Catholics is Jesus's humanity to be worshipped?

I believe yes we should for when Jesus came down from heaven and became Man, He is and always was the Son of the Father. In His humanity He stood in the temple and said 'Today within your hearing the Scriptures are fulfilled revealing that He was the Messiah. To me there is no doubt that we should worship Jesus!s humanity and His divinity for as we say to the Father’i Offer You the Body and Blood Soul and Divinity of Your dearly Beloved Son our Lord Jesus Christ. God Bless.

The marriage of the Lamb brings about the union of heaven and earth in hypostasis. Humanity and divinity. In Christ, the Lord’s prayer is answered. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven

Great question.

There are different answers suggested here, I will offer mine.

Jesus has two natures, but one person. One notes that in communion one receives Jesus Christ, body and blood, soul and divinity.

So one worships/adores (latria) Jesus as true God and true man, human and divine, since he is one person.

In mainstream Christianity there is a concept called the Trinity; this idea is hard to define but basically it means that the Father, The Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit are all 100% God. So when we worship Jesus, we worship his deity as well for they are one and the same.

In the Nicene Creed, which is recited at every Catholic Mass, it is written “For us men and for our salvation, he came down from heaven: He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. By the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.”

We celebrate his human body and his human blood, because Jesus commanded that we eat and drink of it because he gave these willingly for the forgiveness of our sins.

There are 3 humans who have been made perfect in the image of God - Adam, Eve, and Jesus. We are called upon not to reject our humanity but rather grow in holiness and strive to achieve holiness as Christ was, is, and always shall be in His Sacred Flesh. This is not something that can simply can be accomplished in this life in this world, but rather we hope to do so now and forever and unto the ages of ages with the Theotokos and all the saints in heaven l.

ABSOLUTELY!

WHY?

Because Jesus was and IS TRULY God and Truly “man” [human]

ONLY Jesus has a Perfect human NATURE & always His Perfect Divine Nature; The two are insuperable…

Jesus was and remains TRULY GOD in both Natures.

It is Jesus who is “Really, Truly and Substantially” .PRESENT in Person, in Catholic Holy Communiomn

There is NO greater reason to be a Catholic!

No. That is Nestorianism. His Divinity and His Humanity were United to one another without mixing, without confusion,and without alteration.

No, Nestorianism (according to the classical understanding) teaches that Christ is two different persons, whereas the Monophysites taught that Jesus was one nature because his human nature was absorbed into his divine nature. Orthodox Christianity teaches that Christ has two natures united by one person.

And from the sixth Council (Constantinople) it was decreed that certainly there are two wills in Christ.

Yes, there are. I never denied that… What are you even on about?

Two excellent and reliable sources explaining the theology underlying the worship of the Humanity of Christ: Ott, Ludwig. Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma TAN Publishers pp. 156 - 160. Adam, Karl. The Christ of Faith. Chapter XVII “The Adoration Due to Christ’s Humanity” Pantheon Books pp. 239 - 243.

Completing the equation.

Yes.

Are Catholics supposed to worship Jesus’s humanity?
Like His body?

Catholics worship the Person of Jesus Christ. We do not say, “Oh, I’m going to worship His hand today. Or I’m going to worship His feet tomorrow.” We worship Jesus, body, blood, soul and divinity.

So when you worship Jesus should you just worship His Deity?
Thanks

Jesus Christ is God and man. We worship Jesus as man because God became man. We do not separate the divinity from the humanity. Jesus, God and man is one person.

Your question is like if I would ask you, “do you love your mom’s flesh only or do you also love her spirit?” Your mom is one person and you love all of her, I hope.

You should admire his humanity b/c he had the same fears as we all do. And, he willingly died on the cross for us. He feared doing that. Remember the Garden in Gethsemane? He was scared and probably depressed (agony).

This is a man who worked as a tradesman for 15+ years. It is believed he went to a nearby town with Joseph to work on a large public project of the Romans. He got paid wages.

He was like us.

It is the Glorified Jesus in communion (post resurrection). His glorified body.

We too, will be glorified like him and in him and through him and with him. Only because of the fact that he did what he did and the fact of who he is/was, is that possible.

He is the only begotten son of God, and he existed before time ever existed (I know I’m right on this). Just not in human form (I think I’m right on this).

I believe when we read about God speaking to Moses, it was actually Jesus (but not yet born of the Virgin).

