Catholicism and supposed Assyrian influences

I found this to be mostly mish-mash silly stuff, and have responded to the person who has posted it. But I was wondering what a Catholic viewpoint would be to this, as a lot of the content contains anti-Catholic rhetoric:

wisdomworld.org/additional/christianity/RitesCeremonialDress.html

It’s on pagan influence of ceremonial dress/vestments. In my opinion, the article did not really stay true to the original topic and went off on an unrelated topic, but yeah. It’s published from a Theosophy magazine in the 1960’s, and the whole e-book is called “The Christian Scheme.” Please, your thoughts? Replies? Rebuttals?

Peace,
Kolya

[quote=kolya] Please, your thoughts? Replies? Rebuttals?
[/quote]

Rebuttal to WHAT? It’s all true, of course. God did not perscribe to the Early Church what style of vestments to use, or what style of architecture to use, or whether or not to use candles or incense, or any other such thing. The Early Church was pretty much “on it’s own” to come up with forms of worship and expression - and, of course, they drew upon human experience. Nobody ever said, “hey, we can’t do anything that’s ever been done before - we need to invent a whole new style of liturgy, clothing, etc.” That’s foolishness! Of course, they worshipped in a way that was familiar to them (but with a different understanding of WHO it is they worship).

Concede the point - of course there are pagan and Jewish influences in the Early Church - they were pagans and Jews!!! What do you expect??? So what???

[quote=kolya]I found this to be mostly mish-mash silly stuff, and have responded to the person who has posted it. But I was wondering what a Catholic viewpoint would be to this, as a lot of the content contains anti-Catholic rhetoric:

wisdomworld.org/additional/christianity/RitesCeremonialDress.html

It’s on pagan influence of ceremonial dress/vestments. In my opinion, the article did not really stay true to the original topic and went off on an unrelated topic, but yeah. It’s published from a Theosophy magazine in the 1960’s, and the whole e-book is called “The Christian Scheme.” Please, your thoughts? Replies? Rebuttals?

Peace,
Kolya
[/quote]

It’s a bit short on sources - a lot of it seems toi have been taken from “The Two Babylons” (which is not an accurate source for these matters)

The first place you should always check is the main page of the Catholic Answers website. Everything you need to know.

Is Catholicism Pagan?
catholic.com/library/Is_Catholicism_Pagan.asp

I always thought this is the most ridiculous claim against the Church-that it has “pagan” influences. If it doesn’t relate to doctrine and dogma, but to disciplines like our buildings or vestments, who cares?

Do the folks that rag on the Church about such things have a problem with going into some public building with Ionic or Doric columns-that is a “pagan influence”. Or how about the Statue of Liberty-Liberty was an ancient Roman goddess that was used by the Founding Fathers of the U.S. as a personification of the ideal of liberty, does that mean the U.S. worships the goddess of liberty? These notions are pure foolishness.

[quote=ComradeAndrei]I always thought this is the most ridiculous claim against the Church-that it has “pagan” influences. If it doesn’t relate to doctrine and dogma, but to disciplines like our buildings or vestments, who cares?

Do the folks that rag on the Church about such things have a problem with going into some public building with Ionic or Doric columns-that is a “pagan influence”. Or how about the Statue of Liberty-Liberty was an ancient Roman goddess that was used by the Founding Fathers of the U.S. as a personification of the ideal of liberty, does that mean the U.S. worships the goddess of liberty? These notions are pure foolishness.
[/quote]

No more than they do about the “Liberty Bell”, AKA Bel; or Baal.

The US is knee-deep in paganism: Washington is “Father of his Country” - a title of Augustus Caesar: who was also Pontifex Maximus. Washington is therefore the Pontifex Maximus of the USA, its national deity. The USA has enormously high buildings - making it the new Babel: which is the real reason it is a racial melting-pot.

The only reason such Protestants don’t realise they worship:
[list]
*]their Washington-god (who would seem to be a war-god; this can alone can explain why his first name has been adopted by some war-like Presidents and others),
*]the piece of cloth blasphemously called “Old Glory”,
*]their national leaders (who are hymned with “Hail to the Chief”, which proves that they both kings & priests)
*] the five deified Presidents of Mount Rushmore and the Lincoln Memorial, is, that they have not yet been told.
*]They also adore a major divinity to whom they ascribe omnipotence, the so-called “Almighty Dollar”.
[/list]Genuine Christians know that worshipping money is the root of all evils, and that avarice is idolatry. ##

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.