Catholicism and Astrology

What is the Catholic Church’s position astrology? I know that many religious people don’t like it, and think that it is a sin, but is that really what Scripture says?

Luke 21:25

“And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars.”

Jeremiah 10:2 says not to use the sky.

But, many translations say different things!

“Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them” (King James)

“Thus says the LORD,
Do not learn the way of the nations,
And do not be terrified by the signs of the heavens
Although the nations are terrified by them” (American Standard)

Those are both the same passge, but two completely different translations!

Is astrology wrong, or not?! Maybe if the 50,000 different Bibles didn’t contradict themselves so much, we’d know!

Astrology as generally understood now, is the acceptance of the power of the seven planets over our fates. This is the de facto worship of “gods” less than our God, and so is wrong. The broader practice of “meaningful astronomy” is not against God, and in fact the Christ’s coming into the world was fortold via astronomy in which meaning was given to heavenly events.

So in brief; understanding that the sky reflects God’s glory as mysteriously as the rest of creation is good, but to put oneself under the yoke of lesser gods through astrological horoscopes, etc. is proscribed in scripture.

Peace, love and blessings,
Seraphim S.

PS> The eclipse on the funeral day of our last Holy Father was remarkable.

And there’s a lunar eclipse today, the day of B16’s installation.

[quote=kyle8921]What is the Catholic Church’s position astrology? I know that many religious people don’t like it, and think that it is a sin, but is that really what Scripture says?

Is astrology wrong, or not?! Maybe if the 50,000 different Bibles didn’t contradict themselves so much, we’d know!
[/quote]

For the Bible to say there will be visible manifestations in the sky that are precursors to traumatic events is different form saying we should chart the zodiac and use it as a basis for living our life, which in the final analysis, what astrology is (other than the harmless diversion of looking up your “horoscope” in the paper for amusement). For the record, here’s what the Church teaches, from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

**2116 ** All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

Perhaps this article from Envoy Magazine will help you:

Trust Me, I’m A Psychic!
envoymagazine.com/backissues/1.5/sept_octstory2.html

[quote=Ahimsa]And there’s a lunar eclipse today, the day of B16’s installation.
[/quote]

And when the Red Sox won the World Series.

Lets define our terms.

Astrology is the study of the stars. It is understanding that there is a universe composed of space, stars which are really suns outside of our solar system and the existance of other planets which may or may not support life. It is looking into the sky and seeing a star called Orion or a constellation named long ago “Cassiopaea” (sp?)

Astronomy is divination using the stars. Any form of divination is condemned by the Bible and by the Church because by definition it seeks power to knowledge that belongs only to God. It seeks to control our paths when we need to be giving that control to God and following Jesus Christ in faith, not through the omens given by the stars which are created by God.

God should be teh center of our being because he is our Creator. Why would one want to put faith in something which has been created, versus the Creator HIMSELF?

And THAT is the Catholic position on ASTRONOMY.

ASTROLOGY is a science and based on whatever scientific information we can learn about creation outside of Earth.

Hope that helps.

[quote=JCPhoenix]Lets define our terms.
[/quote]

You’ve got them backwards.

[quote=Pentecost2005]You’ve got them backwards.
[/quote]

Yup, you’re right.

I did the dumb thing and used the logic that applies to the other sciences (Geology, Psychology, Criminology, Pathology, Osteology…etc.).

So reverse the terms I incorrectly defined and the rest is true.

:o

Funny thing, I even looked it up and STILL misread the term in my book! :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.