Catholics ARE Christians!

Just a friendly reminder that we Catholics are Christians too! :smiley:

I remember watching EWTN LIVE one time with the two who wrote Catholicism for Dummies that maybe the reasons why some Catholics say, “I’m not a Christian, I’m Catholic!” is because of what they heard from other non-Catholics or even Catholics themselves!

For example, like some think that Catholics “worship” Mary (which is a fat lie) so when Catholics hear that, they think, well, okay, then we’ll idolters, etc. but we’re not.

We Catholics ARE Christians!!!

That’s all I have to say. :smiley:

Now I need to go home and eat some gingerbread man cookies but first stop at the dollarstore to pick up some Christmas cards! :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=Paris Blues]Just a friendly reminder that we Catholics are Christians too! :smiley:

I remember watching EWTN LIVE one time with the two who wrote Catholicism for Dummies that maybe the reasons why some Catholics say, “I’m not a Christian, I’m Catholic!” is because of what they heard from other non-Catholics or even Catholics themselves!

For example, like some think that Catholics “worship” Mary (which is a fat lie) so when Catholics hear that, they think, well, okay, then we’ll idolters, etc. but we’re not.

[/quote]

I don’t think it is because we actually believe we are idolators, and therefor are not Christian. In the US, especially, Christian has taken on a new meaning. The vast majority of people who call themselves “just Christian” are in a round about way saying that they don’t want to be identified with any particular affiliation or denomination. So, when someone says “I am a Christian” they are also saying “I am not a Catholic, or a Baptist, or a Methodist, or etc”. It is almost like short-hand, saying that in essence they are a Bible-only, me-and-Jesus-only type of Christian. So, I think, here in the US especially, when a Catholic says, “I am not a Christian, I am a Catholic” they are saying that they have an affiliation with the Church. They are saying that they are a member of Christ’s Church, and that they are not a non-denominational, non-church affiliated, Bible-only Christian.
Now, when other (non-Catholic) Christians say that we Catholics are not Christian, well, that is another story altogether.

I’ve always wondered why lots of Catholics write Catholic Christian. To me the term is redundant.

Depends what your definetion of a christian is? :confused: God Bless

Word. I’m not Catholic, but I think Catholicism is the most misunderstood ‘religion’, at least by other Christians.

[quote=desire the end]Word. I’m not Catholic, but I think Catholicism is the most misunderstood ‘religion’, at least by other Christians.
[/quote]

I agree. :thumbsup: God Bless

[quote=Paris Blues]Just a friendly reminder that we Catholics are Christians too! :smiley:

Now I need to go home and eat some gingerbread man cookies but first stop at the dollarstore to pick up some Christmas cards! :smiley: :smiley:
[/quote]

I think that most Catholics have horror stories of being on the receiving end of those who say Catholics are not Christians. I agree with Juno24 that in this day and age the term “Christian” is applied to those who do not want any affiliation with an organized religion, which is why they may join the mega-church with the clever name such as “Victory.” I was raised thinking that Catholic=Christian, that the term did not require interpretation; however, in this day and age, one must add “Christian” to Catholic.

[quote=jim1130]I think that most Catholics have horror stories of being on the receiving end of those who say Catholics are not Christians. I agree with Juno24 that in this day and age the term “Christian” is applied to those who do not want any affiliation with an organized religion, which is why they may join the mega-church with the clever name such as “Victory.” I was raised thinking that Catholic=Christian, that the term did not require interpretation; however, in this day and age, one must add “Christian” to Catholic.
[/quote]

“Christian” appears to have acquired the specific meaning of “Conservative Evangelical Protestant”, AKA “Bible-believer”: IOW, Fundamentalist Protestant.

In this sense, most Christians in the USA are not Christians - they would, in this sense, count as “nominal Christians” or (in the eyes of some Protestant Fundamentalists) as followers of the “harlot daughters of the Whore”; IOW, as those who were in Churches which were failing to be zealous enough in denouncing the “Man of Sin” upon the throne of Peter.

So plenty of Christians are vomited on in this way: Episcopalians, for instance - who are then joyfully trampled into the dust by Catholics; sometimes, “my enemy’s enemy” is “my enemy” too.

