Catholics Can't Vote for Democrats

Here's an article from the blog, "What's Wrong With the World". I posted in it under my CAF username, so you'll find me in the comments. I tend to agree with the article.

whatswrongwiththeworld.net/2012/09/why_are_catholics_still_voting.html

I don't understand how a Catholic could vote for Obama or any Other Democrat. Pro Choice Strike 1 ! Pro Gay Marriage Strike 2 ! Walks on Our Religious Liberty Strike 3 Your Out ! Need I say more ? There is a lot more to say !

I am a CATHOLIC Conservative Republican but both parties are at fault. Democrats support gay marriage, abortion, contraceptives, etc. while Republicans support the death penalty. In my opinion, Republicans support the lesser of two evils. However, both parties are at fault. We should all just start a Catholic Party. Then we'd have no more confusion and arguments about these things.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the death penalty. Dr. Feser did a great job defending the death penalty here: edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/09/justice-or-revenge.html

The Republican party has a lot of faults, and I suppose a Catholic party would be cool, but support of the death penalty is not a problem.

[quote="jfanning, post:3, topic:299394"]
I am a CATHOLIC Conservative Republican but both parties are at fault. Democrats support gay marriage, abortion, contraceptives, etc. while Republicans support the death penalty. In my opinion, Republicans support the lesser of two evils. However, both parties are at fault. We should all just start a Catholic Party. Then we'd have no more confusion and arguments about these things.

[/quote]

A Catholic party would be nice, except it probably wouldn't get votes from anyone who wasn't Catholic. Heck, some Catholics probably even wouldn't vote for a Catholic party.

[/quote]

We probably couldn't title it the Catholic Party, but the idea of a party which represents all Catholic values is a great one. At the very least, pulling the Catholic vote away from either of the two main parties would make a profound statement and impact on American politics.

[quote="Faithdancer, post:6, topic:299394"]
We probably couldn't title it the Catholic Party, but the idea of a party which represents all Catholic values is a great one. At the very least, pulling the Catholic vote away from either of the two main parties would make a profound statement and impact on American politics.

[/quote]

You all would still have your own version of Birthers:. SHOW US THE BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE !!!11

At this point, any Catholic who votes for Obama should just go ahead and leave the Catholic Church while they are at it, since a vote for Obama is a vote against the teachings of the Catholic Church. Those who are not resolutely with all of the teachings of the Magisterium, are against the Magisterium. It is time for the Church to purge itself of those who are lukewarm, those who favor comfort over sacrifice, materialism over ascetism, and worldliness over spirituality.

[quote="Faithdancer, post:8, topic:299394"]
At this point, any Catholic who votes for Obama should just go ahead and leave the Catholic Church while they are at it, since a vote for Obama is a vote against the teachings of the Catholic Church. Those who are not resolutely with all of the teachings of the Magisterium, are against the Magisterium. It is time for the Church to purge itself of those who are lukewarm, those who favor comfort over sacrifice, materialism over ascetism, and worldliness over spirituality.

[/quote]

How do you account for the fact that Jesus, while knowing his disciples were not the best followers a Messiah could have, especially in the case of Judas, I suppose, did not "purge" them? Goodness gracious! Purge the Church of all those who fall short and you no longer have a Church . . . just a Country Club.

[quote="Tsuwano, post:9, topic:299394"]
How do you account for the fact that Jesus, while knowing his disciples were not the best followers a Messiah could have, especially in the case of Judas, I suppose, did not "purge" them? Goodness gracious! Purge the Church of all those who fall short and you no longer have a Church . . . just a Country Club.

[/quote]

We all fall short, of course. But there's a huge difference between those who screw up, realize it, and repent and those who make their own rules in defiance of Church teaching and remain obstinate in their refusal to see sin where they ought to see it.

[/quote]

...Can you name me at least 1 republican that has stopped abortion? These wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, who started them? Were they needed? How many civilians were lost? How many lives are being terminated due to some States readily overusing and abusing the death penalty? Are you aware of some things that are allowed under RomneyCare?

Fully examine and scrutinize the Republican party. Open your eyes; both republicans and democrats are nothing more than two different sides on the same worthless, wooden coin. Two parties that continuously are funded and bought by big businesses and banks. You really think either care about the common populace?

You know what irritates me? The same jaded scenario over and over and over again: pick the lesser of two evils.

You don’t have a right to use the Church as a stick to beat up those who disagree with you. It’s may be seen as cowardly & bullying, and subjugating the Church to individual whim!

Governors Christie and Walker of New Jersey and Wisconsin. They defunded Planned Parenthood, the Democrat’s pet organization, one that they even had a congressional budget to withhold paychecks from the military unless Planned Parenthood was included. The Democrats have withheld women’s health services in Texas unless abortion was included. President Bush revoked Mexico City Policy.

