Catholics on immigration order: more reform needed [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Immigration_rally_Obama_immigration_reform_Catholic_News_Agency_Credit_Chip_Somodevilla_Getty_Images_112114_CNA.jpgWashington D.C., Nov 21, 2014 / 03:35 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- President Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration was met with both praise and concern from Catholic groups, who emphasized that more must be done to find long-term solutions for a broken immigration system.

“I am happy that some temporary relief is being offered to help parents and children who right now are living in daily fear that their families will be broken up by arrests and deportations,” said Archbishop Jose H. Gomez of Los Angeles, the highest-ranking Hispanic bishop in the U.S.

However, he cautioned, “the relief is not permanent and the problems are still not fixed.”

On Thursday night, President Obama announced that he would stay the deportation of certain undocumented immigrant parents for up to three years, allowing them to work legally. Eligibility requirements include having lived in the U.S. for at least five years, having children who are U.S. citizens or legal residents, passing a criminal background check and agreeing to pay taxes.

Roughly 4 million people will likely qualify for this measure, while thousands of others will benefit from other changes. The president extended benefits of temporary residence to more children of undocumented immigrants, expanding the eligibility for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and extending their temporary stay from two to three years.

In addition, the president said he would increase border security resources and deport those who had illegally crossed the border recently. He said he would focus government enforcement resources on criminals and those who threaten security.

Archbishop Gomez welcomed the actions as pro-family but emphasized that much more must be done for immigrant families.

Similarly, leaders of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops welcomed the deferred deportations while stressing the need for “a more humane view of immigrants and a legal process that respects each person’s dignity, protects human rights, and upholds the rule of law.”

“They [the bishops] welcome the executive action in the sense that it would ease some of the separation of families here,” Ashley Feasley, the bishops’ Migration & Refugee Services immigration policy advisor told CNA. She added that “the bishops are still advocating for working with Congress for a more permanent solution.”

In a statement responding to the president’s announcement, Archbishop Gomez insisted that “the President’s actions today are no substitute for the comprehensive immigration reform our nation needs.”

“Too many families are being torn apart by deportations, uncertainty about their status, and delays in our visa process that can take years, even decades. Too many men and women who are immigrants are being exploited in the workplace and forced to live in society’s shadows,” he stated.

The announcement of the executive order was met with criticism from members of the Republican Party, who said that it was an overstep of presidential authority that would encourage continued illegal immigration, with negative social consequences.

CatholicVote.org, a group that works to promote Catholic principles in public life, voiced wariness about the precedent that could be set by the executive order.

“We support immigration reform. But strongly oppose President Obama’s executive action announced last night,” the group said in an email to its members.

It warned that if a president “may selectively enforce laws based on his or her political preferences (even policies we agree with) – our nation is in trouble.”

Acknowledging the obligation for Catholics to respect the human dignity of each person, Catholic Vote said that the border situation illustrates a need for real reform.

“Children are being led by criminals across the border, families are being torn apart, and gang and drug violence is rampant. It’s disgusting and it’s unsustainable,” the group said, arguing that if the GOP attempts to stall the executive order through a funding decision, they should also offer “reform proposals of their own.”

The Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc., also pushed for a long-term solution to keep families together.

“The administration’s decision will improve the lives of millions of immigrants who are already here, building communities and supporting families,” said executive director Jeanne M. Atkinson.

“However, administrative relief is no substitute for legislative reform. We need a permanent fix to the immigration system that can only be achieved through bipartisan Congressional action.”

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/mZ5OoVKjYbg

Full article…

In light of what the Holy Father has had to say about this issue, and my own personal feelings, I am happy that so many families now have a chance to live in peace. I do object however to the constant flow of executive unilateral actions from the executive branch. Mid term political appointments, flagrant abuse of Senate rules and parliamentary procedures and more.

As the old axiom goes, the ends does not justify the means. While I am willing to look the other way in this case, I am not in others. Very disappointing misuse of power. These are human beings however, and I feel happy for them. Too bad the unborn can’t receive the same consideration.

I agree wholeheartedly that the massive problem of illegals living secretly without citizen rights must be at the heart of any solution. I am happy that many will no longer live in the shadows. However what does this do for the employment hopes of the legally there?
Apart from the fact that this executive order is only a shadow solution, the real question is in its Constitutional legitimacy. No doubt the Supreme Court will find standing in some application, given the serious issue involved. However, it does raise questions in the mind of an outsider such as myself, as to the structure of the American system of Government. When one man can ignore the democratic will of Congress, the spectre of Caesar comes readily to mind in his fight against the Republic. The fact that there is no safety valve in the event of an implacable disagreement between the two Houses, thus resulting , as we have seen, in the paralyze of government, is also of concern.
I have no right to even offer an opinion as I am not a citizen. However, given the growing structural concerns being raised about Obamacare, one does wonder what real legacy this President will leave apart from disillusion and conflict.

