Catholicism and the future of the USA

Just want some thoughts from everyone here.

What do you think the future of cathoicism is in the USA in relation to other branches of Christianity? The numbers are growing fast due to hispanic families (From what i’ve read, if asked I can go look it up, might take me a bit though) and that trend is expected to continue. What i’ve noticed is what seems to be a rapid decline in real spiritual values in many “anglo” families in the USA and the end result of poor or what I think is a total lack of morality. What I also notice is how not only the elderly seem to be neglected, but you hear more and more about the bodies being left at the morgue and the state being left with the tab.
Also, from old protestant friends of mine i’ve been told as a branch many of the mainline denominations are dying out. Also no offense to the evangelicals out there but man a lot of the ones I know don’t seem to do much. I speak of the megachurch variety, the ones who teach Jeeezus in all his blond hair and blue eyed glory (that’s sarcasm i’m not serious with that one) was conservative, wanted to be rich and in some cases (Hagee in TX) believes the poor should starve. I shudder when I think what the end result of all that will be in a few decades and more importantly if the Catholic Church will step up to fix the mess that stuff is already causing in a lot of the places such as the bible belt and the midwest.
Also, think the Catholic Church will do much for the increasing number of people who are left unclaimed in morgues? They die without any final rites, farewells from anyone and pass on unacknowledged. Rather grim fate.

In my view Catholicism is growing and mainlines are falling, also evangelicals are steady but increasingly “non denom”.

It seems Americans in large just want to be american consumers with a side of spirituality, that’s affecting all churches. The increase of the Catholic Church is not just Hispanics. It’s a growing church among many Protestants and non spiritual converts as well. I see a hopeful future.

As for the unclaimed in the morgues, at least in my county, every couple years, they cremate the remains and have a multi faith service and place them in a marked grave. So there are some things done for them but very sad still.

I can’t speak to anything but non-denominational and Catholicism. A lot of my friends became non-denominational, which seems to be very popular with the 20-somethings. I have also noticed an increased trend in very devotional Catholicism from young people. They have such a fire in them that I never saw myself growing up in the Church. It gives me hope.

Many of the liberal Catholics on this forum will disagree, but this is my opinion.

I am politically and fiscally conservative. Most of the people with whom I have regular contact are also politically and fiscally conservative. We are also pro-life, but against many of Pope Francis’ expressed sentiments on immigration, the environment and the redistribution of our so-called “wealth.”

The Catholic Church will continue to lose support among people who (like me) refuse to embrace illegal immigration; who won’t sign on to the Pope’s wealth redistribution desires; who think it is more important for the United States to fight ISIS than global warming.

I am just not on the same page with the Pope and I never will be. I wish him well, but find him divisive. So do many others. It isn’t just me.

Agreed. Also, with programs like Symbolon, YDisciple, Chosen, Altar-ation, FOCUS, Stubenville Conferences, etc… as the New Evangelization continues to grow, I believe Christ’s Church will bounce back stronger in the United States.

But we need the younger people who are witnessing and who are part of the New Evangelization to take over the committee leadership positions in our parishes. As long as our committees keep trying to do things the way it was done in 1985, we are in trouble.

At least as of 2011, the Catholic Church in the U.S. was in decline in total members, which probably explains the subsequent large number of parish closings in places with large Catholic populations like New York and Milwaukee. The general thought is that Catholic numbers were maintained for years by high levels of immigration from Central and South American, but now that this immigration has slowed, so has Catholic Church growth in the U.S.

ncccusa.org/news/120209yearbook2012.html

Possibly. I don’t know exactly how they count numbers, but some decline is likely from members that already had one foot out the door. This is especially true in large urban areas where you might have people who identified as Catholic, but have not been to Mass in years.

Outside of immigrants there is a strong uptick in culturally conservative Catholics with a orthodox faith. They are tending towards larger families (6, 8, 10+) and early signs of passing that deep faith on to their children. It will take several generations for those to make any headway in reversi g the decline. That being said I think you will continue to see a decline in overall Catholic adherence for the next several decades. I have no fear that if the Church begins to dwindle that She will grow again as later generations react to the growing paucity of morality. The pendulum always swings back and forth.

What are the Catholic numbers in America for 20-30 year olds in comparison to 30+?

We first need to address the Nones. Those who were Catholic and now are identifying with no religion at all. The “spiritual not religious” crowd.

I agree that there are some great programs out there for the youth and many of them are stepping up to the plate. I’m hopeful.

The number of Catholics in the USA continues to grow, not decline.

cara.georgetown.edu/CARAServices/requestedchurchstats.html

That’s good. Disgusts me how people.just let family rot in a morgue unclaimed.

That’s good. Disgusts me how people.just let family rot in a morgue unclaimed.

Most of the statistics presented by CARA don’t point to sustainable growth for the Catholic Church in the U.S., except by continuing to encourage certain types of immigration. For example, since 2000:

Annual infant baptisms: -21%
Annual adult baptisms (RCIA): -51%
Receptions into full communion (RCIA): -30%
Children in parish education programs: -24%
Former Catholics +78%
Foreign-born Catholics: +40%

From 2010 to 2014 there was an increase in the number of registered Catholics of about 1 million, while the number of foreign-born Catholics increased by over 2 million.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.