Catholics and Rwandan genocide

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/05/AR2009020502767.html

As the media is having field day with this “Holocaust denier scandal,” I came across this op-ed in the Washington Post. The author, Michael Gerson, claims that Catholics were complicit in the Rwandan genocide. I don’t know much about this issue. What roles the Catholics have (good or bad) in the Rwandan genocide?

-cfabbriumd

The author is correct that there were Catholic Hutus, who participated in the massacre in Rwanda. There were also Catholic Hutus who helped Tutsis escape, with risk to their own lives.

Also, there were equally as many Tutsis Catholics, who were the victims of the Hutus.

A good book on the subject was written by a devote Catholic woman, a Tutsi, who survived the holocaust by hiding a 4ft X 7ft bathroom, with 6 other women, for 90 days.

The book is, “Left To Tell,” by Immaculée Ilibagiza.

Its an excellent book and her devotion and faith, along with her willingness to forvive those who killed her parents and her brother, is an example of holiness.

Jim

I read this book, it is the only book that has ever made me cry. It changed me. I also saw her speak at at church in Arlington, VA. She is such an inspiring person.

I was about to post the same thing!

Her book has been an inspiration on the days when I don’t feel like praying the rosary.

I, too, have read the book and seen Immaculee in person. A friend of mine, a priest from Uganda, was with us when we saw her. He had experienced many horrible things growing up in Uganda and he felt so honored to meet and talk with her. Read the book. Its incredible and terrifying all at the same time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.