Catholics and Revival

I was wondering how Catholics view revival. I’m a pentecostal and there’s alot of focus among pentecostals and charismatics on the need for revival. This comes from the reality of the low spirituality of many in the Protestant churches today. From what I’ve observed there is a real need for revival in Catholicism as well. In this I’m not so much speaking of intellectual but spiritual / relational passion that causes us to hunger and thirst for righteousness. A deeper work of the Holy Spirit in us that brings us to the place where we forsake all the compromise and worldliness that seems to plague the average Christian. Are Catholics generally in agreement for a need for revival?

Steve

I think we catholics have something on the line of revivals. They are normally called parish renewals or parish missions. The goal is somewhat the same. A closer and more deeper walk with christ. An examination of your self and to realize where you could do a better job of serving God and to draw closer to him. I remember a parish mission here and each night was dedicated to a different sacrament. When we got to reconciliation, there were tears and a real spiritual uplift. In fact there were non-catholics present and even they had tears flowing. We had more or less a penance service with individual confession afterwards. It was during the season of lent and it was wonderful. I wish we could have more of these.

Parish missions or parish renewals can renew or provide a boost for the faith of the parishioners, but neither are “Revival.”

There is a Revival movement in the Catholic Church which is absolutely wonderful. It is not as well known as the Charismatic movement, but we got it too :smiley: !

Steve, you really hit the nail on the head when you wrote:

In this I’m not so much speaking of intellectual but spiritual / relational passion that causes us to hunger and thirst for righteousness. A deeper work of the Holy Spirit in us that brings us to the place where we forsake all the compromise and worldliness that seems to plague the average Christian.

On the one hand, Catholic Revival has been heavily influenced by Protestant Revival, and on the other hand, I think it is partly an outgrowth of the Catholic Charismatic movement. From personal experience of both, while the Charismatic movement leads to praise, Revival starts with praise, leads to deep worship, with exposition and benediction of the Blessed Sacrament (when a priest or deacon is available).

I, and many others, have said that a Mass celebrated by a priest who is part of Revival, with a congregation of those involved in Revival, is so worship-filled that it feels like we would all be lifted off this earth straight into heaven.

Those Catholics involved in Revival have become even more faithful and obedient to the Catholic Church, with a concurrent deepening of their Sacramental life. Visitors or guests at Revival Masses or prayer services have experienced deep and lasting conversions, and spiritual and physical healings are not uncommon.

I can only pray that Revival sweeps through the Catholic Church so that the hearts of many nominal Catholics would be touched and turned wholly to the Lord.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.