Catholics And The New Age Mitch Pacwa, S.J

Question: Is Father J. Michael Sparough, S.J. (aka Father Mike, Father Michael), ministry founder of Charis Ministries, dabbling in “New Age”? His old friend Father Pacwa is very vocal about the dangers of “New Age”, has Father Sparough spoken out against its dangers? I know several young adults in their 20s who are very fond of Father Mike Sparough. They attend as many of his speaking engagements as possible. These young adults were raised as Traditionalist Catholics and are very trusting of a Catholic priest who perfoms a one-man performance of ''The Passion and Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ According to John"
and runs retreats for those in their 20s and 30s. They tell me that he is not practicing “New Age” but they speak of him as though he is some kind of guru.

With a new found interest in studying the “New Age” movement and its dangers, I am currently reading the above referenced book by Father Mitch Pacwa: “Catholics And The New Age”, and Randy England’s “The Unicorn in the Sanctuary: The Impact of the New Age on the Catholic Church”. Both books are very informative and interesting books.

Father Mitch shares with the reader how he was drawn into the “New Age” movement and how he found his way out of it. Father Mitch still speaks and writes against the dangers of “New Age”.

In “Catholics And The New Age” Father Pacwa mentions several times the name Michael Sparough as his best friend and classmate. At the time, they were studing to be Jesuits. In recent years, Father Michael Sparough, S.J. has been a repeated invited guest on Father Mitch’s EWTN Live program. So I assume Father Michael is the same “best friend” mentioned in Father Mitch’s book.

Back in the early 1970s both Father Mitch and Father Mike were both students of the enneagram, having learned it from Bob Ochs, S.J. In fact, Father Mitch, himself, became one of the early teachers of the enneagram until he acknowledged its dangers and stopped teaching it.

In the meantime, in the 1980s, Michael Sparough, S.J., and Bobby Fisher collaborated and produced several works including “The Body at Prayer II Guided Meditations Using Gesture, Posture and Breath, With Original Music for Prayer”. The offering contains two audiocassettes with illustrated posture guide which mentions Sufis and chakras. The second tape: “Freeing the Body for Prayer” contains “Chakras: Five Prayer Exercises to Unlock Healing Energies” (Followed by Instrumental Music for Personal Prayer). There is no question in my mind and based on my readings that this is new age stuff. Do you agree and is he still teaching it?

Thank you! Aunt MA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.