Christians in the USA do seem to enjoy hating each other - it’s hilarious (almost). Is it something in the air ? One has to laugh - that, or :banghead: - so rather than :frowning: or even :crying:, it seems better to :rotfl: ##

[quote=desire the end]Word. I’m not Catholic, but I think Catholicism is the most misunderstood ‘religion’, at least by other Christians.
[/quote]

I agree. And I’m not Catholic either.

some Catholics say, “I’m not a Christian, I’m Catholic!”

Good grief! Now I’ve heard everything. Some US Catholics actually allow these far-out fundamentalist sects to redefine Catholics as not Christian?!

Say rather, “I’m not JUST Christian, I’m Catholic!” I’ve got 100% of the Christian faith of the Apostles, with nothing missing or added!

Nice use of emoticons there, GoG… :wink:

[quote=SPOKENWORD]what your definetion of a christian is
[/quote]

A follower of Jesus Christ.

One of my Catholic friends once told me that he is Catholic and not Christian (he doesn’t seem to be very religous). I remember telling him that Catholics are Christians just like Orthodox and Protestants are Christian and from memory, I think he objected and continued to believe Catholics are not Christians?! I don’t know how common this is. Does anyone know if a lot of Catholics think they are not Christians?

[quote=coptic_believer]One of my Catholic friends once told me that he is Catholic and not Christian (he doesn’t seem to be very religous). I remember telling him that Catholics are Christians just like Orthodox and Protestants are Christian and from memory, I think he objected and continued to believe Catholics are not Christians?! I don’t know how common this is. Does anyone know if a lot of Catholics think they are not Christians?
[/quote]

This person may be an exception, but it is not the rule.

[quote=coptic_believer]One of my Catholic friends once told me that he is Catholic and not Christian (he doesn’t seem to be very religous). I remember telling him that Catholics are Christians just like Orthodox and Protestants are Christian and from memory, I think he objected and continued to believe Catholics are not Christians?! I don’t know how common this is. Does anyone know if a lot of Catholics think they are not Christians?
[/quote]

Mostly the non-practicing or those weak in Catechesis. Namely, Catholics by name only, which are alot in my generation. I have met about 5 Catholics who call themselves Christian, and other non-Catholics who know that Catholics are Christian too (which in my case, are Sikhs and Muslims). The rest seem to not know that being a Catholic is essentially one way of Christianity.

I must say, I have to correct people sometimes. It does make me sad though that other Catholics don’t seem to have a great relationship with the Church to know that they are Christians, even if only by baptism.

But I am glad to be a Christian, ALLELUIA Praise God!! Can I get an Amen? :smiley:

The Church has always been called Catholic since the very early days. It has always been Catholic with Christians in it.

So if you are Christian it is because of the Catholic Church, that which has brought Christ into the hear and now to all who proclaim His name. Because His Church is His body, and we as Catholics are part of this One Body of Christ. 1 Cor - chapter 12

Throughout the last two centuries Christ Church has been known as Catholic with Christians residing in it, within the one universal body of Christ. Since the many name changes many have become confused. Knowing these things helps to cut through the confusion for those who are seeking Christ and His body of believers. It is goof to know the History of Christ’s Church.

A Mormon told me that we are called Catholics, that the Baptist are called Baptist, and the Lutherans are called Lutherans . They then say “But we are called the Church of Jesus Christ, so we are the true church” I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. I have heard this many times here.

It has always been the Catholic Church; this is the proper name, it is important to know. It was not named the Christian Church yet many call themselves the Christian Church. It is important to know that it’s called the Catholic Church with Christians in it otherwise one can be misled.

God Bless
www.catholic-rcia.com

[/quote]

I agree with you on that. I felt the same way before coming into the Church, I was so ignorant.

If only people had an open heart to learn more about Catholicism, I think they would understand why we do this, why we do that, etc. I think it’s good too that we have apologetics out there trying to explain it.

I myself want to be an apologist! :smiley:

Go here
catholicapologetics.com/

If you have no money contact me, I will get this to you.

God bless
www.catholic-rcia.com

[quote=Ignatius]A follower of Jesus Christ.
[/quote]

How about a further explanation of your meaning. :confused: Seems satan followed Christ tempting him to sin. :eek: God Bless

[/quote]

Gee, Paris, where did you get that idea?

Actually, I remember speaking to an Orthodox lady and she really asked me if Catholics are Christian. I was floored!

Yes, Catholics are Christian!

Subrosa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.