Also, in Obama’s home state of Illinois, the woman Tanya Reaves was killed at an Illinois Planned Parenthood, one wonders if this could happen in Wisconsin or in New Jersey.

These wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, who started them? Were they needed? How many civilians were lost? How many lives are being terminated due to some States readily overusing and abusing the death penalty? Are you aware of some things that are allowed under RomneyCare?

Democrat controlled congresses approved actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Romney has received endorsements from Pro-Life groups and Paul Ryan certainly takes a courageous pro-life stand.

Fully examine and scrutinize the Republican party.

Yes, we all need to inform ourselves, Republicans have taken stands, Rand Paul’s personhood leglislation and Petition at the Pro-Life Alliance website, the notification of the link between suicide and abortion in South Dakota. Like you say, we should scrutinize the whole situation.

Open your eyes; both republicans and democrats are nothing more than two different sides on the same worthless, wooden coin.

Yes, we’ve heard this before, one party has an expansive pro-abortion platform including late term and partial birth abortions, the other has courage to be anti-abortion.

One party actively tries to increase the rate of abortions, through the health mandate, through public policy.

A black baby is 5 times more likely to be aborted than a white baby, maybe you should too be informed about the whole matter. The Democrats pet organization is planned parenthood.

Two parties that continuously are funded and bought by big businesses and banks. You really think either care about the common populace?

The grass roots movement, the Tea Party had a great effect in electing Republican candidates in 2010.

You know what irritates me? The same jaded scenario over and over and over again: pick the lesser of two evils.

You know what irritates me? Voters who try to lump the two parties together when one has a rather evil social agenda and a Presidential candidate who even voted against BAIPA, the Born Alive Infant Protection Act.

[/quote]

It's interesting to read the platform of the Constitution Party.

Oh, I did wish to add on that there are probably cases of some Pro-Life Democrats still, isn't the Pennsylvania Governor Casey thought to be somewhat Pro-Life??

So, it may be a case as I have heard Democrats and former Democrats say before, it isn't that we left the party but that the party left us.

[/quote]

Here's the words of Jesus on the matter but be careful of the plank in ones own eye. And you better be sure so that you don't accuse falsely and...you better have two or three witnesses. And, you better get your priest or deacon involved. You will be pretty busy so quit your day job too. :shrug:

15 "If your brother* sins [against you], go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
16 If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that ‘every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.’
17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church.* If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.

It was mostly a Republican-appointed Supreme Court which made abortion legal without a Congressional act during a Republican administration by a 7-2 vote. After another Republican as governor had gotten the ball rolling making abortion legal in California.

It should be noted that one of the two votes against Roe vs Wade was from a JFK appointee.

Maybe one can make a case that one shouldn't vote for any current incumbent Democrat but there is no moral code that says one can't vote for a generic Democrat.

It's interesting to read the platform of the Constitution Party.

FWIW, I will be voting for the Constitution Party candidate but party platforms are basically meaningless, certainly non-binding, and often misleading.

Unfortunately, when you have Caroline Kennedy on national TV supporting “Women Health” (aka “pro choice”) ]that will influence many, many younger women and men. I wish our Bishops would havespecifically responded to the fact that the Church disagrees with her point of view. This was a missed opportunity in my mind.

[quote="Faithdancer, post:6, topic:299394"]

[/quote]

That, is a beautiful thing to behold. And if anti-Catholics whine about it, let them whine. :)

Ronald Reagan may have come out and signed that abortion bill in California but he came out pro-life later on and made an eloquent speech in defense of life.

old.nationalreview.com/document/reagan200406101030.asp

Make no mistake, abortion-on-demand is not a right granted by the Constitution. No serious scholar, including one disposed to agree with the Court's result, has argued that the framers of the Constitution intended to create such a right. Shortly after the Roe v. Wade decision, Professor John Hart Ely, now Dean of Stanford Law School, wrote that the opinion "is not constitutional law and gives almost no sense of an obligation to try to be." Nowhere do the plain words of the Constitution even hint at a "right" so sweeping as to permit abortion up to the time the child is ready to be born. Yet that is what the Court ruled.

And this discusses the bill he signed: nationalreview.com/articles/223437/reagans-darkest-hour/paul-kengor

Reagan would later denounce abortion so strongly and so frequently from the Oval Office that Bill Clark has compiled a 45-page document of Reagan’s quotes on abortion, collected from the official Presidential Papers. Reagan even authored a small book — Abortion and the Conscience of the Nation, featuring contributions from Bill Clark, Malcolm Muggeridge, and Mother Teresa — that was published by the Human Life Foundation in 1984.

As for Ted Kennedy, I understand that towards the end of his life, he either went to the Vatican or that he spent time in Church about what he had done. I believe he was a champion even of Partial Birth Abortion.

Face it, it appears Massachusetts is a rather liberal state in most all of these things though in reality may have lower rates on some things such as Divorce I have heard.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.