Catholics naming their Children "Jewish Names"

[quote="crazzeto, post:13, topic:229452"]
Same is generally true of the west, whether a particular OT figure is canonized or not. Moses would be considered a Saint for instance, certainly the prophets etc. Unfortunetly in the West over time a false disconnect between Christianity and Jewdizm developed over time certainly among the lay believer however.

[/quote]

I guess.

Also, Ezra is a heroic figure in the Bible, he definitely deserves heaven and I would expect he was thsoe in Limbo who was freed by Jesus before the Resurrection.

We’ve been giving Jewish names to girls for centuries and nobody ever thinks twice about it. Think of all the Marys (Miriams), Marthas, Sarahs, Deborahs, Susannahs, Esthers, Ruths, Hannahs, Annas, etc.

Though I haven’t run across a Bathsheba yet.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:22, topic:229452"]
We've been giving Jewish names to girls for centuries and nobody ever thinks twice about it. Think of all the Marys (Miriams), Marthas, Sarahs, Deborahs, Susannahs, Esthers, Ruths, Hannahs, Annas, etc.

Though I haven't run across a Bathsheba yet.

[/quote]

Boys too, David, Joshua, Jacob, Benjamin, etc. Those are all Jewish names. :shrug:

There was Bathsheba Everdene in Thomas Hardy's "Far from the Madding Crowd (fictional, I know!). Hardy also had a character called Cain Ball - his parents had mistakenly thought that Cain was the innocent brother, and by the time they learned that was Abel, it was too late and the vicar wouldn't re-christen him. They tried to soften it by calling him Cainy.

I think naming one's child after a person from the Old Testament is admirable, providing one takes into account the connotations the name might have.

The only Ezra I can think of is Ezra Pound and he was definitely not Jewish!

[quote="ora_pro_nobis, post:24, topic:229452"]
There was Bathsheba Everdene in Thomas Hardy's "Far from the Madding Crowd (fictional, I know!). Hardy also had a character called Cain Ball - his parents had mistakenly thought that Cain was the innocent brother, and by the time they learned that was Abel, it was too late and the vicar wouldn't re-christen him. They tried to soften it by calling him Cainy.

I think naming one's child after a person from the Old Testament is admirable, providing one takes into account the connotations the name might have.

The only Ezra I can think of is Ezra Pound and he was definitely not Jewish!

[/quote]

Bathsheba Everdene--I wonder how long it took Hardy to come up with that!

While I think Biblical names are great, particularly because the righteous Biblical characters are now in heaven, and therefore ARE saints (non-canonized), there are also many obscure Christian saints with names that otherwise would be considered Jewish/Biblical. For example, the Patron Saint Index lists five saints named "Moses," none of them being the one from the Exodus. Check out the alphabetical list here: saints.sqpn.com/alphabetical-list/

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:25, topic:229452"]
Bathsheba Everdene--I wonder how long it took Hardy to come up with that!

[/quote]

Especially since Thomas Hardy was an atheist.

[quote="Augusta_Sans, post:15, topic:229452"]
So long as the name isn't directly mocking God (such as Delilah, Damien, or Lucifer), I think all the focus on what names are/aren't appropriate for a baby is small potatoes.

[/quote]

How is Damien mocking God? Because it was the name of the main character in a long forgotten movie about the anti-Christ in the 1970s and its sparsely-watched 1990s remake??

Quick, call Rome. The Roman Canon has the name of a fictional anti-Christ character in it. It needs to be purged of it. What were they thinking of? I guess someone in Rome must have liked the movie.

Who could be responsible for this...Could it be....I don't know....SATAN!

In union with the whole Church we honor Mary, the ever-virgin mother of Jesus Christ our Lord and God. We honor Joseph, her husband, the apostles and martyrs Peter and Paul, Andrew, James, John, Thomas, James, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Simon and Jude; we honor Linus, Cletus, Clement, Sixtus, Cornelius, Cyprian, Lawrence, Chrysogonus, John and Paul, Cosmas and Damian and all the saints. May their merits and prayers grant us your constant help and protection.
(Through Christ our Lord. Amen.) The Roman Canon (aka Eucharistic Prayer I), paragraph 4.

closed #29
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.