Catholicism and theatre

Greetings!

I am student of drama and I wish to write a text about reception of theatre in Christianity. Since I don’t have much time, I’d be very happy if anybody would give me a hand- I’d like to know the names of Early Church Fathers texts which dealt with the theatre. Quotations would be even better.

As far as I know, Early Church was very strict when calling theatre evil and pagan, mostly in writtigns of St. John of The Cross and Augustine, but the story changed during the Middle Ages, thanks to plays of a certain nun ( I knew the name ten minutes ago, and now I forgot :shrug: ). To me this shift is very interesting both as a Catholic and as an artist studying theoretical background of this phenomena.

I’d also be thankful for any information on Jewish theatrical practices before Christ’s Era, since I know they were literally non-existant.

If somebody knows a website of some sort, I 'd be happy as well.

Thank you! I wish and pray for God’s blessings for you and your people!

While this is kind of off topic your talk about the shifting position of the Church in regards to the theater brought to mind the how the Church used to be really anti-dancing, and a touching story concerning St. John Vianney, namely that there were several “dances” in the area that he served, and instead of condemning them as many others would have he acknowledged that they had a certain value and turned them into something good. Apparently the Eucharist was exposed outside (maybe as part of a procession) and the younger people could dance happily outside under the supervision of their parents.

Catholig

While this is kind of off topic your talk about the shifting position of the Church in regards to the theater brought to mind the how the Church used to be really anti-dancing, and a touching story concerning St. John Vianney, namely that there were several “dances” in the area that he served, and instead of condemning them as many others would have he acknowledged that they had a certain value and turned them into something good. Apparently the Eucharist was exposed outside (maybe as part of a procession) and the younger people could dance happily outside under the supervision of their parents.

Catholig

I am a student studying theatre design and technology. My understanding is the early church went against theatre because it was very pagan and theatre back then was watching the gladiators kill each other.

After this however, The church basically saved theatre by using it to portray various scenes in the bible. So as you can see, it depends on what it being portrayed and not just an overall objection to theatre.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.