Catholicism today

Hi all,

Bad day for me, religiously speaking. I attend a Catholic school, so obviously religion can easily be spoken about. Well, to make a long story short, my friend and I got in a disagreement about the Church and her infallibility. He thinks premarital sex is ok if you’re engaged- I said it’s always wrong. I stated what the Church said, and he claimed that the Church isn’t always right and has been wrong many times in the past, even to the point of changing what they preach. He didn’t have time to say exactly what they changed because this entire conversation happened in the 4 minute passing period.

Secondly, there was a Mass at school today. I witnessed a horrible Eucharistic abuse- someone put the Eucharist in their pocket instead of eating it. I’m sure it was done out of ignorance (I hope it was), but it’s still bad enough.

All this at a Catholic school.

:frowning: I hope things will get better. What are some thoughts?

The church really is in a sorry state. It seems like if you actually follow its teachings, you’re chastised as “too uptight.” As you said, ignorance is hopefully the problem, and if that is true, then the solution is better education in both Catholic schools as well as in the home.

Sadly, I don’t think that’s all there is to the problem. Many people just aren’t accepting the authority of the church. Although this too may be solved by education: education of those who DO believe in the church’s authority, so that they can defend their arguments logically and not just with “the church says this,” which will obviously not be of much help in many cases.

In the good old traditional times it was quite regular that after the communion days (it was not every Sunday, just twice a year, in some places once a month after confession), in the prayer books consecrated hosts were found. On that time there was only communion on tongue.

The most probable explanation was that the kids felt their sins (what they did not confessed, ore committed after the confession) were not courageous enough to stay in the pew, while everybody was going to receive communion, so he put the host into the prayer book, supposedly better place than his sinful body.

Were the good old times horrible? I do not think so. The people on that time were like they are now, sinful, in between the good and evil.

As for the premarital sex

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

1 Corinthians
Chapter 6
Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes nor sodomites
nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.
That is what some of you used to be; but now you have had yourselves washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

@laszlo:

Thanks for the input. I did not know that; now I do :stuck_out_tongue:

What does John 8:7 have to do with premarital sex?

I was not trying to be holier-than-thou. I was stating the Church’s position on the issue. So how does that quote apply?

@Alex:

Thanks for the response. What you say is all generally true.

@stepeh:

A very appropriate quote! I didn’t even think of it! Thanks! :slight_smile:

if you witnessed the Blessed Sacrament being pocketed, the onus is on you as as Confirmed Catholic to tactfully confront this person and to demand to see it and to properly consume it or to return it to a priest. You cannot let this go.

This takes fortitude, courage, but you need to do it.

Where di all this take place? I went to Catholic School in the 1940-1950 period and never saw or heard of what you describe!

Indeed, it takes much.

I told my orthodox (no, not Eastern Orthodox) theology teacher about what I saw. He said he’s going to bring it up with the theology chairperson. I’m hoping they’ll institute some changes in the training of the EMHCs so this doesn’t happen again.

Unfortunately, I did not confront the person. :(:frowning: I will if I see it happen again.

I was at a Funeral Mass this weekend, and I was one of the last to receive Communion. As I looked up, I saw that the Priest had stopped giving Communion and was laser beam focused on what a ~12 year old girl had done / was doing to the Eucharist. She hadn’t yet consumed it, and she was already back in her pew. And she was waving it around. The priest’s composure, but his intense focus as he caught some adults’ attention in the pew to correct the situation, was phenomenal. Nothing was going to progress until that situation had been resolved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.