Catholicism & Discouragement

Hello friends, I recently decided to go back to the Catholic faith after months and months of expiramenting and researching. I came back a few months ago and now I am living the Catholic faith happily as a Catholic revert. The problem I have is that whenever I go on YouTube I just feel discouraged about my Catholic faith. Not that I doubt that its true but that from watching all these anti-catholic and anti-christian and even anti-religious videos that get millions of views (to be fair I watch those videos and they’re pretty bad, when I watch them I feel that I can easily debunk their statements but it just makes me feel sad that millions of people watch these video and think they’re true) it just makes me feel alone in this modern world of secularism. Don’t get me wrong I love the modern world, I love things from YouTube to watching TV and reading new books and the great technology and high living standard, but in terms of religion I just feel like the world is against me and my religious beliefs sometimes. I don’t know if this is logical or not. Do you guys have any tips on how to fight this discouragement? Thanks in advanced!

First thing, welcome back!

Second, Get Off Youtube!!

If it is discouraging you, don’t watch!

The Church is a lot bigger than Youtube. Get involved in your parish, volunteer at a charity, go to Adoration and daily mass if possible.

Read and study and pray. Be involved in the community or a hobby.

Find the things that build you up and encourage you. Work on encouraging those around you.

Be the best employee/student/parent/child you can be, so you’re a witness of the Truth in your family and community, and don’t worry about the millions who are arguing on Youtube, except for sending up prayers for them.

Get close to Jesus and stay there, and don’t let anything or anyone push you away.

I feel that way too when I see such inaccurate misinterpretations of the Catholic Church.

The pagan world will always oppose Christ’s Church. That should not surprise you.

Maybe these verses will help:

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 16:33

Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you. I John 3:13

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. I Peter 4:12-13

[quote=“JordanEgllasia, post:1, topic:499432, full:true”]t. Do you guys have any tips on how to fight this discouragement?
[/quote]

@JordanEgllasia , keep in mind these words of Jesus and be blessed .

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.” (Matthew 5:11)

[quote=“JordanEgllasia, post:1, topic:499432, full:true”]
The problem I have is that whenever I go on YouTube I just feel discouraged about my Catholic faith[/quote]
Simple! Avoid those vids like the plague they are.

Just that simple. I was lured into various troll traps there.

No more!

Disregard those hate-filled vids and simply pray for them.

Quit watching the videos then.
Why would you want to watch something that made you feel negative about your faith?
You also have no way of knowing if the millions of people who watched all thought the video was true. Some probably did and some probably didn’t. Some may have watched in order to come up with good arguments to debunk them, some probably watched just for a laugh or for curiosity.
It’s not your concern what other people do, what they watch, or why they watch it.
Concentrate on yourself.

It sounds to me like your faith at this point isn’t strong enough to be watching a lot of that stuff and also, it’s a giant waste of time. I’m sure there are a lot more productive things you could be doing rather than wasting your time on Youtube…go out into the sunshine and get some exercise or something.
Or at least watch something more interesting on Youtube.

Go to daily mass instead of wasting time watching those kinds of videos. Get some books and read about Catholicism, tell us what your interest or questions are and people will gladly recommend books. Spend time on CAF just reading. There is a wealth of answers here. As I said on your other thread, use the search feature, there is a lot out there to help you. You don’t need to rely on YouTube.

Garbage in = garbage out! Good things in = good things out!

Ask very reliable persons for book, magazine, websites, pod casts etc suggestions and stick to that. There are lots of recommended books and videos in other threads that people have started.

Print out St Paul’s letter to the Philippians chapter 4 verse 8 and put it on the edge of your comupter screen, heck, tattoo it on your arm :slight_smile:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

There are many, many good Catholic things on YouTube:

My son is a big fan of the YouTubeer “Max Kolbe” at RedPill Religion

The classic videos of Fulton J Sheen

Debates of Dr. Peter Kreeft and Trent Horn

The better known online apostolates are

John Michael Talbot
Fr Mike Schmitz
The Catholic Channel
EWTN

Why are you watching anti-Catholic videos? This is obviously the source of your discouragement.
Scripture tells us that when we put on Christ, we are to work toward the renewal of our minds. Put away anything that saddens the Holy Spirit, and embrace truth, peace, goodness, charity, faith.

Spend the time watching pro catholic videos or doing other things that enhance your faith and life. There will always be haters, but you are not bound to either change their minds or give them an audience.

At least most of the pagan world had (and has) some respect for the virtue of religion.
Our world has people who are virulently anti-religion because they resent anything that takes authority away from them (something Pope John Paul II was well-acquainted with) and also people who see themselves as “recovering Catholics.” They haven’t just left the Church. They see tearing down the Church as a virtuous act.

I listen to EWTN a lot. Luckily they have a radio statjon near enough to me that I can listen during the day, then at night, I listen on my phone, or I listen to Catholic podcasts and the like.

Even when I am not actively listening, when my attention goes back, I am hearing something good instead of trash.

Would you hang out with people who bash your best friend, or would you decide to give them a miss? Same with what we invite into our homes and our heads with media.

It can be overwhelming, depressive and hurtful to our hearts to hear our Faith and Church put down but we must PRAY for those people to accept the Holy Spirit and love the One True Church that Jesus Himself founded. They are lost and they need to be found and turn to God and the only way is by prayer.

Could be you are being called to debunk these videos on YouTube. If you are camera shy, you could have your voice with something nice for the screen. Or you could spell it out like they do for the music videos. Sounds like it could be something fun to do! Peace.

Well, except that if the OP is becoming discouraged in their own faith, they might need to Make their own faith stronger before helping other people.

Right…Discouraged…after watching discouraging videos. Seems logical. So why not…Encourage…by watching encouraging videos or better yet, making them! Truth be told, nothing is better than…Mass. Reconciliation. Adoration. Making debunking videos might be fun as a side thing to help others see the truth too! Nothing is more helpful to increasing Faith than Mass. Reconciliation. Adoration…REPEAT! Peace.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.