Hi Ben, Thanks for the POST

Yes indeed it is Christ Resurrected body; BUT it is still the REAL Jesus, Glorified, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity that we receive in Catholic Holy Communion.

John.1 Verses 1 to 3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God; all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
So you are also correct on your second point

The God and Moses conversation was NOT a literal “face” to “face” as we understand the term today. John 4:23-24 teaches us the GOD “is SPIRIT”

FROM HAYDOCk’S Bible commentary: Exodus 33:11 “face to face”

Ver. 11. Face to face. That is, in a most familiar manner. Though, as we learn from this very chapter, Moses could not see the face of the Lord. (Challoner) — The angel assumed a human form, (Menochius) which Moses knew could not fully display the majesty of God; and hence he begs to see his face, or his glory, (ver. 13, 18,) which God declares is impossible for any mortal to do, ver. 20. (Haydock) — He addresses him, however, with unusual condescension, and speaks to him without any ambiguity, “without any medium,” as the Arabic expresses it. Other prophets were instructed by visions, and were filled with terror, Daniel x. 8. — Young man, though 50 years old, and the general who defeated the Amalecites, chap. xvii. 13. Puer means a servant also, in which capacity Josue waited on Moses, and was alone allowed to be present with him in the tabernacle. He did not sleep there, (Calmet) but guarded it from all profanation. Some say he was still called young, because he was unmarried; in which sense the Chaldean styles him hullema, which corresponds with the Hebrew halma, a virgin. (Serarius) (Tirinus)

THANKS for asking my friend,

Pray Much
Patrick

It’s like asking - is Mary rightly called “the Mother of God”?

This question might seem esoteric, but it is at the heart of Christianity with the Trinity.
The Son of God, second person of the Trinity, has taken on full humanity.
And we are made in the image of God. And so if the God we worship has condescended to be one with us, if we desire to worship God we must reverence one another (appropriately of course).
We must be one with each other as Christ is one with us, sacrificing ourselves for the benefit of others, sharing burdens, like Christ did to the fullest extent.
Christianity is wholly unique in this way.

You cannot separate Jesus’ humanity from his divinity. Since the moment of the Incarnation when God became man, the Son of God has existed in a hypostatic union in the Person of Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ of God.

-CCC 464, 466, 468, 469
"The unique and altogether singular event of the Incarnation of the Son of God does not mean that Jesus Christ is part God and part man, nor does it imply that he is the result of a confused mixture of the divine and the human. He became truly man while remaining truly God. Jesus Christ is true God and true man.

During the first centuries, the Church had to defend and clarify this truth of faith against the heresies that falsified it.

The Nestorian heresy regarded Christ as a human person joined to the divine person of God’s Son. Opposing this heresy, St. Cyril of Alexandria and the third ecumenical council, at Ephesus in 431, confessed "that the Word, uniting to himself in his person the flesh animated by a rational soul, became man."89 Christ’s humanity has no other subject than the divine person of the Son of God, who assumed it and made it his own, from his conception. For this reason the Council of Ephesus proclaimed in 431 that Mary truly became the Mother of God by the human conception of the Son of God in her womb: "Mother of God, not that the nature of the Word or his divinity received the beginning of its existence from the holy Virgin, but that, since the holy body, animated by a rational soul, which the Word of God united to himself according to the hypostasis, was born from her, the Word is said to be born according to the flesh."90

68 After the Council of Chalcedon, some made of Christ’s human nature a kind of personal subject. Against them, the fifth ecumenical council, at Constantinople in 553, confessed that "there is but one hypostasis [or person], which is our Lord Jesus Christ, one of the Trinity."93 Thus everything in Christ’s human nature is to be attributed to his divine person as its proper subject, not only his miracles but also his sufferings and even his death: "He who was crucified in the flesh, our Lord Jesus Christ, is true God, Lord of glory, and one of the Holy Trinity."94

469 The Church thus confesses that Jesus is inseparably true God and true man. He is truly the Son of God who, without ceasing to be God and Lord, became a man and our brother:

“What he was, he remained and what he was not, he assumed”, sings the Roman Liturgy.95 And the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom proclaims and sings: "O only-begotten Son and Word of God, immortal being, you who deigned for our salvation to become incarnate of the holy Mother of God and ever-virgin Mary, you who without change became man and were crucified, O Christ our God, you who by your death have crushed death, you who are one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit, save us!"96

I hope this cleared things up for you.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.