Catholics naming their Children "Jewish Names"

How does the feel about naming their child a typically Jewish name, such as Ezra?

I know that it's biblical but it often makes me think of young Jewish boys ;)

Thoughts?

If you check a list of Catholic Saints, you will find that most so-called "Jewish" first names are on it. Why? Because most of the original Christians were born Jews, and because many of these early Christians were martyred, they became saints.

But men like Ezra have not been canonized.

Would it be inappropriate to name your Catholic baby a name that is often given to young Jewish children?

[quote="redredsox, post:1, topic:229452"]
How does the feel about naming their child a typically Jewish name, such as Ezra?

Thoughts?

[/quote]

BWAHAHAHAH!
When I saw the thread I thought I'd go in and share that I wanted to name my kid "Ezra".
I have an ex-coworker who just named his kid Zaphenath. Not really Jewish but it was Joseph's (son of Jacob) Egyptian name (Zaphenath-paneah).

So my opinion on it is that its fine. Its biblical. But I would have certainly given my kid a second name from a Catholic saint.

[quote="redredsox, post:3, topic:229452"]
But men like Ezra have not been canonized.

Would it be inappropriate to name your Catholic baby a name that is often given to young Jewish children?

[/quote]

In the East (Catholic and Orthodox) there is a high regard for Biblical figures in the Old Testament and many of them are regarded as Saints. Icons are also made of them. We believe they are in heaven because Jesus lead them to heaven after His death and before His resurrection.

Many Catholic saints were never canonized.

As long as it is Rachel and not Delilah, or Isaac instead of Onan, or David instead of Absalom, it is OK. You wouldn't want to pick a Biblical name out of a hat, but the patriarchs and prophets are considered saints and make fine namesakes. I don't think there is a St. Grace, either. It is still a fine Catholic name.

Thoughts?

[/quote]

Thinking of Jewish boys is no problem for me. Jesus was a Jew and so is his mother.
I always think that if God blesses me with a boy I would like to call him Benjamin.. Thats a totally Jewish name... I also like the names Shimon and Jusef...
I love Jewish names..

I have no authority in this question, but I don't have a problem with it. At least it's not like one of my college friends did--gave his daughter the "Vulcan" name T'Pau.

DaveBj

I am trying to imagine any scenario in which this would be of concern to anyone but coming up blank. help me out, why would it be a problem?

I like many Jewish names of Boys and Girls as I do Catholic Christian names.

Here's an interesting site: babynology.com/jewish_babynames.html

giving a history outline of the meaning and history behind the boy or girl's name.

It's just me but I like a solid masculine or feminine name whether your picking a name for a child if a boy or girl

Some of my favorites for boys are Jerome, Jacob or Joshua, although its likely a boy named Joshua will likely be nick named Josh.

I always like to think the name of the person will take on some biblical significance giving resemblance of a persons life and soul devoted to God.

I've tried hard to live my life befitting the significance of name my parents gave me namely
Christopher-meaning Christ-bearer when reflecting on the story of Saint Christopher.

And if you only know how difficult it is to do that in my failings :blush:

Peace
Chris

Well personally, I have a very Jewish last name (FIL converted to Catholicism as a teenager), and my boys are Jacob and Joshua (with middle names of Apostles)... and if we ever have another boy he'll be Jonah.
It would be rather cool for one of them to become a priest... Fr. Jacob/Joshua Lastname would be rather humorous... :D

I obviously don't have a problem with it... :)

I meant to also add that FIL had a cousin with another VERY Jewish last name... He also converted to Catholicism...
He's Deacon Levinson. :p

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:5, topic:229452"]
In the East (Catholic and Orthodox) there is a high regard for Biblical figures in the Old Testament and many of them are regarded as Saints. Icons are also made of them. We believe they are in heaven because Jesus lead them to heaven after His death and before His resurrection.

Many Catholic saints were never canonized.

[/quote]

Same is generally true of the west, whether a particular OT figure is canonized or not. Moses would be considered a Saint for instance, certainly the prophets etc. Unfortunetly in the West over time a false disconnect between Christianity and Jewdizm developed over time certainly among the lay believer however.

I read one time ( I cannot remember where) that Christains now have more Jewish names than Jewish people.

If I am ever blessed with another child, a boy, his name would be Joshua Job.

We loved two Jewish names in particular (one male, one female) for our future children, but since we selected them 5 years ago they have become wildly popular. If a Jewish name was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me. :shrug:

St. Isadore's name means something like "follower of Isis, Egyptian sun god." St. Martin's name means "devotee of Mars, the Roman god of war." Somehow, despite these "heathen" names, they managed to live saintly lives.

So long as the name isn't directly mocking God (such as Delilah, Damien, or Lucifer), I think all the focus on what names are/aren't appropriate for a baby is small potatoes.

St. Damien!!! :thumbsup:
americancatholic.org/features/saints/saint.aspx?id=1379

If I were to marry rather than enter religious life and were to be blessed with children, I would like to give them names that involve distinctly Catholic components yet also have a Near Eastern (i.e. Arabic or Persian) flavor because of my particular background. Some examples would be Jasmine Michelangelique and Pierdamian Abdulmasih (after St. Peter Damian, Abdulmasih means "servant of the Messiah").

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:16, topic:229452"]
St. Damien!!!!! :thumbsup:
americancatholic.org/features/saints/saint.aspx?id=1379

[/quote]

WOOPS! :blush:

[quote="puzzleannie, post:9, topic:229452"]
I am trying to imagine any scenario in which this would be of concern to anyone but coming up blank. help me out, why would it be a problem?

[/quote]

LOL I was just thinking the exact same thing, who cares what people call their own children?

Thoughts?

[/quote]

You are aware that Jesus Christ was jewish?:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.