It does not matter that you are not a US citizen. Your perspective is equally valuable.

People coming here don’t only take jobs - they also create jobs, not so much personally although some do, but simply by the increased demand for goods and services.

You always have a right to an opinion, no matter who you are but I tend to disagree with you about the “democratic will of Congress being ignored”. Then again, perhaps I should agree with you:*** the democratic will of the Senate was ignored*** by the House, in that the House was not allowed by it’s leader to express its democratic will. When one hand is bound and prevented from clapping, the bandleader is democratically allowed to strike up his own beat.

Cubans seeking to flee the communist-run island are heading in increasing numbers by sea to Central America and then making a long journey overland to reach the United States.

One group of 32 Cuban migrants drifted for three weeks without food or water this summer after their engine failed. Only 15 were found alive when they were rescued by Mexican fishermen.

U.S. officials say more than 16,000 Cubans arrived without visas at the border with Mexico in the past year, the highest number in a decade.

Cuban officials have not commented on the illegal boat departures, but blame the U.S. policy for encouraging migrants to risk their lives.

ca.news.yahoo.com/cuban-migrants-head-off-caymans-bound-honduras-233143938.html

From the article in the original post:

“Children are being led by criminals across the border, families are being torn apart, and gang and drug violence is rampant. It’s disgusting and it’s unsustainable,” the group said, arguing that if the GOP attempts to stall the executive order through a funding decision, they should also offer “reform proposals of their own.”

catholicnewsagency.com/news/catholics-on-immigration-order-more-reform-needed-46161/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+catholicnewsagency%2Fdailynews+%28CNA+Daily+News%29&utm_term=daily+news

Let’s not forget what happens when immigration laws are not enforced, it encourages more illegal immigration. I’d question if this is really a humanitarian cause. Deep pockets could be behind this executive order.

Families should be kept together, the border should be secured as well.

And do you feel the same about the 300+ bills that languish on Reid’s desk?

I thought in school, we were taught there were 3 equal branches in government, not one with a bandleader, the Executive branch. IMHO, that is counter to the Constitution.

As some people say, what if the Chief Executive figured that laws apprehending those arrested for cocaine possession would not be prosecuted. Would that fly? Just rule by personal whim?

Executive orders:

presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php

Not being an expert on how Executive Orders work, I wonder if the same tactic can be applied to other areas. In other words, the President ignored Congress and the people and he ignored the results of the elections in this move, so can a future President who is prolife also ignore Congress, the people, and elections, and on his own accord create an Executive Order banning all abortions?

Are we, in practical application, moving toward a Presidency that is more “King/Queen,” than a co-equal branch of government?

The illegals are not living in the shadows. They are out in the open,walking around in public,driving cars,getting government aid,going to school and working at jobs that they should not have.

So-called immigration reform is a political coup of the Democrat Party to get millions of voters and government dependents.

Will they be able to vote and get welfare?

Illegals can already get government aid.

judicialwatch.org/blog/2011/04/most-illegal-immigrant-families-collect-welfare/

judicialwatch.org/blog/2009/07/illegal-aliens-get-monthly-welfare-checks-0/

thenewamerican.com/reviews/opinion/item/6038-illegal-aliens-get-more-welfare-benefits-than-citizens

cnsnews.com/news/article/dhs-promotes-govt-benefits-immigrants-despite-legal-prohibition-visas-likely-welfare

thegatewaypundit.com/2013/03/california-dreaming-20000-illegal-aliens-apply-for-state-financial-aid-for-first-time/

heritage.org/research/reports/2013/05/the-fiscal-cost-of-unlawful-immigrants-and-amnesty-to-the-us-taxpayer

As for their ability to vote,there are advocates for that.

judicialwatch.org/blog/2010/05/voting-rights-illegal-immigrants/

foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/31/cities-across-us-pushing-plans-to-give-immigrants-right-to-vote/

reuters.com/article/2014/06/16/us-usa-new-york-votingrights-idUSKBN0ER2KU20140616

The Article’s Photo Caption About 100 people gather to rally in support of President Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration policy across from the White House Nov. 21, 2014. Credit: Chip Somodevilla/Getty News Images.

Another view of that caption and info: Only 100 people in a nation with an estimated population of 316,128,839 (US Census Bureau, 2013) gathered to weigh in on President Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration policy across from the White House Nov. 21, 2014. Most prominently featured of the 100 was a person with a “Thank you President Obama” sticker pasted on a poster prominently displaying the SEIU Public Employees Union logo. The SEIU Union has been known to lobby for more and more benefits for the members of its exclusive group … to be financed by US taxpayers at the expense of all other more worthy programs. In 2012 the SEIU urged all its members to support the President Obama’s 2012 campaign regardless of their actual political affiliation or religion. It is not known whether the man in purple above is Catholic or not. At present many Catholic Colleges, Hospitals and Religious Groups are suing the Obama Administration for violating the Constitution’s "free exercise of religion"clause in its HHS mandates.

