Catholicism Is Old Fashioned?

I have been labelled “old fashioned” by people because of my Catholic moral postitions. Many people say that my morals are more suited to the 50’s than the modern era. As I have tried to conform my beliefs with Catholic teaching, does this mean that these people are calling the Catholic faith old fashioned?

Have you been called old fashioned because of your Catholic moral positions? And how did you react to this?

I would also like to clarify that I am not nostalgic, nor do I dress differently, or anything like that. The only differences between me and my friends are my moral and religious beliefs. They call me old fashioned because of my beliefs concerning abortion and homosexuality etc.

I would just point out that new does not equal better, and positions should be evaluated on their merits.

I’d just say that there is no such thing as ‘fashion’ when it comes to what is good and what is right - what is moral. :shrug:

[quote=Genesis315]I would just point out that new does not equal better, and positions should be evaluated on their merits.
[/quote]

I totally agree. However, it is irritating that people call me old fashioned because of my beliefs. It almost feels as if they are ridiculing me because of them. I’m sure they don’t mean to do this, but this is how their comments make me feel.

I’d just say that there is no such thing as ‘fashion’ when it comes to what is good and what is right - what is moral

:thumbsup: Well said.

The problem is that my Catholic positions make me feel disconnected with most of my peers. I feel that my views make me different, and it almost feels like we Catholics belong to a different era, or even a different world. Our morals are so different to those of the average population. I truly believe in the Catholic faith, but it makes me feel like an outsider at times.

The Catholic faith is very counter-cultural, and I really struggle with this.

“Old fashioned” is something a secular progressive would label those that stand by their faith. I would label someone who conforms to beliefs as traditional or better “Christian”. Don’t let it bother you.

To be honest I’ve never been called anything by my friends, but there have been some awkward silences after I’ve tried to explain my point of view on this or that topic, in which I can imagine they would like to call me something. Probably along the lines of “anti-progress”.

I suggest you respond by quoting Chesterton to them: “Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”

That’s a great quote! Where did you get it? Every Catholic should remember this when their Catholic faith puts them at odds with the current viewpoint of society.

“Old fashioned” is something a secular progressive would label those that stand by their faith. I would label someone who conforms to beliefs as traditional or better “Christian”. Don’t let it bother you.

Thanks. You’re right. The more devout I become, the more I will be reviled by society. Look what they did to Jesus. If that is what they did to him, I can expect to be called all kinds of names under the sun for standing by him and his teachings.

I agree with your friends: practising the Catholic faith is like stepping back in time. It requires old fashioned skills like discipline, self-restraint, commitment, following the rules, delayed gratification, recognizing a hierarchy of authority, consequences for misdeeds. Many people today expect to have instant results, pleasure & entertainment without having to wait or submit their will to anything or anyone else. They also tend to reject outcomes or results which are not apparent or immediate.

G. K. Chesterton is well worth quoting on this subject. From chapter 5 of Orthodoxy:

An imbecile habit has arisen in modern controversy of saying that such and such a creed can be held in one age but cannot be held in another. Some dogma, we are told, was credible in the twelfth century, but is not credible in the twentieth. You might as well say that a certain philosophy can be believed on Mondays, but cannot be believed on Tuesdays. You might as well say of a view of the cosmos that it was suitable to half-past three, but not suitable to half-past four. What a man can believe depends upon his philosophy, not upon the clock or the century.

The “fallacies” quote is from the Illustrated London News 04/19/30.

I will be praying for all who struggle with trying to be faithful to Christ and to the plans God has for us. It is certaintly not easy, especially with today’s culture of immorality and death, but there is nothing new under the sun. The Church has been under attack since day one, and it will be under attack until the end of time. We all need to stick with Christ, and follow his will and his example.

Ericka

Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far. It’s good to have encouragement from like-minded people.

The thing I really struggle with is that a lot of people I come into contact with insist on discussing their sexual pasts and practices. They are very graphic and very explicit. I can’t help but feel uncomfortable, because, of course, I do not agree with most of these things and I struggle to practice chastity. I have cousins who laugh because I don’t go to stip clubs with them, and I get called prudish because I don’t want to sleep around. All of this causes them to call me old fashioned, and this is really what this thread is all about.

How do you manage to live your faith without being ridiculed? And are there ever times when you feel embarrassed because your views are different to those around you?

It’s not just about sexuality. It’s also about things like abortion. Do you deliberately keep your beliefs to yourself because you know that people will disagree with you? Have you ever denied your Catholic faith because of embarrassment?

I like it…I wear it as a badge of honor!:thumbsup:

Ericka, thanks for posting. Your words have really helped me come to terms with this issue. Thanks a lot!

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for his sake”… I’m thankful everyday that the CC is old fashioned.

SD

yes, I do avoid such people and expressing my views to avoid disagreement. And if I ever got past the fear I’d probably end up condemning them to hell myself, which is even worse. :frowning: Why can’t I just be like Him?

You are most welcome! I am glad to have been a help for you.

Ericka

The Catholic Church is Christ-fashioned. :smiley:

the answer is love love love them for their differences and tell them so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.