Catholics doctors who reject abortion told to get out of family medicine

catholicregister.org/item/19394-catholics-doctors-who-reject-abortion-told-to-get-out-of-family-medicine

Catholic doctors who won’t perform abortions or provide abortion referrals should leave family medicine, says an official of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.

“It may well be that you would have to think about whether you can practice family medicine as it is defined in Canada and in most of the Western countries,” said Dr. Marc Gabel, chair of the college’s policy working group reviewing “Professional Obligations and Human Rights.”

So much for Charter rights of Freedom of Religion.

This is so terrible. I still do not understand how killing a child and removing it out of the mother is family medicine .

“It may well be that you would have to think about whether you can practice family medicine as it is defined in Canada and in most of the Western countries,” said Dr. Marc Gabel, chair of the college’s policy working group reviewing “Professional Obligations and Human Rights.”

Well that’s an oxymoron, if ever I heard one!

Unbelievable, that the umbrella of ‘family medicine’ includes abortion. :frowning:

Will we ever see an end to abortion?

:frowning:

Surely the practice of family medicine is much more than performing abortions. What a strange ruling this is.

I wonder if Fr. Tom Rosica and his Canadian television station will be talking about this, perhaps referring to this person as a “taliban” secularist like he thinks that LifeSiteNews (a great website in Canada) is “taliban catholicism”.

Just so we’re clear, these “human rights tribunals” and the “human rights codes” they interpret are kangaroo courts and not actual courts, they’re rather an extra-legal tool secularists use to bully people that don’t accept their agenda via fines.

This is just the beginning, good is bad and bad is good, the future is bleaker than ever.

I remember when they asked the public for their opinion. The poll showed that most people supported doctors being allowed to refuse to perform procedures that violated their conscience. It’s sad that they don’t seem to care what the majority of respondents voted. It’s even more sad that they have such disregard for the life of an unborn child. :crossrc:Praying for their conversions. Amen.

The pressure is quickly mounting to euthanize weak, sick and elderly. The cost of caring for them won’t be insured. Assisted suicide will be the preferred, recommended and affordable treatment.

“Catholic doctors who won’t perform abortions or provide abortion referrals should leave family medicine, says an official of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.”

"Dr. Marc Gabel, chair of the college’s policy working group reviewing “Professional Obligations and Human Rights.”

Please note that this so-called advocate of “Professional Obligations and Human Rights” has only expressed an opinion, and really stepped in a slippery pile on this one.

The challenge to this remains with the doctors themselves, whether Catholic or not. By attacking doctors who won’t perform abortions or provide abortion referrals Dr. Gabel has launched a theological attack on both medical professionals and the Church. However,
Ontario is not Nazi Germany where such persecutions were acceptable.

To Dr. Gabel I would suggest finding another “Chair” to occupy, and a new pair of shoes that do not smell bad.

:eek:

Doctors performing abortions is so contrary to why many become doctors. So much for the Hippocratic Oath.

DGB

How correct. It is sad the value human life is being reduced like this.

So much? This is an opinion, the expression of which itself is also protected. This opinion has absolutely no legal or coercive weight. In a free society, we are free to reject such opinions, and to loudly express that rejection.

I hope and pray!

So now a prerequisite for being a doctor is the person has to be willing to kill a child in the mother’s womb?

Unfortunately,these doctor associations are often politically motivated and self serving.
They often have strong opinions,express them very vocally and believe they are always right/have their own agendas instead of developing qualities such as humility,flexibility,kindness,gentleness etc.
It is rooted in Paternalism and perhaps-I don’t know if I should say it-arrogance.
In Australia,religious doctors already have to provide a referral to another doctor who does not object to Abortion.

Everyone’s entitled to opinions,some express it aggressively though,one way to counter these organisations is for Christian doctors to form their own organisations and promote their own “agenda” Eg : promote treating patients with respect and dignity,promote Physicans rights of conscience regarding abortions etc…
cmdfa.org.au/Posts/conscientious-objection-a-respected-right-1

The headline of that news story is totally misleading!
And so is the lede!

If you read the article, no one is telling these doctors “to get out of family medicine”.
The whole point of the policy paper–which is still only in draft version–is to try and balance both the needs of the patient and the beliefs of doctor…and if a patient asks a doctor for for something she is morally against–such as birth control, etc–she gives a referral to another doctor.
This allows the doctor to not do anything they are against, but it doesn’t leave the patient out on a limb, needing help.

Here is a more balanced version:
thestar.com/news/gta/2014/12/11/antiabortion_doctors_must_refer_patients_to_another_physician_watchdog_says.html

Different situation but it slightly reminds me what is being expected of Little Sisters of the Poor or Priests for Life, in that they would be required to sign off a form so that employees could get contraception elsewhere. Obviously these two groups have a problem with that and there may be Catholic doctors who have a problem in providing a referral too.

The proposed policy reads:

"Where physicians are unwilling to provide certain elements of care due to their moral or religious beliefs, an effective referral to another health care provider must be provided to the patient. An effective referral means a referral made in good faith to a non-objecting, available and accessible physician or other health-care provider. The referral must be made in a timely manner to reduce the risk of adverse clinical outcomes. Physicians must not impede access to care for existing patients, or those seeking to become patients.”

examiner.com/article/ontario-catholic-doctors-need-not-apply

I imagine if I was a family doctor it is not something I would want to partake in.

Instead of doctors referring patients, in the places where the doctors work it should be made clear what they are not willing to prescribe and then patients can choose to see the particular doctor or doctors or not.

As long as the patient is aware of the doctor’s views, I don’t see any problem with a physician not performing certain procedures on religious grounds. Indeed, a Catholic patient might prefer a physician with such a POV.

As with all professions and walks of life, diversity is a good thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.