Catholics and Evolution: Interview with Cardinal Christoph Schönborn

Are Christian values compatible with Darwinism? A Catholic leader sets out his views on evolution and intelligent design.

http://images.beliefnet.com/imgs/x.gifInterview by Tom Heneghan http://images.beliefnet.com/imgs/x.gifhttp://images.beliefnet.com/imgs/x_ccc.gif

Vienna–…

In a recent interview with Beliefnet in the Austrian capital, Schönborn set out his sometimes misunderstood views, clearly distinguishing between evolution and what he calls “evolutionism.” He explained that while he believes that God is the intelligent designer of the universe, his position on evolution springs from a philosophical rather than a scientific standpoint. His main concern, he said, was not to denigrate evolution as a natural process but to criticize atheistic materialism [the idea that only matter, not spirit, exists] as the dominant philosophy of today’s secular societies.

The following is an English translation of Schönborn’s remarks in German:

**What are your objections to the theory of evolution? **

Evolution is a scientific theory. What I call evolutionism is an ideological view that says evolution can explain everything in the whole development of the cosmos, from the Big Bang to Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. I consider that an ideology. It’s not good for science if it becomes ideological, because it leaves it own field and enters the area of philosophy, of world views, maybe of religion.

Thanks for the link. Here is the print version.

Nice to get more clarification from him, he is an influential Cardinal. His catechetical lectures on the topic here, but only a couple have been translated from the German. Looks like we may have the Catholic version of Phillip E. Johnson.

“[Atheist biologist] Richard Dawkins provided me the best proof of this. I had the honor of being denounced by him as a simpleton, but he said in the same interview that he would not like to live in a Darwinian society. Of course, I’d like to ask him how he can find a non-Darwinian society when everything is Darwinian? There must be some space for something non-Darwinian.” (Cardinal Schonborn)

:smiley:

Phil P

[quote=PhilVaz]Thanks for the link. Here is the print version.
Phil P
[/quote]

The url that Ahamisa provided us is an article, **Catholics and Evolution: Interview with Cardinal Christoph Schönborn **
beliefnet.com/story/182/story_18220.html

Interviewer Tom Heneghan asks, “What do you think of the Discovery Institute and its work promoting intelligent design?”

Cardinal Christoph Schonborn replies, “I think they do interesting work that deserves attention. What bothers me is the unbelievable aggression unleashed by the questions that the Discovery Institute asks. Why do scientists have to react so aggressively?”

wildleafblower, suggests that **Cardinal Schonborn please read this ASAP! ** aclupa.org/downloads/MotiontostrikeDIamicus.pdf

In my opinion, the good cardinal doesn’t understand the full scope of the matter regarding to the Intelligent Design Movement and its founders. I’ll discuss in fuller detail the ‘Discovery Institute’ tomorrow in another topic :slight_smile:

God bless us with cheer :smiley:

wild << I’ll discuss in fuller detail the ‘Discovery Institute’ tomorrow in another topic. God bless us with cheer >>

Uh oh, whatever you do, dude :smiley: don’t tune in to Catholic Answers Live on February 15. :eek:

Hey maybe we can coax HECD2 (Alec MacAndrew) to CALL IN!!! Or maybe I’ll be brave enough to ask Berlinski or Chapman to explain Project Steve. Or explain this page :thumbsup:

Phil P

[quote=PhilVaz]wild << I’ll discuss in fuller detail the ‘Discovery Institute’ tomorrow in another topic. God bless us with cheer >>

Uh oh, whatever you do, dude :smiley: don’t tune in to Catholic Answers Live on February 15. :eek:

Hey maybe we can coax HECD2 (Alec MacAndrew) to CALL IN!!! Or maybe I’ll be brave enough to ask Berlinski or Chapman to explain Project Steve. Or explain this page :thumbsup:

Phil P
[/quote]

My 15 February afternoon looks open, so I might call in.:smiley:

PhilVaz the the totally ‘wild’ dude, “Uh oh, whatever you do, dude don’t tune in to Catholic Answers Live on February 15. Hey maybe we can coax HECD2 (Alec MacAndrew) to CALL IN!!! Or maybe I’ll be brave enough to ask Berlinski or Chapman explain Project Steve. Or explain this page bringyou.to/apologetics/p65.htm .”

Phillip, WAKE-UP :bigyikes: You must regain your memory before I send the Flying Nun to drop a bucket of icewater on you. Remember I told you in the ‘original sin’ episode that I wasn’t a dude! :stuck_out_tongue: Hunt through the threads of your life here. :rotfl: Don’t ever call me a dude again :tsktsk: I’m a heterosexual woman that desires to be treated like a lady by gentlemen. Got it? :thumbsup: Let’s move on to new horizons…

Phil, you should call in, and if against his better judgement, Alec will too! :rotfl: (Where did I hear that line before?) I’ll try and tape record you both for prosperity sake as long as I hear thunder, lightening and fireworks! You might consider beforehand to can the stuff on your website that has any hint of Intelligent Design (proponents). :rolleyes: Hey, you have a book there that you said was by Miller but it’s by Johnson. Hunt for it then toss it in the ‘trash bin’ !

I’m almost finished with ‘Discovery’ but since you’ve marvelously done a splendid job of driving me crazy today :whacky: I need a rest for now. It’s late and I’m tired.

wild << Hunt through the threads of your life here. Don’t ever call me a dude again I’m a heterosexual woman that desires to be treated like a lady by gentlemen. Got it? Let’s move on to new horizons… >>

I remember, just trying to bug ya hetero woman! :thumbsup: I shall never refer to dudes again. :thumbsup:

Maybe someone can start a few pointed threads just before Feb 15 on Berlinski and Chapman and their many evolution mistakes. A few links to PandasThumb should do the trick.

Berlinski 1 Berlinski 2 Berlinski 3

Chapman 1 Chapman 2 Chapman 3

Phil P

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.