CatholicGamer.com - Hope you come visit

Hey All,

Just wanted to drop a line and say hi, and to also shamelessly promote my website:

catholicgamer.com/

It's a site that is dedicated to evangelizing gaming (...heh, see what I did there...) to the faithful but also to plant the seed of faith in gamers. Looking for people to come by, pull up a chair and have some fun. :thumbsup:

Enjoy,
Darren

Hey Darren,

Thanks for sharing your blog and welcome to CAF! :wave:

You might be interested in joining in the current Catholic Christian Video Game Ideas thread. Good times are being had by all. :)

Best of luck on building up your blog. I think it's a great idea. It looks very snazzy so far (my apologies for using the word "snazzy").

Hey Joe,

Thanks very much for the compliment.

I'll take a look at that thread. As luck would have it, I have dabbled in game design a bit with Unity...so depending on what you're doing, I may be able to help at some point.

...my apologies for using the word "dabbled" :D

this is cool. as a gamer myself, I can't stand how online gaming will cause many people to become complete scum. I don't know, maybe its the anonymous nature of gaming. My team mates on Gamebattles (yea, I'm involved in that uber nerd high competition thing), whom i know for a fact are Christians (though not practicing) will say atheistic things to me just to be annoying. feel free to add me on xboxlive, my tag is General IR

Ill be sure to check it out (currently busted my net cap trying to update all my games :blush:).

Xboxlive id is scarekrowau
Steam is Laughing Crow

should play sometime :D

[quote="I_R, post:4, topic:241741"]
this is cool. as a gamer myself, I can't stand how online gaming will cause many people to become complete scum. I don't know, maybe its the anonymous nature of gaming. My team mates on Gamebattles (yea, I'm involved in that uber nerd high competition thing), whom i know for a fact are Christians (though not practicing) will say atheistic things to me just to be annoying. feel free to add me on xboxlive, my tag is General IR

[/quote]

Yes, I'd say it has a lot to do with anonymity. I've heard things said and have had things said to me over the Internet that no person could get away with saying aloud, and I know they know it. It's absolutely horrible how the majority of gamers act on the Internet. And being a gamer myself I know just how easy it is to be, erm, an unkind person in a place where no one will be able to do anything about it.

[quote="Catmando, post:6, topic:241741"]
Yes, I'd say it has a lot to do with anonymity. I've heard things said and have had things said to me over the Internet that no person could get away with saying aloud, and I know they know it. It's absolutely horrible how the majority of gamers act on the Internet. And being a gamer myself I know just how easy it is to be, erm, an unkind person in a place where no one will be able to do anything about it.

[/quote]

It really is a shame that some gamers do this. Actually, I was playing Rift last night and was playing some PvP in the Port Scion instance. We were really close to winning and one player said, "GET SOME MORE CRYSTALS MORONS". You know what...it's really is not necessary to call complete strangers that while playing a game.

I honestly have no idea where it comes from. Sure, there is the anonymous factor but I think it might be more complex than that.

Hmmmm...I think I need to write a blog post about this :)

[quote="catholicgamer, post:7, topic:241741"]
It really is a shame that some gamers do this. Actually, I was playing Rift last night and was playing some PvP in the Port Scion instance. We were really close to winning and one player said, "GET SOME MORE CRYSTALS MORONS". You know what...it's really is not necessary to call complete strangers that while playing a game.

I honestly have no idea where it comes from. Sure, there is the anonymous factor but I think it might be more complex than that.

[/quote]

Oh ive doen htis before but only under extreme circumstances (like when someone takes a 5-6 seater black hawk, flies it empty and jumps out and destroys the helicopter when the vechile spawn is 1 minute 50 seconds long :mad:).

[quote="catholicgamer, post:7, topic:241741"]

[/quote]

They called you a moron ? I think you got off lightly. Australian servers are the worst.It is non stop swearing from the time you enter till the time you leave. It can be quiet funny at times, just learn to take things with a grain of salt. They don't know you. So you shouldn't let it bother you. Some times when i get a little bored. I will team kill the person on my side with the biggest mouth just so i can laugh at him rage.

[quote="latin_rite, post:9, topic:241741"]
They called you a moron ? I think you got off lightly. Australian servers are the worst.It is non stop swearing from the time you enter till the time you leave. It can be quiet funny at times, just learn to take things with a grain of salt. They don't know you. So you shouldn't let it bother you. Some times when i get a little bored. I will team kill the person on my side with the biggest mouth just so i can laugh at him rage.

[/quote]

Oh, he wasn't calling me a moron specifically...because we all know how awesome I am (...lol...). No, he was calling out the entire team...even though we were winning at the time. I really don't understand the motivation, but it takes a special kind of crazy to call out your team while on the winning side.

Posted:

catholicgamer.com/2011/why-are-players-rude/

Thanks for the inspiration all :D

Of the current generation, I only own a Wii. So the most offensive thing I have to worry about hearing online is my brother using the auto-response "I'm using my Mii!" in Mario Kart. Although, the homebrew afficianados can be a bit annoying with their hacks. :p

I can understand how it can get heated, though. Thinking back to my college days (where multiplayer games -- like Goldeneye -- actually meant we were all playing in the same room) the language would still get rough (particularly when I would lay down proximity mines in every single re-spawn location :p). Emotions can run high. Perhaps that's the nature of some games (or some gamers).

[quote="Joe_5859, post:12, topic:241741"]
Of the current generation, I only own a Wii. So the most offensive thing I have to worry about hearing online is my brother using the auto-response "I'm using my Mii!" in Mario Kart. Although, the homebrew afficianados can be a bit annoying with their hacks. :p

I can understand how it can get heated, though. Thinking back to my college days (where multiplayer games -- like Goldeneye -- actually meant we were all playing in the same room) the language would still get rough (particularly when I would lay down proximity mines in every single re-spawn location :p). Emotions can run high. Perhaps that's the nature of some games (or some gamers).

[/quote]

LOL spawn camping. Nothing get the rage going quiet as fast as spawn killing. That and using "noob" tubes.

:smiley: Yeah, I guess my line of thinking has always been that, if I can do something in a game using only my intellect, observational skills, and hand-eye-coordination (i.e. no hacks), then it’s not cheating. It may be cheap, but it’s not cheating. :stuck_out_tongue:

To keep the peace, I eventually had to hold myself back and not do anything and everything I could to increase my score. Of course, when it was time to study and people refused to leave my dorm room, I would crank it up a notch until they threw their controllers down and stormed off in a huff. Then I could study in peace. Ah, memories… :stuck_out_tongue:

this is why i love left 4 dead, most of those cheap tactics are out the window. although people accuse me of being cheap because of my turtle beaches.

[quote="I_R, post:15, topic:241741"]
this is why i love left 4 dead, most of those cheap tactics are out the window. although people accuse me of being cheap because of my turtle beaches.

[/quote]

heh...yeah, the one thing zombies DON'T do is turtle. ;)

personally i don’t see it as cheap. all it is, is complete surround sound and who would pass that up. it makes games sound so great

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.