Catholics for Choice ?!? I have a really hard time with this

I am new to the forums here and have been, over the past few weeks, reading different posts and bits of debates – all quite good.

Then today I was reading a post that hit me as it mentioned Catholics for Choice. Doing a web search I found them and quickly located their campaign regarding Title X and the push for continued federal funding of planned parenthood. That place is so grotesquely mis advertised in the world as it appears on the surface as the beacon for family and in truth is only a money hungry human holocaust machine.

How is it possible that there are not massive legal proceedings against an organization like Catholics for Choice? Wow – I am just blown away that this organization exists, and that it somehow is funded. Would be curious where the money is really coming from for them? This is so completly against the teachings of the Church.

Side note – everyone should make sure to contact their local official regarding the current budget and the easy decision to stop federal funding of Planned Parenthood.

usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

Catholics for Choice is the logical equivalent of Nazi’s for Jews. Like oil and water, they don’t mix. One cannot be pro-Choice and Catholic. They’re mutually exclusive.

I have to agree that it is any oxymoron. I try praying for them and their complete conversion so that they will recognize the gift of life that God has given. All that I can do beyond that is to make sure that my kids are informed of what the “choice” that they are talking about is. Finish the sentence, pro-choice means pro-abortion, ie baby killling in the womb of the mother. Sorry, have to get off this discussion before I lose it! :frowning:

BTW, contacted my senators today to let them know where I stand and contacted my congressman and told him to stand strong on not funding PP since they already run at a profit and don’t need our tax dollars!

The organization, originally known as Catholics for a Free Choice, CFFC, is of course, not Catholic. I doubt that they make their donors list public, but I believe that they mainly funded by left-wing foundations. It is primarily a lobbying group for pro-choice legislation.

I completely agree that they aren’t acting like Catholics, but what is it that you feel they have done to deserve legal proceedings being taken against them?

Catholics for Choice are not Catholic, at least not in any meaningful sense. In fact, aren’t such people excommunicated latae sententiae? If they take the Eucharist, they are only committing another grievous sin.

[BIBLEDRB]1 Cor 11:29[/BIBLEDRB]

They are still considered Catholic by the Church even if excommunicated (though I think you actually have to actively participate or assist in an abortion to be excommunicated). They are certainly not acting as Catholics should, but as far as the Church is concerned someone who is baptized Catholic is counted as a Catholic until the day they die so it isn’t really our place to say otherwise.

Well, they disgust me, but they aren’t breaking any (civil) laws. There’s no trademark on the word “catholic.” You could have an organization called “Catholics for murdering innocent babies” - oh, wait, we already do.

Who would bring the case to court? What would you expect/want a court of law to do with an issue that is an internal matter? The Catholic Church knows that they have excommunicated themselves.
The idea makes as much sense as it would to take sedevacantists to court for using the name Catholic.
Ignore them and realize most intelligent people know they are using the name for shock value. No one believes that the Catholic Church endorses their agenda.

The reason for my statement on litigation is thus:

We say “any knowledgeable Catholic would know better” of course this is true, however as a cradle Catholic, there was much (and remains much) that I do not know about the faith. It is something that I continue to learn, but only because it is a fire that has been kindled from within and I have actively sought after knowledge.

However for many, it is things exactly like this that become road fodder for the drive by media and truly test the faith of many that are teetering with their faith. Unfortunately, I believe that there are far too many that are teetering in the faith. This is why it is important to discuss pop culture items like The Golden Compass, The Da Vinci Code, Misquoting Jesus, etc – as these continue to be daily attacks on the faith.
It is slanderous that a group, claiming to be founded and deep in the Catholic faith would propose to be supporters of such a thing.

A friend of mine works for ADF - Alliance Defense Fund, and I am continually surprised by the attacks on the faith with in this country. For ADF – they take the battles to court.

It is just a reaction to seeing it – and I am sure that there are many that have used them as a means to attack and defile the Church.

That’s not a reason for litigation, and you still need the Church to do this, you can’t represent the Church on this matter.

No worries there - no plans to move forward on that myself.

I have to say, I understand your frustration about the issue.
Sometimes it’s out of frustration we can end up finding another way to combat these things after we think it through more.
If you like to write, maybe you should appeal to CFC in letter format. Not to expect a reply, or a change of heart. But, perhaps if your letter is written well someone in that camp may take the time to read it. Someone there may see your point of view and the damage it is causing others along with yourself. Someone may decide to listen to what you have to say. Maybe not the CFC as a whole. They may not agree, but they may have empathy and basic human kindness and understand that what they represent (misrepresent) is causing others anguish.
That is more effective than litigation (that we agree won’t happen in this case) and should not be underestimated.

=MurphyPhx;7739495]I am new to the forums here and have been, over the past few weeks, reading different posts and bits of debates – all quite good.

Then today I was reading a post that hit me as it mentioned Catholics for Choice. Doing a web search I found them and quickly located their campaign regarding Title X and the push for continued federal funding of planned parenthood. That place is so grotesquely mis advertised in the world as it appears on the surface as the beacon for family and in truth is only a money hungry human holocaust machine.

How is it possible that there are not massive legal proceedings against an organization like Catholics for Choice? Wow – I am just blown away that this organization exists, and that it somehow is funded. Would be curious where the money is really coming from for them? This is so completly against the teachings of the Church.

Side note – everyone should make sure to contact their local official regarding the current budget and the easy decision to stop federal funding of Planned Parenthood.

usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

FIRST WELCOME TO THE FORUM…

NEXT WELCOME TO LIFE IN THE US OF A.

Fallen away Catholics are according to a PEW report now the second largest “religious group” in the country.

Sadly NOT everyone who chooses to call themselves “catholic” also choose to live as one.

The revolutation of the late 60’s is still very powerful these day’s. And lamentably there are bishops, priest and a great many religious who think they know more and or know better than our Pope and the Magisterium. The Pendelum is slowly but steadly moving back to humble Obedience.

Let us keep praying for a world that KNOWS and ACCEPTS Morally sound positions!

God Bless and don’t despair! God’s here and God’s in CHARGE:)

Pat

"The US Conference of Catholic Bishops has made the statement that “[CFC] is not a Catholic organization, does not speak for the Catholic Church, and in fact promotes positions contrary to the teaching of the Church as articulated by the Holy See and the NCCB.”[24] The organization Priests for Life states that CFC’s theological arguments directly contradict the Catholic Church’s teaching on abortion and contraception.[25]"en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholics_for_Choice

I’m not sure about their current funding; in the past CFFC has received money from the Playboy Foundation and Planned Parenthood.

Anybody can use the word “Catholic” in a title. It doesn’t mean anything.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.