Catholicism Series on EWTN

Fr. Baron's 'Catholicism' series is going to be shown on EWTN starting next week.

ewtn.com/series/shows/catholicism/index.asp

God bless him, but he'd better watch his back!

Seems like anytime we get a good, faithful, orthodox priest that goes high profile, he gets sniped by a bishop, the media, or something!

The PBS stations only broadcast about 4/10 Episodes.

EWTN will broadcast the other six episodes starting on 11/16 at 9PM.

Three episodes will air the evening of 11/16 from 9PM-12AM.

In addition, Father Barron will be interviewed on EWTN LIVE at 8PM:

ewtn.com/series/shows/catholicism/episodes.asp

If you haven't seen the series and you're Catholic or want to learn about Catholicism, you have to watch this series.

pbs.org/ombudsman/2011/10/catholicism_a_religion_but_not_a_pbs_series_t.html

I ordered the DVD's, I watched the whole series and got the T-shirt.
It's awesome and it's LOVE!

Looking forward to seeing this. :)

Greetings to those posting and or reading this thread,

Wow. $149.00 for his DVD's. That's a bit pricey. Is it worth it?

Compared to Fr. Corapi's material and presentation, how does he rate? I spent quite a bit getting nearly everything that Fr. Corapi sold, but I have heard some good stuff about this series. I am debating whether to get it or not and if it is worth it.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

[quote="Scoobyshme, post:2, topic:262329"]
God bless him, but he'd better watch his back!

Seems like anytime we get a good, faithful, orthodox priest that goes high profile, he gets sniped by a bishop, the media, or something!

[/quote]

Let's not get too cynical, Scooby. ;) I don't think Cardinal George would have given Fr. Barron the responsibilities he has given him if he planned on "sniping" him. :p

I love Fr. Barron and have since the first time I saw him speak 5+ years ago. I have heard some compare him to Archbishop Fulton Sheen and I really think that's not far off the mark. He doesn't get embroiled in the whole "right vs. left" ideological wars. He preaches the simple, profound truths of our faith with clarity and wit and he has earned the respect of people from all across the spectrum (just as Sheen did).

If anyone wants to hear more of him, check out his website: WordOnFire.org. He has his weekly sermons on there going back 11 years.

Starts tonight 16th. Looking foward also. I’ve been wanting to head up to Waterbury to the church they are filming the Saints Come Alive at. I use to travel right by it daily a few years back, and never been in the church.

Another very good series though.

Peace

Starts in 15 min on EWTN. 10pm east coast time.

I watched some of the Catholicism series on EWTN and as soon as the opening to the first episode aired with Fr. Barron mentioning as a spiritual master Thomas Merton and that like Buddhism we have to tame our monkey mind... I was like ¨here we go again¨... You would think 2,000 + years of history and thousands of writings by the saints on prayer that you could do alot better at describing how to enter into prayer than using "taming the monkey mind" as a an example.

I tried watching the 2nd episode but just couldn't get into it. The series seemed to jump all over the place from Spain, to New York City to France to Uganda and back without a real order to it.

I think that $149.00 is waaaaaaaaaay to pricey for this series and am not planning on buying it. I will watch the other episodes on EWTN but sometimes I get the feeling that anytime anything Catholic comes out that just for the sake of it having the word Catholic attached to it that some people think that is a good enough reason to promote it.

After watching the rest of the ep's I will come back and see if maybe my mind can be changed about the series.

God bless

I watched Fr. Barron's Catholicism on EWTN tonight. It was the first couple of episodes I guess. I've only seen those two episodes but so far I would recommend the series. The visuals are very beautiful and I like most of what Fr. Barron says. I've listened to some of his talks before on youtube and on CD. He has some profound understanding and he's obviously a really good teacher. I just don't like some of the emphasis or...the style of what he says sometimes. I can't really put my finger on it. Maybe it's just how it seems like he's cowtowing to modernist ideas all the time. Like, on the part about the holiness of the Church. He spends almost the entire very short segment on explaining how defective people are in the Church and not very much time on the holiness of the church. I get how you have to start with people where they live, but I guess I just go back to how I responded to the Church before I was Catholic. I didn't respond to people apologizing for the Church. I responded to people describing how beautiful the Church is. I knew more of the history of the Church than most people, but I wasn't thinking about the Inquisition or the Crusades when I thought of the Church. (The only people who do that are people who already have a grudge against Her.) I was thinking of her art and her beauty and her mystery...all described to me by a lapsed Catholic with no agenda of converting anyone. She only wanted to share her childhood and culture. It didn't have much to do with doctrine or scandals or politics. It had everything to do with lovingly evoking the essence of the Church in all of her mystical wonder. Catholicism has a bit of that in it, so I would recommend it. But, it doesn't have enough.

