Catholicism and the new world order

"CCC 2241 The more prosperous nations are obliged, to the extent they are able, to welcome the foreigner in search of the security and the means of livelihood which he cannot find in his country of origin. Public authorities should see to it that the natural right is respected that places a guest under the protection of those who receive him. "

This is a policy that is damaging to the interests of U.S. citizens, Both WASP and Catholic. We can only onload so many third world derelicts and offload so many jobs overseas before the system falls apart.

The Catechism says we are “obliged, to the extent they are able.” This would preclude an obligation that causes our system to collapse. Our moral obligation is finite.

Discussions about the potential economic consequences of deporting every illegal alien and preventing every corporation from off-shoring jobs are off-topic in this forum.

I agree. And I would think that the cathechism is open to a certain level of agreement as well, being that the bolded part allows for the right of self-determination, protection, and governance. The reason there is so much contention on this issue is because this particular teaching, while given with authority, is still somewhat subjective. Therefore it can support both sides of the debate. What is *not *up for debate (as far as I understand the authority of the cathechism and the nuances of infallibility) is the *method *in which we approach the issue. That is, we have to arrive at our decisions from a Catholic-oriented state of consciousness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.