go out with your friends and enjoy a drink and some good ol' cynical sarcasm! :o Actually, being "perfectly poised" isn't doing our faith any justice because it doesn't always ATTRACT others to the faith! Do your old friends now look at you as "too good to hang out with"? :blush: That's not good - even Jesus ate and drank with sinners. But He was perfect. There's nothing wrong with hanging out with sinners, or having any appearance of being uncouth - that's what Christ did! What matters is how you truly live. You are a good example to your friends when you give them a hug good night and go home and live a chaste life! But don't abandon them as if you have to put a "poised front of perfection"... that only turns them away from your new found faith! ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.