[quote="TempleofTheSoul, post:10, topic:262329"]
I watched some of the Catholicism series on EWTN and as soon as the opening to the first episode aired with Fr. Barron mentioning as a spiritual master Thomas Merton and that like Buddhism we have to tame our monkey mind... I was like ¨here we go again¨..ss

[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by "here we go again.." but I thought he drove the point home well. He was explaining how the rosary can calm the mind and give peace to the mind when it is jumping from topic to topic. He explains that when the mind is unsettled, the Buddhist call this the "monkey mind." He was not endorsing Buddhism, but rather using a common term among their culture to explain the purpose of the rosary. I found it rather interesting and thought that it displayed the vast cultural knowledge that this Priest, clearly has. I have found the series beautiful thus far.

I meant ¨here we go again¨ in that he tends to have a very modernist view on prayer that involves interpreting how we are to enter into prayer by comparing it to other belief systems that are not compatible with the Catholic faith. If “taming the monkey mind” is the best you can come up with in a Church that has a 2,000+ history then I think one hasn’t looked deeply enough into depths of the Catholic faith.

Another example of his modernist approach was when he was in the church dedicated to St. Mary and the Marytrs that he called the Pantheon in Rome, he said that the Catholic Church “assimilated” the pagan gods into its beliefs and how the church was all about assimilation. If you look in the dictionary for the meaning of assimilation you will see that it’s meaning is the following “absorb into the system”… “to make similar into the mind and thoroughly comprehend” …“to absorb into the cultural tradition of a population or group”…

I don’t see how the Catholic Church has “assimilated” the pagan gods or pagan beliefs into its teachings. His making this point made me think of how anti-Catholic’s watching this program are going to lap this up and say “you see, I told you that the Catholic Church has its origins in pagan beliefs”.

If anything, there wasn’t assimilation but there was a substitution. We would take something that had a pagan meaning and substitute it with Christian meaning.

I don’t care how beautiful the imagery may be in this series…I think I am going to pass on the rest of it.

God bless

I loved the series and Father Barron. I recently left my Protestant Church and can honestly say he is a major factor and getting me over the Hump, well of course Jesus was the main factor but you get the idea. The First 3 episodes I saw were on PBS and they really had me questioning things. The 3rd episode about Mary got me over the edge. I always had a affection for Mary and really didn’t understand why my Church always brushed her off as a non factor. So kuddos the Father Barron and his Youtube clips as well as The series. I highly recommend it to others. I will be sharing them at thanksgiving with some of my other friends from my old church to get there opinion. God Bless.

[quote="jmoneyideas, post:14, topic:262329"]
I loved the series and Father Barron. I recently left my Protestant Church and can honestly say he is a major factor and getting me over the Hump, well of course Jesus was the main factor but you get the idea. The First 3 episodes I saw were on PBS and they really had me questioning things. The 3rd episode about Mary got me over the edge. I always had a affection for Mary and really didn't understand why my Church always brushed her off as a non factor. So kuddos the Father Barron and his Youtube clips as well as The series. I highly recommend it to others. I will be sharing them at thanksgiving with some of my other friends from my old church to get there opinion. God Bless.

[/quote]

I'd like to say WELCOME HOME to you... :D :thumbsup: May the Lord continue to bless abundantly as you swim the tides of the Tiber and reach your destination in becoming Catholic.

God bless

[quote="TempleofTheSoul, post:15, topic:262329"]
I'd like to say WELCOME HOME to you... :D :thumbsup: May the Lord continue to bless abundantly as you swim the tides of the Tiber and reach your destination in becoming Catholic.

God bless

[/quote]

Thank you so much...All the help in answering questions I have had on the Forum has made my decision easier than I thought. :thumbsup: It feels good to be home.

[quote="TempleofTheSoul, post:13, topic:262329"]
I meant ¨here we go again¨ in that he tends to have a very modernist view on prayer that involves interpreting how we are to enter into prayer by comparing it to other belief systems that are not compatible with the Catholic faith. If "taming the monkey mind" is the best you can come up with in a Church that has a 2,000+ history then I think one hasn't looked deeply enough into depths of the Catholic faith.

[/quote]

I think that if you think Fr. Barron has modernist views or that he hasn't looked deeply enough into the depths of the Catholic faith, then you don't know Fr. Barron very well. :p I do hope you keep an open mind and give the series a chance even if a few of his illustrations rubbed you the wrong way.

$150 does seem pricey, but it really doesn't even cover the cost of this enormous undertaking. And it's still less than half the cost of the Great Adventure DVDs. Really, I look at this more as a set for a parish to buy as part of a group study than for individual use. For individuals, it is pricey.

I was going to watch it online, but I missed it! does anyone know if there will be a rerun?

Awesome Possum!

I saw the 2 episodes last night, and the half hour intro. etc.

EXCELLENTLY DONE

Very well produced. Clear. And very accessible to all kinds of viewers.

His target audience it not merely Catholics, lapsed or devout.

He is going for all peoples.

At first glance I can see why people thing $150. is pricey. That is alot of money.

But this is not a one hour program. I believe it’s 10 hours. And considering all the production put into it, it really is a very reasonable price if you look at the big picture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.