Catholicism Wiki

I’m a big fan of the Wikipedia, and the concept of wikis in general. But, I disliked some of the anti-catholic bias of the Wikipedia, and I wanted to find a Catholic-themed wiki on the internet. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find one. So, I decided to make my own!

If you go to catholicism.pbwiki.com/chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png you can start building a site all about the Catholic Faith that anyone can edit, making it easier for would-be apologists or theologians to explain Catholic concepts. All you have to do to login is to use this password: jkxwzmxqP3

I hope that this will be a success!

Dominus vobiscum,

Augustinian

Great idea! I was just thinking about what a shame it is that there is not Catholic version of Wikipediea.

look, I am just a grandma, my use of internet chat is limited to this forum, what is a wiki, please?

I have visited that site, found a lot of anti-Catholic stuff, so took it off my list, I have no time to waste on sites that are unhelpful and downright dangerous (as the CA forums take up all my free time, of course), if you guys can build an alternative, more power to you, just make sure anything you post there is authentic teaching, not heresy or schism, and that you give authoritative citations and sources.

I am by no means a computer expert, but my old roomate works in IT. From my understanding a wiki is more or less a program that allows you to create documents that anyone can update or alter. The idea is that if its large enough it will police itself and the information will usually be correct. Correct me if I’m wrong on this computer wizzes. God Bless.

wikipedia has its problems but generally it is great

Hey Guys, this is a great idea! With all the knowledge floating around CA this is bound to be a great site. We definitely need good sources and irrefutability.

Instead of building our own Wiki, why don’t we all gang up on Wikipedia and set them straight? I try to do that with certain articles, but I’m just one person. If eveyone here jumped onto Wikipedia and started editing, you’d see more truth in advertising there. If consensus agrees on a specific terminology or phrase, then it stands. The answer is to become a part of the deciding factor, to protest until the consensus is fair.

Just what exactly are these anti-catholic sentiments you’ve found there, anyway?

There’s already a Catholic wikipedia under way that needs a lot of help, it was brought up months ago in the forums. I think it would be best to concentrate our efforts onto one wiki, you can find the other thread with the link to the wiki here.

I’d still like to know what you all find so objectionable over at Wikipedia, and why you don’t just edit it. You don’t need special permission to do so.

[quote=MamaGeek]I’d still like to know what you all find so objectionable over at Wikipedia, and why you don’t just edit it. You don’t need special permission to do so.
[/quote]

Other people could change it again just the same. Furthermore, it would be nice to go somewhere that you can just sit back and trust the content coming in. A priest once told me that the seminarians he has are so glad to be able to just learn for once, rather than being on guard for heretical nonsense.

The Augustinian, you know that you can edit articles on Wikipedia, right? Edit what you want, and “experts” will clean up vandalism and bias. Also, if you are worried about the bias, contact the creator/founder of the site and ask them to put a label on the article which says that the neutrality of the article is disputed, thus, warning people of the bias.

[quote=Aureole]Other people could change it again just the same. Furthermore, it would be nice to go somewhere that you can just sit back and trust the content coming in. A priest once told me that the seminarians he has are so glad to be able to just learn for once, rather than being on guard for heretical nonsense.
[/quote]

Certainly a place where you can find authoritatively true teaching is necessary, but we should also try to educate others on the faith, and they are not likely to look at such a site. Wikipedia is supposed to be unbiased, so someone wary of pro-Catholic bias may look there first. That’s why I suggest we all go to Wikipedia and edit away until the catholic-related articles are correct. Wikipedia is ruled by the consensus of people writing an article, so if enough of us go there, then the majority on each of those articles will be good.

I still haven’t gotten a good example of anti-catholicism there, though. I just read an excellent Wikipedia article on indulgences that explained it better than I’ve seen most places on the web. I did a little looking around there at other articles, and didn’t find anything blatantly anti-catholic. Granted the occasional vandalism will pop up, but it’s prompty deleted. Does anyone have an example, or are you all just assuming it must be biased?

It seems no one has been able to answer me. I think I’ll stick to Wikipedia, then, thank you. For all the complaining, I’ve yet to get one solid example of anti-catholic bias.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.