Catholics and the Military in the Age of Catholic Kingdoms (500 - 700 A.D.)

On my website I am trying to do a series on Catholics and the Military in each age of Church History. The fourth installment is up, and is called “Catholics and the Military in the Age of Catholic Kingdoms”. I thought you guys might be interested in this series, so I’ll post the links here as I complete them. I hope you enjoy!

Catholics and the Military in the Age of Catholic Kingdoms (500 - 700 A.D.)

Contents

The Wars of Catholic Spain
—Battles against the Kings of France
—Battles against the Byzantine Empire
—The Civil Wars of Catholic Spain

The Wars of Catholic England
—Against Britons
—Against Barbarians
—Against the Mercians
—Battle between Egfrid and the Mercians

The Wars of Catholic France
—Clovis I against the Arian Kings of France
—Clovis’ Sons against the Arian Kings of France and Spain
—Clothar’s Wicked Army against the Saxons
—The Civil War between Clothar and his son
—Against the Huns
—Against the Lombards
—Against the Saxons
—The Civil War between Chilperic and his brother
—Battles against the Byzantine Empire

The Wars of Catholic Italy
—The Italian Byzantines against the Pagan Lombards
—The Catholic Lombards against the Italian Byzantines
—The Civil War between Perctarit and his Brother
—The Rebellion of the Duke of Trent

The Wars of the Byzantine Empire
—Against the Vandals
—Against the Ostrogoths
—Battles against the Spanish Kings
—Against the Persians
—Against the Muslims

The Fathers of Catholic Kingdoms on Just War
—Ferrandus the Deacon’s Seven Rules for a Commander of Soldiers
—Pope St. Gregory the Great on Just War
—St. Isidore of Seville on Just War

The Wars of Catholic Spain

Battles against the Kings of France
“[King Recarred] also waged war gloriously against hostile peoples with the aid of the faith which he had accepted. As the Franks were overrunning Gaul with about sixty thousand soldiers, he sent his general Claudius against them and triumphed with a glorious success. No greater or similar victory of the Goths in war ever took place in Spain. For many thousands of the enemy were killed and captured, and the remaining part of the army was put to flight contrary to its expectations and, with the Goths following closely behind, it was cut down up to the boundaries of its kingdom. He also frequently sent forces in opposition to the arrogant deeds of the Romans and the incursions of the Vascones, in such a way that he seems not so much to have waged wars as rather to have trained his people, as it were, in the sport of wrestling for the sake of utility.” (St. Isidore’s History of the Goths Paragraph 54)

Battles against the Byzantine Empire
“In the [year 621 A.D.], the tenth year of Heraclius’ rule, the most glorious Suinthila by divine favor took up the scepters of royal power. Under King Sisebut he had obtained the post of general, conquered some Roman forts, and defeated the Ruccones. But after he had ascended to the summit of royal dignity, he joined battle and took the remaining cities which Roman troops held in Spain, and with wondrous good fortune won increased glory for his triumph in comparison with the other kings. He [was the] first [to] acquire…absolute rule over the whole of Spain…a thing accomplished by none of the previous rulers.” (St. Isidore’s History of the Goths Paragraph 62. See also paragraphs 54, 59 and 61.)

The Civil Wars of Catholic Spain
“[King Suinthila] also led an expedition aimed against the raids of the Vascones who were attacking the province of Tarraco; these mountain-roaming peoples were so struck by dread at his coming that, as if recognizing the rights due to him, they quickly gave up their weapons, stretched out their hands in entreaty, and as suppliants bent their necks before him; they then gave hostages and founded the city of Olite with income from the Goths and their own toil, promising to obey his rule and authority and to perform whatever would be commanded them.” (St. Isidore’s History of the Goths Paragraph 63. See also Paragraphs 54, 59, 61, 62, and 91.)

Read more »

Thank you, this is period of Catholic history interests me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.