Catholics and politics

I am very confused reading this part of Catholic Answers.

I was converted from a fundamentalist church in 1974 and am in my 50s. This was way before RCIA and I was personally catechised by an individual preist.

Compared with my former southern fundamentalist church, and this was in the 70s after all I thought that Catholics were fairly liberal comparatively. I was also formed by reading the works of the Berrigans and the Maryknoll missioners, and I was comfortable in my fantasy of liberal Catholicism.

What opened my eyes was being a postulant in a community of religous in the mid-west.
I was reading the National Catholic Reporter while they were reading the National Catholic Register and the Wanderer.

Needless to say I was not allowed the become a novice, I really did not even know what was going on and that I would be voted on in chapter. I was very hurt by the experience and went hog wild for a time, tattoes. heavy drinking and drugs were my way of living until I repented and confessed.

But I still remain confused. I have always been anti-abortion, but that has not always been the be all, end all of politics as it has become. I have had a stroke and am disabled, and the only thing I agree with the very conservative Republicans is abortion it’s self.

I used to be a moderate Republican, but we seem to have gone out of existence, now I am independent.

The life issues are of prime importance.

OP, recall that in pre-Nazi Germany, abortion was legalized in 1920 (in the Leftist Weimar Republic). Then, that decade, there were the Hungerhäuser; next, in the late 30’s, the massive euthanasia of invalids, mentally retarded, insane and elderly; finally, the Shoah. A society that enshrines the right to slaughter foetuses is headed for the same ghastly practices as during those execrable 12 years.

I think there are a lot of Catholics who go too far on the liberal side of US politics. It’s such a shame.

But then again, it seems like there are a lot of Catholics who go too far on the conservative side of US politics.

I don’t think that US conservatism has all the answers, but I don’t even trust the US liberals’ apparent espousal of *some *Catholic social justice principles, and the evils they espouse are, imo, worse than the evils US conservatives espouse. So even tho I don’t see the supposedly conservative politicians here doing what I would like to see them doing, and they are not avoiding what I would like to see them avoiding, I still think they are better to vote for than the liberals… until a better political party shows up!

MODERATOR NOTE

There is not a news article in the original post, (see the forum rules above for more information), so I am closing this thread with the following comment.

The views of members of this forum range from very conservative to very liberal. The views also very based upon different issues. Some members post much more than others, that does not mean that the opposing view is not represented here in a more muted form.

God bless,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.