Catholics & Contemporary Christian Music

Is it ok for a Catholic to listen to Contemporary Christian Music?

Sure. It’s just not suitable for Mass.

Just be careful of stuff that may be heretical or a kind of music that gets the passions worked up.

How do they conduct youth group meetings with that type of music?

What do you mean by “gets the passions worked up?”

Rock music has the beat of sexual intercourse.

Rot … some of it is in fact based on the ‘beat’ of the classical musical pieces it samples, which is hardly all ‘the beat of sexual intercourse’.

Besides, I don’t pretend to expertise in this area, but I wouldn’t imagine everyone would have exactly the same speed/rhythm when engaging in sex :confused: any more than they do when running, walking or any other physical activity.

So I doubt very much that there is A ‘beat’.

I thought nonsense like this went out around the time Elvis discovered donuts.

:amen:

Yeah…many of the songs are made by non-Catholic artists and imply OSAS or other erroneous ideas.

Also, these songs can be dangerous because they tend to lead our attention away from God. We focus more on how they make us feel, rather than truly praising God. Sacred Music is much more appropriate for worship.

Sacred music is much more appropriate for worship???

Are you saying that only “old” music can be sacred?

At some point, every song was “contemporary.”

Yes, sacred music is much more appropriate for worship.

Gregorian chant is considered by the Church as the most holy music. If you don’t believe me, see the Redemptionis Sacramentum.

It doesn’t matter that every song was once “contemporary.” Chant is no longer being produced (or it is at least produced in small numbers). It is the highest form of the human achievement in music and is therefore considered most appropriate for worship.

True. For more general listening pleasure, though, I highly recommend www.catholicjukebox.com. A wide range of musical styles, from rap and heavy-metal style to lighter contemporary stuff - and all Catholic artists! :extrahappy:

My personal favourite is the ‘Funk and Faith’ program :cool: - just had to get a plug in there :smiley:

I’ll skip the rap and heavy metal…but I’ll go for light, light rock. :smiley:

There is good and bad music, and a time and a place for many different kinds of music. Much of what is on contemporary Christian radio is kindof blah, like secular pop - some of it is good, just use your well formed conceince :slight_smile:

I think some rock music and other modern music inclines you to instead of viewing things with your reason to lose yourself in lower passions. I’m not sure whether that makes it wrong or right though. Here’s what Benedict XVI said about rock music when he was cardinal:

“Rock”, on the other hand, is the expression of elemental passions, and at rock festivals it assumes a cultic character, a form of worship, in fact, in opposition to Christian worship. People are, so to speak, released from themselves by the emotional shock of rhythm, noise, and special lighting effects. However, in the ecstasy of having all their defenses torn down, the participants sink, as it were, beneath the elemental force of the universe.

adoremus.org/1101musicliturgy.html

Well I grew up on slightly heavier stuff :slight_smile: But you’d probably do best with Catholic Music Express or Catholic PraiseCast :thumbsup:

Speaking of the King he Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash all had conversations about rock n roll and all said that their brand of Rock N Roll was based in part on the southern gospel music they grew up on. And they are not alone, Early black rock n rollers such as Little Richard, Ray Charles and Sam Cooke all said black gospel music were part of their brand of rock n roll. Early rock n roll had deep ties with gospel music and even today much of modern country music which is influenced a lot by rockabillly still has these ties with gospel music. Rock N Roll is not the drumb beat of the devil. THis is ridiculous concept and has always been. It can be used for the good and bad like anythng of this world.

It’s not the music, its the lyrics… I enjoy modern gospel and Chirstian “rock”, but I have trouble with the old rock music I use to listen to. It can be a bad influence on my spirituality. I listen to U2, but I can not listen to the Rolling Stones, no matter what song by them that I hear, “Sympathy the Devil” always comes in mind.(The Hells Angels murdered a black man while Mick Jagger sang the song at a rock concert in 1969):hmmm:
Deon I will listen to, he is a devout Catholic. Eric Clapton is ok by me, but I no longer listen to Elton John, nor will I listen to Sheryl Crow. My dos and don’ts for myself goes on and on. My wife and I disagree on this all the time.

You have to have your head in the sand if you think all rock n roll was meant to be innocent songs for teenagers and not have had some evil influence.

Jerry Lee was in revolt against his religious upbringing and he made a concsious effort to be irreligious with his style of playing, lyrics and lifestyle etc.

Music is meant to bring out your passion, no matter what style, so it is wise, in my mind, to be very discerning to what you listen to no matter what style you listen to.:twocents:

And be not conformed to this world: but be reformed in the newness of your mind, that you may prove what is the good and the acceptable and the perfect will of God.

I think it’s interesting that people speak of “passions” in connection with rock and roll.

I’m a pianist. To me, nothing is more passionate than music by Beethoven.

It’s personal preference. Rock music does nothing for me.

I have played “CCM” in Catholic masses, and everyone, including the priests, like it. Songs by Sandi Patty (who is hardly considered CCM anymore) really uplift the congregations I play for.

Frankly, I think that some people out there would get turned on by a cantor singing Gregorian chant. Does that mean that the cantor and/or the Gregorian chant should be excluded from mass? Hardly.

It’s personal preference, and we all have to make allowances.

I’ve read that the requirement for music in mass is that it must be “reverent.” That doesn’t mean “chant” only, or music from the 18th century only. All styles of music can be “reverent.” It’s just personal preference.

As many people on this thread have said, yes you can listen to Contemporary Christian Music of any type (rock, praise, etc.), although you have to make sure you are listening with a well formed concience and know the difference between Christian music and anti-Catholic music. Also as many people have said this is for personal use, not during the Mass.

Depending on what type of music you are into the following comes from a pretty good Catholic artist. There are a few samples of his music on his home page. He has appeared on “Backstage EWTN.”

gregwalton.com/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.