The article itself, coming from a (usually much better IMO) “Catholic News” source - confuses me too, except in its seeming advocacy for the President. Below I kibbitz (or parse) the lead of the story, its language, and my problem with all that (with my “parsing” in RED).

In this parsing … I will not attempt to be “fair” but rather as zealously an “advocacy journalist” (i.e. partisan) as I perceive the partisanship I’m opposing here is.

Washington D.C., Nov 21, 2014 / 03:35 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- President Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration was met with both praise and concern from Catholic groups, who emphasized that more must be done to find long-term solutions for a broken immigration system. editing note: it’s PEOPLE who, and groups THAT

“I am happy that some temporary relief < (… not very happy perhaps, since it’s only SOME relief, and ***temporary *relief ) is being offered to help parents and children who right now are living in daily fear that their families will be broken up by arrests and deportations,” (why were they NOW living in fear of all that ? ( see possible explanation below) said Archbishop Jose H. Gomez of Los Angeles, the highest-ranking Hispanic bishop in the U.S.
:hmmm: This from a Catholic Source too.

FYI non-Catholic and low info Catholics: the Church doesn’t really keep its “Hispanic Bishops” separate or have a ranking system for them. This is just a PC reference to Archbishop Gomez’ ethnicity and the SIZE of the LA Archdiocese I guess. :shrug:

However, he cautioned, “the relief is not permanent and the problems are still not fixed.”< There is an expression “damning with feint praise …” – is that what this is?

On Thursday night, President Obama announced that he would stay the deportation < that he was planning to do? of certain undocumented immigrant parents < (only certain ones?) for up to three years, < less than 3 mostly allowing them to work <(Ohhh … CAN they? :clapping: legally. < :confused: ! Eligibility requirements< (additional barriers) include < there’s more having lived in the U.S. for at least five years, having children who are U.S. citizens or legal residents, passing a criminal background check and agreeing to pay taxes. <could THESE (4) things be what the POTUS is being “thanked for” by “Catholics”?

Roughly 4 million people will likely qualify < some won’t, even some of the “likely” for this measure, while thousands of others < others - could be … anybody. will benefit from other changes. The president extended benefits of temporary residence <might they not “fear deportation” again or still? to more children of undocumented immigrants, < not all of them? Why the discrimination? expanding the eligibility < but maintaining power over for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and extending their temporary stay <delayed deportation? from two to three years. < it’s not as if his largesse knows NO bounds.

Above I threw the kitchen sink at the article, tossing in critiques that might resonate with conservatives in one place, liberals in others, but consistently critical per the advocacy journalism I was modeling (all aimed at opposing what was done).

There might be some good in what was done … or in what will end UP being done after the executive order is modified or overridden by subsequently passed laws. :shrug:

But I feel co-opted by the “Catholics” tag in the headline … as I might not agree with who is “speaking for me” in all this.

(continued on post 15 )

(continued from post #14)

*The moment: Elian Gonzalez, held by Donato Dalrymple, is taken by U.S. federal agents from his Miami relatives April 22, 2000. U.S. federal authorities stormed the Miami house where Cuban shipwreck survivor Elian Gonzalez was sleeping
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522493/Elian-Gonzalez-cuban-boy-center-bitter-custody-battle-speaks-out.html#ixzz3Jq094L3U

• Perhaps the quintessential photo of the American Government’s hamhanded overreaching in deporting a “hispanic” and ACTUALLY terrorizing his family would have been this one … when the Clinton Adminstration sanctioned home invasion at gunpoint “rescued” the terrified Elian Gonzalez … and forcibly sent him back to the Communist country (Cuba) his mother gave her life to flee (with Elian). She drowned in her effort. He was staying peacably with American relatives.

No

The Gospel this week:

'Come, you who are blessed by my Father.
Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me food,
I was thirsty and you gave me drink,
a stranger and you welcomed me,
naked and you clothed me,
ill and you cared for me,
in prison and you visited me.’
Then the righteous will answer him and say,
'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you,
or thirsty and give you drink?
When did we see you a stranger and welcome you,
or naked and clothe you?
When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’
And the king will say to them in reply,
'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did
for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

:sad_yes: And, coming soon:

John 10:1 "Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever does not enter a sheepfold through the gate but climbs over elsewhere is a thief and a robber.

One scripture for the “hosts”, one for the “guests” - both important and pointing toward peace, love and order between neighbors (and in our relationship with the Lord). :hug3:

Good one;)

How about per the new thread, 120 Bible College students being threatened with deportation while from the government’s own reports, 36,000 convicted criminals released according to immigration officials??

christianpost.com/news/120-christian-students-at-ohio-bible-college-face-deportation-by-us-immigration-agents-129999/

usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/14/immigration-releases-convicted-felons/9090557/

That’s not cricket.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.