Catholicism is Christian

Please explain your answer and let this thread be nothing more than statements of opinion.

Leave all the flamethrowers in the closet… :gopray: :bible1: :heart: :twocents:

0 Likes

what is the question?

0 Likes

can’t answer. I’m yet to see an argument that Catholicism isn’t Christian

0 Likes

[quote=Church Militant]Leave all the flamethrowers in the closet…

[/quote]

[The Garg puts his flamethrower in the closet, but forgets that he has his handy dandy bazooka in his back pocket…:wink: ]

**I am under the Impression that CM is tired of hearing protestants saying things like **

**" OH…im not catholic, I’m christian!", **

**even though they are innocently[no catholic has ever set them straight] ignorant, it still gets frustrating. :banghead: **

Peace be to you all!

0 Likes

Of course, it is.

Original Christianity is the sum total of the teachings of the Catholic Church.

The Protestants in or after the 16th century, echoing Luther’s teaching that the Bible alone is the source of faith and morals, redefined Christianity as the religion of the book. Not so.

The Bible is not an instruction book in Christianity, no matter how Protestants (and others) twist it.

I understand the reason for the thread. I’ve been told a jillion times by Protestants that I’m not a Christian.

The questions go like this:

Are you a Christian or are you Catholic?

Have you “been saved” or are you a Catholic?

Oh, you’re Catholic? I’m a Christian.

And flat out: You’re not a Christian.

Grrrrrrr.

JMJ Jay

0 Likes

[quote=Church Militant]Please explain your answer and let this thread be nothing more than statements of opinion.

Leave all the flamethrowers in the closet…

:gopray: :bible1: :heart: :twocents:
[/quote]

My flamethrower isn’t working right now. Its Chistmas!

Of course Catholicism is Christian. The early Church of the first and second centuries looks much more Catholic, theologically and doctrinally speaking, than not. Just ask our friends St. Irenaeus and St. Ignatius of Antioch.

Got to go. I’ll be late for our traditional Christmas dinner.

A Blessed Christmas to you and everyone.

Gerry :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Best one I ever saw was an Evangelical minister dressed in a cowboy hat, boots, jeans, and tie standing in in Red Square with St Basil’s Cathedral in the background asking for donations so he could bring Jesus to the Russians. When the interviewer asked him why he didn’t think the Russian Orthodox Church was christian his answer was -

"Well just look at the Moselm domes they put on their churches for an answer! When he finished his plea for money he began to sing that greatProtestant hymn called - “A cold bottle of beer won’t wash away your sins!” I’m dead serious!

Or the Evangelical T-Shirt that shows a picture of St Basil’s Cathedral and the following - ‘Help bring Jesus to Russia’.

One doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry at the ignorance, lack of respect, and just plain stupidity. And then they wonder why the Russian enacted laws to keep them out!

Orthodoc

0 Likes

I think that the strategy of saying that catholicism isn´t christian is for not losing members because with history orthodoxy and protestantism lose

0 Likes

PuzzleAnnie,
I’m sorry if that seemed ambiguous…
I figured, (rightly It appears) that the very statement would spawn discussion since this is not the opinion of all who post here.

This may also spawn other threads as specific topics prove to be important. :wave:

0 Likes

Hi.C.M. They will know we are christians by our love,by our love,they will know we are christians by our love. GREAT SONG :wink: God Bless C. M.and may Christ bless you with His Peace ,Joy ,And His Love.

0 Likes

[quote=Katholikos].

The Bible is not an instruction book in Christianity, no matter how Protestants (and others) twist it.

[/quote]

Careful, Jay. With respect, itactually is. It simply isn’t the sole source for our authority, which I know you know, having always read your posts with great interest.

0 Likes

I’m not so sure that the idea that “Catholics aren’t Christians” is some sort of Protestant smear campaign. I’ve heard many uninformed Catholics argue that they aren’t Christian.

0 Likes

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi.C.M. They will know we are christians by our love,by our love,they will know we are christians by our love. GREAT SONG :wink: God Bless C. M.and may Christ bless you with His Peace ,Joy ,And His Love.
[/quote]

Hey Spokenword my friend,
Hope your Christmas is blessed and happy!
Agreed…Good song.
However…you fail to address the issue.
Agree…or disagree? Catholicism is Christian.

Dominus vobiscum!

0 Likes

From the Intermediate Thorndike Barnhart Dictionary

The definition of Catholic is: 1. of the Christian church governed by the Pope; Roman Catholic. 2. of the ancient, undivided Christian church, or of its present representatives, including the Anglican, Orthodox, and Roman Catholic churches.

0 Likes

[quote=Stephen Mills]I’m not so sure that the idea that “Catholics aren’t Christians” is some sort of Protestant smear campaign. I’ve heard many uninformed Catholics argue that they aren’t Christian.
[/quote]

Which just emphasizes the dire need for good catechesis and apologetics so that we all have the facts of our faith. It sounds to me some loyal Catholics (at least I HOPE they’re still loyal…better yet devout!) ran into some A/c non- & that the guy convinced him we aren’t and yet he loves the faith and remains.

0 Likes

[quote=Stephen Mills]I’m not so sure that the idea that “Catholics aren’t Christians” is some sort of Protestant smear campaign. I’ve heard many uninformed Catholics argue that they aren’t Christian.
[/quote]

Many non-Catholics believe that Catholics aren’t Christians. Unfortunately, many uninformed Catholics believe the same thing. :frowning:

0 Likes

A Christian is anyone who believes that Jesus is God.

A Catholic believe Christ is God

Therefore Catholics are Christians.

All Catholics are Christians but not all Christians are Catholics.

0 Likes

I am new to catholicism (going to RCIA) but I was raised Southern Baptist. I don’t get it. What would lead people to believe that Catholics were not Christian? What is the argument based on?

0 Likes

[quote=Draygonn]A Christian is anyone who believes that Jesus is God.

A Catholic believe Christ is God

Therefore Catholics are Christians.

All Catholics are Christians but not all Christians are Catholics.
[/quote]

I agree with this post. But I would change “believe” to “trust” since the word believe can be misunderstood for intellectual accent. Intellectual accent does not make one a Christian, but trust (which includes accent) in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation. That is it. Catholic is a theological term used to describe the universal nature of the the body of believers.

Michael

0 Likes

I am thankful for being a Catholic Christian,and the only reason people don’t recognize us as Christians is because of rumors and misconceptions.As a convert to Holy Mother Church, I can say now more that ever before,that I have been given the gift of living the fulness of Christianity.God Bless You all and have a Holy Christmas

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.